Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Stock "bleeding" oil

Stock "bleeding" oil

I have a nice old sako I purchased a 3-4 months ago. The first trip to the range, prior to lock-down, was a hot sunny day. On the bench the stock was getting warm in the sun, and lots of oil formed on the surface of the wood around the wrist area. I wiped it down and it no issues when I got home.

Thinking on this, the last couple of days I've had it in front of the fire or sitting on the window sill in the sun (its getting warm but not hot). As it warms up it bleeds oil in the same area. Smells like boiled linseed to me. I'm simply wiping away the oil with an old towel.

I assume this is from someone over oiling the stock. Am i doing the right thing here? How do I get it to seal?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Keep wiping, if you seal it with varnish it will either push the varnish off or turn it into sticky goo.
    To speed up drawing the surplus oil out go outside and wipe the stock over with a rag soaked in petrol or lacquer thinners. Repeat this every few days.
    In my opinion linseed oil is a crap finish for a stock, it never really dries isn't waterproof, and waterspots readily, boiled oil is better just enough to coat the timber but not leave a gloss. True oil etc are boiled tung oil varnishes similar to old style marine varnish and pretty good. However it's no good putting thus over linseed oil it will just push it off.
    Moa Hunter and KW1 like this.

I think that you are correct with with the thougts on linseed

i had a rifle that had been finished with linseed and suffered the same condition, on a warm day it got tacky and leached everywhere.
    the end result was to keep heating it up then wiping down with acetone and a rag. this was done many times.
    i finished it off with tru-oil then a beeswax finish.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Someone has definitely been rubbing lots BLO into this stock. Only coming out of the action wrist area. I think I'll play the long game and keep warming and removing.

Linseed oil goes hard by oxidising. Overdoing the oiling means that the oil deep in the stock doesn't get any oxygen, and stays liquid. It seems when. It gets warm because it expands.

Just keep wiping it. As stated above, wipe it off but use acetone rather than petrol. It will cease weeping eventually, unless it is a Catholic relic miracle stock, in which case, I'm out of ideas!
    6x47 and Moa Hunter like this.

Heat guns are a bit harsh, and it's too easy to overdo. Use the missus' hair dryer.

Thanks Bol Tackshin, yes I'll stick to leaving it on the widow sill rather than a heat gun. I'll put a little acetone on the rag.

unfortunately you can not buy perclone (dry cleaning fluid) at the chemist anymore, its an excellent degreaser. i just tried to buy 50ml of it and its banned from the public sale. i use it on turntable/ tapedeck belts/rollers as it removes oxidised and shiny rubber leaving a nice grippy finish. I cant find anything else that works as well .
    I was talking to a mate with a degree in chemistry and he says its not used in the production of anything illegal as far as he knows .
    Russian 22. likes this.

Chlorinated hydrocarbon directly linked to bone marrow cancer that's why it's gone. Used to be used a a fire extinguisher especially for electrical onesystem.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Chlorinated hydrocarbon directly linked to bone marrow cancer that's why it's gone. Used to be used a a fire extinguisher especially for electrical onesystem.
    yep, BCF. bloody magic fire extinguishers though.
    dunno what i'm going to use to clean belts and rollers now though

Banned
    I wonder if there is a centre hole bored in the stock and some hero has poured oil in there as well and left it standing barrel down, worth checking under the butt plate.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I wonder if there is a centre hole bored in the stock and some hero has poured oil in there as well and left it standing barrel down, worth checking under the butt plate.
    easy enough to check, I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Remember as a kid the old Pyrene fire extinguishers in vehicles and various other places. You occasionally see the hand pump one (less contents) in antique shops. Nice polished brass cylinders.
    Carbon tetrachloride (CTC) was greatly used in the dry cleaning industry. Gave off the most evil toxins when used on fires.

Big issue with BCF (Halon etc) was/is it's effect on the ozone layer. Still one of the most effective extinguisher compounds around.
    The company I worked for and Air NZ had dispensation to continue using Halon after it was banned in NZ although that I imagine has long since lapsed now.

Chlorinated solvents are denser than water and sink to the lowest point they can reach in groundwater where they sit for a long time, taking decades to break down. They slowly give off toxic fumes that can penetrate buildings (basements and sub levels especially) and build up to hazardous levels. Carbon tetrachloride breaks down to trichloroethane, then dichlor, then vinyl chloride which causes some rather serious illnesses. It costs a fortune to remediate sites where it has been spilled, like mechanical and engineers workshops and of course dry cleaner sites where this was used.
    Moa Hunter likes this.