Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Short barreled 7 saum or .284 win

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    More long range practise with the scope you are using now will see you right, i have the same scope on a 7mm08 and have no problem hitting an A4 sheet of paper at 1000yrds.

Practise practise practise

But i do commend anyone passing up a shot if things don't feel right on the day.
    Pffft that's nothing you should get a 223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    How long do suppressors last on these 18-20" barrel ones? Thats a fair bit of snort ripping out the end.
    The suppressor on mine is a Hardy time bomb magnum suppressor Gen 4 brought it from Cam came off his old 7mm saum it goes good hope to get at least another 200 odd rounds out of it.

Going back to the original question. Like many I pondered this as I wanted a 7mm saum. I almost went down the tikka 708 conversion road but a couple of gunsmiths I talked to said its easier said than done (apparently they had some bad experiences) I then bought and sold a model 7 with wyatt box. Ended up rebarreling a 270wsm ruger I got cheep to 7mm saum using a $100 rem barrel I bought on TM . Barrel was chopped to 20" and fluted . Shoots under 1" no probs with 150 coreloks over 2209 and 160 nabs over RE19 and RE17. Have been able to get Remington cases ok.

Quote Originally Posted by nevereadyfreddy View Post
    Going back to the original question. Like many I pondered this as I wanted a 7mm saum. I almost went down the tikka 708 conversion road but a couple of gunsmiths I talked to said its easier said than done (apparently they had some bad experiences) I then bought and sold a model 7 with wyatt box. Ended up rebarreling a 270wsm ruger I got cheep to 7mm saum using a $100 rem barrel I bought on TM . Barrel was chopped to 20" and fluted . Shoots under 1" no probs with 150 coreloks over 2209 and 160 nabs over RE19 and RE17. Have been able to get Remington cases ok.
    What made you part with the model 7 out of interest?

Im in the midst of gathering the bits for a 7-08 > 284 build on a tikka action that will take place over the winter months. Will be an 18" barrel T3. SHould be a bloddy good allrounder.

The Saum seems to have a bit more poke but would require boltface mods no?

Currently mortgaging my house to buy a t3 LA mag , christ they are expensive for 20cents worth of plastic. They are even expensive from the states, although slightly cheaper than here. I hear the 7mm mag mag?! feed the 284 very well

Think I have this nailed down to a tikka 7-08 then rechamber to .284
    Or factory model 7 saum, what's everyone's thoughts on the model 7 in
    Saum? Only concern is ease of feeding and short mag length

My Model 7 in 7SAUM feeds a 140accubond load well. My 162 amax is too long for the magazine so I single feed those with no issues. Good luck finding a model 7 in 7SAUM, unless you already have one sorted.
    7mmsaum likes this.

can't fit a wyatt's extended mag box to a model 7 as rear of magazine slot cannot be machined as trigger is too close, so no easy options to seat longer projectiles out close to lands and feed out of mag. For those of you necking down the norma brass, have you found it soft versus the rem brass and are you having to back loads off in norma versus the rem?

Yep Norma and nosler custom brass is soft compared to Remington.
    GWH likes this.

The models 7's dont come in stainless now either. If thats important for you

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    My Model 7 in 7SAUM feeds a 140accubond load well. My 162 amax is too long for the magazine so I single feed those with no issues. Good luck finding a model 7 in 7SAUM, unless you already have one sorted.
    Two or three in the mag stug?

three from memory, will check tonight.

Caretaker

Short barreled 7 saum or .284 win

Three

And they fit in the mag well enough that fluting doesn't bother them
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    What made you part with the model 7 out of interest?
    The model 7 was fine but mag was a little short (even with wyatt box) and didnt feed that well. Perhaps it could have been sorted but then the $100 rem barrel showed up along with the 270 ruger which has a longer mag and controlled feed. It evolved from there.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Theres one on trade me right now.
    I would of said they pop up reasonably often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk