Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Steady Stix. An aid for old codgers.

I use a pair of steady sticks 1m tall for kneeling shots, cross hill or down hill. Shot a fallow buck at 175m in January, downhill off them with the 270.
    I use them a lot for shooting Roos, so used to them.
    I have a pair of standing sticks for roo shooting. They can be used for sitting, kneeling etc too. For Pest control shooting mainly because of the hassle of setting them up but very good for rabbits and roos in long grass or tussock, esp if shooting up or downhill on steep angles.
    Name:  DSC_0151.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  4.43 MB
    Mooseman and dannyb like this.

MB
    I think all this very much depends on what you're up to. I wouldn't be without my quad sticks for rabbit hunting and my cheapo tripod is great for shooting pigs on a farm at night. Would I want to carry either through the bush, or up a mountain? No!
    Moa Hunter and WillB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I think all this very much depends on what you're up to. I wouldn't be without my quad sticks for rabbit hunting and my cheapo tripod is great for shooting pigs on a farm at night. Would I want to carry either through the bush, or up a mountain? No!
    I've started using walking poles. I use one to hold up my Lanshan 1 tent and the other makes a great bino rest when glassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    I've taken to using walking poles to ease the load on my hips and ankles..
    I'm sure i read somewhere that using 2 walking poles takes 25% of the stress (on the legs and body) away, That's pretty significant!

I would vouch for that
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I'm sure i read somewhere that using 2 walking poles takes 25% of the stress (on the legs and body) away, That's pretty significant!
    Yeah man. They are pretty mean. You feel like a Nancy at first but that quickly fades when you notice how good they are. Saves the knees big time, especially on the downhill
    Woody, Mooseman and bumblefoot like this.

After spending much time suffering and reading reviews and sorting out the nonsense.
    I came to two choices stealthpodx and viper flex both have a price tags, but in the end I went with viper flex sold here out of kaikoura.
    They just seemed more stable for the shooting I am doing at present.
    I have no natural forward hold left and was using a mono pod tentman+ had made me. This helped me alot, but I wasn't quite steady enough !the viper flex took the wobble out. I am still adapting to them but they have increased the telly and I am pleased enough with them.
    I went for the cheaper set made of aluminum ! they also make aluminium rapt in carbon fiber I think.
    I was going to build my own but the savings and finding material wasn't worth it in the end.
    Plus they arrived with in a two day period.
    I shoot minute of rabbit no problem standing, which is when they are first seen. I was losing to many getting prone off the bipod, when setting up they knew it and took off. The unit allows me quick setup with out to much movement.
    KH
    Tentman and Phil_H like this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Who in Kaikoura sells Viper-Flex and which model.

I have a set of Viper-Flex Journey, but bought them years ago off one of the guys who makes them who was out here trying to find a distributor.

Great on flat ground, not so good on the hills.