Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: SMLE 303

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    Hello ,
    Im looking at this ol 303 for my first deer hunting rifle.
    I have a collection of mostly rim fire guns ( .22 and .22mag ) and a ol under over shotgun.

Does this 303 require much to get it up to speed to shoot dear without spending a whole lot of money on her , as that would defeat the purpose of buying her..

Could i get your opinion on this ol girl for a first deer gun , untill i buy a decent 308 .
    Thanks in advance

link below
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...3?bof=cDSG1sDt
    The decision is more about how much space you have in your gun safe, I say you should buy it and use it until you can save up and buy your .308...gun safes should be full, as rifles are a companion thing and need lots of friends...of course once you have lots of guns then one has to ponder the decision of which one to take on a hunt and then worry all day that you took the right one.
    mimms2 and Jusepy like this.

mmmm I found one i couldnt resist on trade me and decided to bite the bullet and buy it.
    Name:  30.3.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  387.3 KB
    Name:  1557074128.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  303.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  256.9 KB
    Name:  lithglow303.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  283.3 KB

Opinions please and thank you.
    Last edited by Jusepy; 23-06-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    northdude and bumblefoot like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

For $151 you wont lose much if its a lemon.

Now go out and shoot and enjoy it.
    Last edited by dogmatix; 23-06-2021 at 09:34 PM.
    Cordite likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Thats exactly what i thought.
    Patience Is A Virtue

I bought my Sako 75 Finnlight from them 12 years ago. Only days before xmas.
    They got it to me before the holiday closure.
    Good to deal with.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I looked HARD at that one myself...the scope mount is unusual and would possibly fetch that amount of dosh on its own....
    Robert has some cast projectiles that work well by all accounts...you in manawatu...see what belmont has and just enjoy the old girl....any group under 4" is a very dead deer sub hundy yards....
    Jusepy likes this.

Thanks mighty duck , I am looking forward too getting her and shooting my first deer with her.
    Even if she just sits in my gun safe and looks pretty I dont mind.
    Next step , what rounds should i fire out of her for deer...... Advice please.
    Patience Is A Virtue

try 180 grn winchester......seems a lot of 303s PREFER the 180s over the 150s if you have KNOWLEDGABLE TRUSTED reloading mate,the world is your oyster.
    keep all your brass reguardless...sooner or later the bug will bite,and if not give to someone who has been bitten (maybe even get some loaded rounds back in exchange) get in close,aim to take out the front wheels....and enjoy having rifle you can use,that will handle a bit of abuse.... even when have another rifle if the one you just bought is reliable...it will be good spare/loaner rifle for the mate who sometimes comes for hunt but doesnt have own rifle yet.
    Jusepy likes this.

I dont have any mates that reload , but im sure i will keep this gun for years as i dont part with things easily lol .

I will buy a 308 eventually but needed something to go hunting with the brother in law as he reckons two guns on a deer hunt is better than one so ill make this old girl work.

He wont be happy with what I brought though but it will be me shooting it not him. He has a tikka 308 and has been hunting for a few years where as its basically I have not shot a deer yet but been out a few times with him. I have done lots of rabbit shooting so know how to handle a rifle though.
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Privi Partisan (PPU) 180gn Soft Points should be the go for your 303.
    Jusepy likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

That looks like a good authentic 303. Will be a good first rifle. As several have said, also a good spare in years to come.
    Factory ammo will be expensive. Try and find something fairly cheap, so you can buy 2 or 3 boxes the same. 150gr will be OK too.
    Try and get an experience person to sight it in for you - can waste a lot of ammo if you get disoriented. Always fire 3 shot groups. Nevder adjust on a single shot. The 303 is just not accurate enough to do that.
    Jusepy likes this.

I found that the 150gr Highland shoots well in my SMLE. 3" groups at 100 with a 2.5x scope and 16.5 barrel, I'm sure it will do better now I have the 3=9 on it. My old eyes aren't as flash at 100m with a 2.5x
    Bagheera and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    You can get some pretty good Remington/Winchester/Ruger 243 308 etc for a good price incl scope.
    Would be a better option.

This is indicative
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...e4b36f2868-007
    I once borrowed a Weatherby vanguard 243 with a view to selling it on behalf for a mate.
    The trigger was awful and would cost $100 to adjust. The gun was heavier than my 303, less accurate and half as powerful.
    Another mate (expert hunter) did shoot a deer with it but I had to give it back unsold.

You can take your time now looking found for a quality second hand rifle and scope.
    Micky Duck and Jusepy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    I dont have any mates that reload , but im sure i will keep this gun for years as i dont part with things easily lol .
    Good on ya, for $151 what the heck.. what it's crying out for is a Lee Loader for back to basics simple handloading. $65-$75 for a complete reloading kit..what I started with 44 years ago, still have and still love to use. May be hard to find new at the mo but they come up on TM from time to time or someone on here might sell you one.

Get a tub of IMR3031, there's still some around, and some 175-180gn flatbased soft point projectiles.

If you flare the case mouth you could try some of Rob Walkers excellent cast boolits.

If you need someone to yarn about it for basics PM me.

Also check out JeffinNZ posts on the Cast Bullet Association Website. Knows more about loading and shooting 303B than most.
    bumblefoot, Micky Duck and Jusepy like this.

northdude
    Just shhot it and enjoy it for what it is
    bumblefoot and Jusepy like this.