Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: So who is a forum smarty pants then?!

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I have acquired a New England Arms rear peep for the rail on my T3 , barrel is threaded for suppressor, am working on ideas for how I will make a removable front sight so I can switch from the scope (on quick release weavers) to the peep depending on the bush, not taken the last two "spook and shoot" opportunities as too close to determine aim point, having a colour in your scope doesn't count (4.5-14 loopy). I tend to be slower and more deliberate about taking shots than some.

Quite like the idea of my 18" 6.5 T3 on open sights, so looking for clever ideas as to how to make what I want for the front end.
    Had one of these set up on my Mini14, it seemed like a good idea back then but never got to use it.
    Name:  Bsa.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  105.7 KB
    Name:  Offset.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  25.8 KB

More here: Magpul rear sight after scope install and storage question - Page 3 - AR15.COM
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

I use a side mount optic like in the pic above, on my open rifle. They work brilliant.

Should work in a piggyback setup too
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Offset red dot = great, offset irons = terrible, both are slightly more tacticool than BUIS mounted with a scope, are you going to run an over-barrel suppressor?
    I would have thought possibly mounting a foresight on a threaded cap would be accurate enough for an open sight? Otherwise barrel mounting a flip up

R93
    I run a JP offset V blade and post iron sight, that I grabbed off a member on here, on my AR.

I have fitted an intrafuse coloured front sight and can shoot it accurately enough to hit A zones all day long inside 50 m.
    It fits a rail and I only put it on when needed.
    Holds perfect zero and a similar setup would be more than adequate for close range type hunting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Why take off the front sight? With a 4x you will not see it anyway I'd expect. (Too close to the scope to focus on) Or do you mean the rear sight?

For the removable option, you will need very good rings as you will likely be wanting the scope for long shots which will be out with even the slightest of variance in alignment. It can be done but the only ones I have seen that were accurate enough for me were on scopes upwards of $4k on rifles designed for it (over $12k).

I would actually suggest dropping back to a 1.5-6x scope and leave it on, or learn to get the most from peep sights at long range. Otherwise peep through rings would be an option, but not what I would do myself.
    Must be something wrong with how I do stuff sometimes, this is the 3rd rifle where I have used a rail and quick detatch rings, and they keep holding zero and I keep shooting stuff a long way off, but everybody keeps telling me I can't do it! I want to organise a front sight that gives me the option of suppressor or not, Friwi's idea looks good, alternately making something based around the threaded cap is a goer if I live without the suppressor.

somewhere on another thread some chaps were doing it for their pig hunting rifles.....mounted an aperture on a scope base.......... got me thinking why not fit one in reap scope base and another in the front........ pistol type site radius but enough for bush ranges. magic red lazer beam sounds like a winner to me, they work as a rangefinder too if you mount then slightly above or below scope. have beam hitting crosshair at say 100 yards then you know if you are under or over that range by where dot is in scope.....
    257weatherby likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    somewhere on another thread some chaps were doing it for their pig hunting rifles.....mounted an aperture on a scope base.......... got me thinking why not fit one in reap scope base and another in the front........ pistol type site radius but enough for bush ranges. magic red lazer beam sounds like a winner to me, they work as a rangefinder too if you mount then slightly above or below scope. have beam hitting crosshair at say 100 yards then you know if you are under or over that range by where dot is in scope.....
    Funnily enough, the idea of using the rail itself for both sights occurred to me when I was trolling ebay, there is a lot of stuff there cheap enough to buy on spec, just to see if it works, all sorts of barrel mounted options too, AR type stuff, but just ream the barrel mount to suit.

Sounds gimmicky why not just ditch the luppy (I still don't no how they charge so much for a scope with only a 3x mag range) and buy something useful like a 2-10hd5 or a 3-10 swaro or even a 2-12vx6... Or even a March 52mm version...

T3 Battue?

Name:  Battue.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  234.6 KB

Name:  P2140008.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  962.9 KB

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by kokako View Post
    Where do I put the suppressor?
    Timmay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Funnily enough, the idea of using the rail itself for both sights occurred to me when I was trolling ebay, there is a lot of stuff there cheap enough to buy on spec, just to see if it works, all sorts of barrel mounted options too, AR type stuff, but just ream the barrel mount to suit.
    Yeah, probably thats the easiest. It shouldn't be to difficult to make something like this to fit the barrel just before the suppr. or half way up the barrel scout style than it shouldnt get tangled.
    Name:  opplanet-leapers-utg-tactical-front-sight-for-mossberg-12ga-shotgun-and-variant-mnt-722-main.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  12.0 KB
    But it depends on the height you need. It can be detach if indexed on the barrel like some of the brakes. Used to have an old Mauser with the claw type detach mount, never had any issues with accuracy after removing. People always said it won't hold zero but none of them actually owned one in their life.