Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Short range, short length bush rifle?

MB
    Yes.

Caliber and length?

Pics of how you have set it up?

Im overly invested now haha
    Sasquatch and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Got my hands on a Bergara today. First impressions, solid little unit. Very well made. Impressed!
    Yeah they are a neat wee rifle. Not as light as you might think. I have had a good play with a mates one, surprisingly good trigger. I'm pretty keen on getting when $$ allow. I like the 16.5" 1:8 twist .308, it would be very versatile. Although I've always had a thing for the 44mag...

I reckon it would be great for you. You would just have to practice loading and shooting quickly if knocking over lots of goats is your goal.
    MB likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

MB
    Hi Bill. Decided on the Bergara in 300BLK. Boring story about how I came to that decision, so I'll spare you. Barrel is 16.5inch. Overall gun length is 80cm. I will put a suppressor on it and a low magnification scope. Plan to shoot factory Sub-x. Having done a bit more reading, the goats should fall down with these rounds, if they don't, I'll switch to supersonic. I wanted a rifle that was different from my fairly standard Tikka setup. Short overall length = yes; factory subsonic hunting rounds = yes; take down is a bonus for those family tramping trips where I can do a bit of hunting. Only thing I would change is the rifle in stainless steel, but that isn't available in 300BLK. Pretty happy with this choice, but we will see!
    Dama dama likes this.

Iv got 5 of the sub x taped together in the pocket of my oilskin i'm wearing so needless to say im a fan.

they kill pretty well from what Iv seen in my personal use
    goats dont run like pigs tend to so I think it will be perfect, do look at roberts 151s as a cheep pop round when you can be arsed handloading

I get constant shit from my mates about my "Poachers gun" because its such an awesome bit of kit, takedown is taking that to a whole new level haha
    MB likes this.

Gkp
    Name:  IMG_20200524_180838.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  3.85 MB
    I like my Thompson 308. Pulls apart and packs down with an Allen key. Accurate sub loads @100 yards and it is happy to shoot pretty much any thing you feed it.
    Bill999, Sasquatch, MB and 1 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Hi Bill. Decided on the Bergara in 300BLK. Boring story about how I came to that decision, so I'll spare you. Barrel is 16.5inch. Overall gun length is 80cm. I will put a suppressor on it and a low magnification scope. Plan to shoot factory Sub-x. Having done a bit more reading, the goats should fall down with these rounds, if they don't, I'll switch to supersonic. I wanted a rifle that was different from my fairly standard Tikka setup. Short overall length = yes; factory subsonic hunting rounds = yes; take down is a bonus for those family tramping trips where I can do a bit of hunting. Only thing I would change is the rifle in stainless steel, but that isn't available in 300BLK. Pretty happy with this choice, but we will see!
    DPT do a mini-centrefire suppressor for the Bergara, I have one for my 16.5 " 308, it has slightly less length overbarrel so no need to cut the foreend.
    Bill999, Dama dama and MB like this.