Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: sr556 vs nea ar15

SR556 would be awesome if it was 500gms lighter and not a piston gun

Same with SR762

NEA also have heavy furniture + barrels

I have found you actually want a bit of weight in a 3gun rifle although personal preference may differ. 3gun courses will test you, they shouldnt be setup to your strengths. A bit of weight in the fore end is a benefit especially when you find yourself trying to hit somthing small at 200 yards while standing without a rest or leaning around a barricade shooting weak hand. Good trigger will be a priority here to.
    A light gun may help on short range hoser stages for maneuverability but the trade off will be muzzle jump and getting alot of feedback through the gun which isnt a bad thing but you start getting sight picture deviation. The sr556 would probably make a real nifty ipsc shooter if thats your intention. A little heavy for a hunting tool but its a preference thing.
    Last edited by Towely; 26-12-2013 at 10:14 PM.

food for thought mate
    thanks

The NEA with the 14.5 or 12.5 barrel would be a considerable weight saving compared to the 18" model. And from reading the different forums on here no accuracy loss either.

R93
    Rejecting a semi because it incorporates a piston driven gas system is one of the strangest things I have heard, regarding firearms.
    DI only come about in the late 50's. It is nonadjustable, dirty and normally requires a buffer, limiting stock options. It works for the most part but when it fails, the rifle is useless until repaired.
    Even with a 2 setting piston rifle you have an adverse setting when it slows down.

Ideally I would prefer a completely adjustable system like the FN/L1A1 but a true short stroke, so the rifle can be balanced to suit the load, reducing recoil and saving the wear on the major working parts and receiver. And it can even aid in brass collection.
    Think I would also prefer a front heavy rifle for any type of action or combat shooting which I have done a bit of. A SIG 550/551 would be my ideal range toy. AR's to me, are very common therefore very boring.
    Last edited by R93; 27-12-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Being non adjustable isnt quite true. Being a dirty system to run isnt true either. As for limiting stock options? Have a look around at whats available for an AR and then give me a list of stock options for an SLR for example, or a G3. Everythings good and well until it fails, thats a non argument. Common therefore boring isnt a bad thing as parts availability is good. There is a very good reason why ARs are the top choice for 3gun and service rifle shooters. I will leave you to figure out why

R93
    Last edited by R93; 27-12-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    Neckshot likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Gas Piston AR's introduce other caveats to a system that was never designed to be piston operated. Any perceived benefits that piston systems offer are irrelevant to civilian use.

Haha, I knew R93 was gonna post that emoticon before I saw it ....