Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Shortened 7mm08 advice

Shortened 7mm08 advice

Hey Team,

I’m going to be buying a new rifle soon, a Tikka T3X Superlite to be precise.
    I’m most likely going to be getting a 7mm08 and want to shorten the barrel and use a Hardy Covert suppressor.
    The question is what length do others have their 7mm08’s cut to and what factory loads to you shoot?
    Wanting to be able to shoot out to 300-400m max with the build. Will a shortened 7mm08 still have enough energy at said range for ethical kills as long as the shooter plays their part?
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

7RMBoy

Hey mate, i love my 17" 7mm08 its super light, nimble as heck and shoots like a dream. As for loads, i havnt shot any factory loads through it. I shoot the 162 amax and its good to just under 600m for deer ( thats as far as i will want to shoot it). I believe handloading for shortened rifles allows you to regain the performance from lopping off 4 or 5 inches. Id suggest the 139gr sst factory load(superformance?), although i understand that 7mm08 factory ammo is pretty scarce at the momemt. Any other questions fire away bud!
    Carbine, mimms2 and 7RMBoy like this.

16in would allow you to retain plenty of speed/energy for 400 yds and then some. Personally I’d run a larger pill like 150ELDx or 162s. BC is the gift that keeps giving
    7RMBoy likes this.

Ever way at the moment you are up against it.
    Doesn't matter what caliber it is trying to find the right factory rounds its impossible and reloading components are worth gold
    7RMBoy likes this.

Sorry to highjack the thread (a little). I understand that the high BC projectiles extend the range of short barrelled rifles but how do they perform for the 50-150 yard shots that tend to be the most common for these types of outfits?
    7RMBoy likes this.

It’s sounding like 16-17” is a pretty good bet.
    I have a couple of boxes on 160gr Accubonds that I was using for my 7mm rem but I’m still learning the whole reloading art so haven’t been successful with that yet. Would those be a good option for a 7mm08?

Definitely a good question rossm, I’d be pretty interested to know the answer too.

my model 7 708 is 17" i am running 150gn ELDX in my hand loads these are devestating out to plenty far enough, my furthest shot so far is 330 yards,
    unfortunately haven't shot anything much closer yet, but with 145gn eldx in my old 270win I shot reds and fallow from inside 20 yards to 400 plus with great effect, don't stole them too hot and they are better up close but that said I had no issues at sensible velocities.
    as a side note the hornandy precision hunter ELDX factory loads also shot well out of my rifle. I may even have a few left....
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by 7RMBoy View Post
    It’s sounding like 16-17” is a pretty good bet.
    I have a couple of boxes on 160gr Accubonds that I was using for my 7mm rem but I’m still learning the whole reloading art so haven’t been successful with that yet. Would those be a good option for a 7mm08?
    The accubonds are considered a pretty tough projectiles, youll need to drive them pretty hard which might be hard in a short barrel like 17", id be worried that they wouldnt expand enough to create an effective wound channel. My 162s are running at 2495fps and even though they are a frangible , they are going at the right speed to expand reliably and not blow up at close range, but still have enough velocity to work well at distance.

I use the Sako ammo 140 gn in my Tikka T3X 7mm08... was averaging about 2800ft/sec from around 10 shots. Super accurate and not a bad price, about 1 inch groups at 100 mtrs, by an ordinary shooter. Mine is unmodified and I don't have a suppressor. Great rifle and ammo. I've also tried Remington Corelokt or whatever it is.. sprayed it a little more but still ok.

140 gr Nosler ballistic tips are a better projectile for 7-08 particularly at the velocities you are like to be getting, ELD-X or M likewise. 160 Accubonds are a very tough projectile that works well in 7mm WSM from what I've seen, probably 7mm RM and 280AI at also, but they require velocity and placement to break bone to be efficient.
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...

I ran an 18inch tikka7mm08 for years, ran as a long actiom and threw the 162Amax @ 2530fps.
    Fallow and goats werent an issue out to 500meters.
    With longest shot being a 602meter goat.

Helped that i was runnomg a leupold vx6 3-18x44
    keengunNic and superdiver like this.
    Using Tapatalk

re shorter range......why folks dont simply run two loads is beyond me.....eg stick something you know works fine up close in chamber for the spook n shoot..and have your super sleak sexy long rang loads 2 rounds away...so if you presented with shot at 300-400,you take one out of chamber,next one out of mag and good to go...or have your sleak jobbies in top pocket....if you have time to find rest needed for 400 yard shot you have time to switch loads.
    options for close range are endless...from old school cup n core---partitions----barnes....take your pick. one will shoot close enough to your sleak sexy to make no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    re shorter range......why folks dont simply run two loads is beyond me.....eg stick something you know works fine up close in chamber for the spook n shoot..and have your super sleak sexy long rang loads 2 rounds away...so if you presented with shot at 300-400,you take one out of chamber,next one out of mag and good to go...or have your sleak jobbies in top pocket....if you have time to find rest needed for 400 yard shot you have time to switch loads.
    options for close range are endless...from old school cup n core---partitions----barnes....take your pick. one will shoot close enough to your sleak sexy to make no difference.
    Have adapted this and works good. Here's a comparison from my 308. Same distance. Note the bullet weights. From 130-178. Shot at 100yards.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Greetings Southerner 223, Micky and all,
    My experience with the .308 matches yours. I did some comparative tests recently with the .308. With the 150 grain projectile zeroed the 130 grain shot high (expected) and right and the 165 grain shot not quite as high but a little further right. Good accuracy but different points of impact. A different test with the 7mm-08 had the 140 and 150 grain projectiles shooting to exactly the same point of impact in spite of over 100 fps difference in velocity. My 6.5 x 55 also shoots almost everything through the same hole. I guess each calibre has a tendency to place projectiles of different weights close to the same point of impact and some, like my .308, do not. The only way to find out is to test as you have done. Results at longer range may differ.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Southerner223 likes this.