Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Shotgun on Goats

I've used a semi with 00 buckshot on pigs out to 40 metres - devastating is all I can say. Would happily use it again given the opportunity. And many years beck Graham Henry did a test fire for the Rod and Rifle, using 12g slugs, rifled barrels, rifled chokes etc. He shot many 3" groups at 100, off the bench, and was happy to use slugs on deer to 150 metres. Obviously best results were with a fully rifled slug barrel, but the rifled chokes were very very close to the 3". The best slugs were the saboted ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    from a chopper in search n destroy by DOC and will go up as more S&D happening as numbers creep up...thar are shot same way,many a big bull has been recovered with 00 in its body somewhere.
    Actually more than 10 years – prob more like 20. They using on Tahr too ??

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I've been to the place you are talking about a couple times, and I second the 357, suppressed if possible. With .38special for the closer stuff (25-50m) it's as quiet as suppressed 22. You'll be able to catch them sunning themselves pretty often, need to get in there quietly with a 4 stroke bike with the gun on the bars or something and get the jump on the pricks. It would be good to chuck a couple cameras in to see where they are and when (also to catch the neighbours having a wander).
    Having used a rossi 357 with 38 special subs and a decent suppressor. They're really quiet and are dynamite on the goats. Have to do a good shot as we seemed to get pass throughs pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    #3-4 wont do it unless you are under 5 yards......trust me it wont work,tried it on wallabies which are thinner skinned with lighter bones. 00 is good but pattern can get patchy thus why I suggested #7 buck or BBs.
    Ah well. I'll use them on turkeys then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Actually more than 10 years – prob more like 20. They using on Tahr too ??
    surely do...article in R&R mag a while back was "the buckshot bull" has buckshot embedded in horn from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by oxfarmer View Post
    Shotguns are commonly used on white tail deer in the states. Many states have a shotgun only season before the main hunting season opens and a lot of deer are taken with buckshot. A full grown whitetail is a lot bigger than a goat.
    Doesn't make it right though, does it?

MB
    I don't like the idea of using anything smaller than a slug on an animal larger than a hare, but that's just me. I have no experience of such things. What's the benefit of a shotgun with a rifled barrel over a rifle?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    What's the benefit of a shotgun with a rifled barrel over a rifle?
    The amount of lead that makes things dead.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Close range buck shot is very effective
    Im talking 25m though

MB
    I've heard that some rifles make things dead too, but fair enough.

To me, the important thing is a clean kill, even on pests. Any decision should have that as a baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Having used a rossi 357 with 38 special subs and a decent suppressor. They're really quiet and are dynamite on the goats. Have to do a good shot as we seemed to get pass throughs pretty easily.
    Velocity is your friend, and 38 special doesn't have much of that. Just a fat 22 sub all up
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I don't like the idea of using anything smaller than a slug on an animal larger than a hare, but that's just me. I have no experience of such things. What's the benefit of a shotgun with a rifled barrel over a rifle?
    Still allowed to be a semi auto and you get more decent sized pellets in the spread.

If there were decent mobs and you're a good shot with appropriate ranges then you can deal with a few. As opposed to a tiny 22 mag or a bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Velocity is your friend, and 38 special doesn't have much of that. Just a fat 22 sub all up
    These were around 1000 fps. Not sure what the bullet size was. Some big cast ones. Thinking around 130 grain.

MB
    Still allowed to be a semi auto and you get more decent sized pellets in the spread.
    Not on DOC land you aren't.

If there were decent mobs and you're a good shot with appropriate ranges then you can deal with a few. As opposed to a tiny 22 mag or a bolt.
    I have easily knocked down half a dozen or so on open farmland with a bolt action/3 round magazine. I enjoy shooting goats, but they are pretty dumb.

Not on DOC land you aren't.

I have easily knocked down half a dozen or so on open farmland with a bolt action/3 round magazine. I enjoy shooting goats, but they are pretty dumb.
    Well no. But I guess a lot of the decent mobs left are on private land.

22? I found it was pretty underwhelming. I had a crappy coke bottle glassed scope on the rifle I borrowed so was doing shoulder shots.

.357 mag lever gun gets the job done, .44 mag for that matter. I tend to find getting close to goats is a problem where I've gone, but 00 buck gets the job done within 30m with a tight choke. To be fair slugs are what I'd consider as they can be pretty accurate even out of a smooth barrel cylinder bore. My mossberg is reliably accurate with quality slugs. There are some Italian rounds called target slugs that are cheap and reasonably good about $35 for 25 that I buy from Wills Outfitters in Kumeu.