Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Sealing walnut stock

Sealing walnut stock

Hey team.
    My stock is coming along just shaping then will do final sand.
    What have people used to finish/seal the finished product? Keen to pick it up
    So I have it on have when the stock is finished. Ideally something from Bunnings/mitre10.
    I already have boiled linseed oil, would that work?

Name:  IMG_2302.jpeg
Views: 293
Size:  2.80 MB

boiled linseed and terps mixed has been used for years..tongue oil is the classic for gunstocks....Ive just used whatever wood type oil is on hand and the stocks get a bit of love with oily rag after day out on hill....my oily rag has whatever is on hand on it..3n1 2 stroke synthetic motor oil,breakfree and my stocks have stood up to test of time... definately NOT shiney pristine showroom finish..but I dont want that on a hunting rifle. yo ucan seal the unseen bits with a polyurethane or similar..eg barrel channel
    mine just got wee bit of oily rag treatment.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

and for the love of all things holy...poke some soft jaws in that vice before akaroa sees it and demands some type of phalic deformation as punishment.
    NO4 likes this.

haha yep that was just hold the rough untouched timber. Hopefully I have a wood vice on the way but this will do for now

Name:  IMG_2303.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  2.48 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Tru oil?
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.

I spy wit hmy beady eyes..you have made a classy buttpate too...... must be a fair few jandle rubber ones around now....

I was a fan of tru-oil. Also see a tru-oil/armour-all mix is meant to work very well.
    Last one I did was with Danish oil and pretty happy with that, but that hasn't made it into the field just yet
    Micky Duck likes this.

I always use lacquer based sanding sealer then sand it off with fine wet & dry. That fills the pores before you apply an oil finish. I always use artist's linseed oil for that, available at any art supply, paper plus, etc. That gives you a traditional London oil finish.

I use spar varnish, sand and tung/Danish oil

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I spy wit hmy beady eyes..you have made a classy buttpate too...... must be a fair few jandle rubber ones around now....
    Ha that’s for my .223 carbon stock
    I am reusing the t-bolt synthetic butplate on this as it has a spare mag storage in it
    Micky Duck likes this.

I drench the stock with tung oil and leave it a full week, then use sandpaper soaked in tung oil and go over the whole stock to create a sort of mud. This fills the pores, then leave it another week. Then sand again using finer and finer paper until satisfied with the result. The occasional drop of oil after that will keep it pristine.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphus View Post
    Hey team.
    My stock is coming along just shaping then will do final sand.
    What have people used to finish/seal the finished product? Keen to pick it up
    So I have it on have when the stock is finished. Ideally something from Bunnings/mitre10.
    I already have boiled linseed oil, would that work?

Attachment 227054
    the bloody heathens who have replied - boiled turps - if doing a new stock mix in a little turps to get it to soak in - other wise boiled linseed and hand rub - that has done best English for years - hand rub and rub and polish with more hand rubbing - the more you do the better it will look
    Woody likes this.

And don't forget to put a schnabel on the front.
    dannyb and makka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    And don't forget to put a schnabel on the front.
    or a piece of rosewood

Done a number in the last few years. Best I’ve found is to get some spar varnish and thin it down with vegetable turps. Talking 50/50. Paint it on until it won’t absorb any more- end grain will take a lot.

Other option is boiled linseed oil, but it will need a dryer added if you want to get the stock done in any reasonable time frame. Boiled linseed oil takes forever to oxidise, and can be a real pain if you inadvertently put it on too thick.

Give me a pm and I can talk you through the process start to finish if you want.
    Woody, Micky Duck and makka like this.