Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: shooting sticks

shooting sticks

Am looking at getting anything from a monopod through to a tall bipod or tall tripod.

The primary purpose is for walking and shooting rabbits on farmland and orchards. The ones I am trying to get are getting fairly skittish and will run if within 75 yards.
    My freehand shots on rabbit size targets beyond 75 are not good enough to rely on.

With all the long grass around lately, prone/sitting shooting isn’t practical.

I am really keen to read some experience based opinions on what works well, is reliable and practical.

A monopod that is useful for a walking stick on the long bush walks is appealing but not to compromise the primary purpose.

MB
    Quad sticks will be far more stable than a bipod or tripod and are easy to make unless you are determined to spend money. There's a few threads already on the subject if you do a search.

caberslash likes this.

I used std manuka pole about 6" long in same conditions, braced hand against pole and either just rested forestock across top of wrist,or did the fingers on pole and some on rifle thing... with .22lr or my .223 either works well.
    Bill999 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

+1 for quad sticks.

If you can afford it, get a Primos Trigger Stick. Buy once, cry once.
    I use a three legged one for night vision hunting rabbits. Can body shoot to 150m with .17HMR.
    carlhurley and lau lau like this.

Agree with Hot barrels.
    I tried a monopod. Not stable enough in my opinion (at least not for me) Then went to a trigger stick tripod, its a little more bulk and weight to carry but very stable. The trigger stick is fast and simple to deploy.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

does the tripod stay stable on uneven ground?
    I won’t be using it on anything steep, more wondering if placement choice is important or will it cope with divots and clumps.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    does the tripod stay stable on uneven ground?
    I won’t be using it on anything steep, more wondering if placement choice is important or will it cope with divots and clumps.
    Yes it does. Squeeze the trigger on the trigger stick and the legs will extend to where they hit ground. So each leg can go to different extension length. Uneven ground is no problem.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Quad sticks will be far more stable than a bipod or tripod and are easy to make unless you are determined to spend money. There's a few threads already on the subject if you do a search.

I tried this route - couldnt find Quad sticks in NZ when I was looking for these late last year - some UK writeups get great reviews for some Scandanavian make - but hellishly expensive...

I went the tripod route with handle grip - took a punt as it wasn't a top brand - damn does it perform and do what I need it to

Superb shots pulled off with this at night, 17 HMR and NV... I love this thing!!!

https://ridgelineclothing.co.nz/speed-stick-monopod-1

Grip the handle and the legs all independently adjust to the height you need if on uneven ground.
    I sometimes use this with one leg clipped to one of the others, so as to let the thing cant back towards me for a quicker shot.

great piece of kit without paying stupid money, and works as intended.

MB
    I have both. Prefer quad sticks for shooting from standing, but they're obviously too tall for shots from a seated position, so use a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I have both. Prefer quad sticks for shooting from standing, but they're obviously too tall for shots from a seated position, so use a tripod.
    MB, did you make some quads, or acquire some ? I'd still love to try them out over the triple, they look bloody stable...

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Factory Trigger View Post
    MB, did you make some quads, or acquire some ? I'd still love to try them out over the triple, they look bloody stable...
    I made mine. Takes a little messing around to get the height just right, but after that, they're sweet. Cut the top a bit shorter on the pole nearest your aiming eye, makes gun mounting and orientation a little easier. Also, cover the poles in cloth tape to make them quieter and more comfortable to hold on cold days. They're not as fast to deploy as the the Trigger Stick Tripod, but very stable.

Thanks all for your input. After reading it all and watching that video and then doing a bit of further enquiring through google, I have ordered the primos tripod. It was a close race between the tripod and the quad sticks but time is more constrained than money right now and the tripod can double as a support for the spotting scope.
    I will update again once it has had a few trips in the field.

I have just got the primos as well. Short version for the hills as I find sitting down happens a lot when taking shots. Rabbiting, prob would go the long version because of the long grass. I have a javelin bipod quick release adapter magnet thingy on the rifle so I have fitted the Primos with an adapter that I can use the camera and rifle when needed.

I made a set from garden stakes, the only problem I found was that traverse to follow a target that moves is akward, so I've fixed a bit if strapping between the front poles and that gives about 10 degrees if traverse. Closed up they make an adequate hill stick as well.