Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulNZ

Thread: Stiffness problem :)

northdude

Stiffness problem :)

I've got a stiffness problem
    With my howa mini stock . It tends to randomly move to one side and touch the barrel causing zero to move. Anyone successfully stiffened one of these up

Exactly. But if you're not an archer, it might be easier and cheaper to get carbon fibre strip and tube from a hobby store - that's what I use.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    I've got a stiffness problem
    With my howa mini stock . It tends to randomly move to one side and touch the barrel causing zero to move. Anyone successfully stiffened one of these up
    Well your heading got my attention. My Ruger.would touch sometimes just on one side. I just reamed it out a little with a small grinding stone in the electric drill, problem solved.

Used some of this on a CZ plastic stock that was absolutely horrific when used with a bipod. Would flex and touch the stock on either side depending on the cant put on the bipod.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/sho...lizer+Kit.html

Fixed it right up. Fortunately its on a varmint rifle, so the additional weight was not an issue. Also put in pillars, and bedded the action while I was at it.

The problem on the mini is not so much the stock but the bottom metal, well bottom plastic in this case. It is to soft and flexy to torque up to get any sort of consistent bedding. The best thing for them is a decent bottom metal replacement with some pillars added to the stock

northdude
    My ones got pillars from factory. It was wierd took it out today to try some new handloads was shooting pretty good then all of a sudden it would shoot 2 inches out to the left had a check of mounts etc and then noticed stock touching on one side. Left it for a bit and it went back to normal. It was really strange I couldn't figure out if it was the rifle heating up or the sun warming up the stock as it was totally random when it did it

I've got 2 stocks for mine, the shortened one always sat close on one side and I opened up that side mabey a mm with a sanding drum and a die grinder.
    The other one is more central but very close considering how flexible it is....have considered opening that one up too but its not a problem untill its a problem.
    I have stiffened a 595 tika forend with Nathan Forsters compound.....while it did work to an extent I think in the future I would just go for more barrel channel clearance and a bit of carbon fiber in the channel.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

northdude
    Has anyone tried using new tech car big it's got carbon fibers in it

northdude
    Bog