Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Suppressor advice please

The browning probably sees 10-20 rounds a month tops so that makes perfect sense Nibblet. Most of those are after a few hours blowing ass up creeks and hills too so weight is a huge factor. All good input - thanks fellas. DPT looking the best but will go into the shop tomorrow and lay eyes on a couple and ask his advice. In terms of fitting does anyone in Christchurch know a good smith? Gunworks being the obvious choice I'll probably default to them or shooters supplies default.

Ejected
    Think its about $100 all up if you send it to them? $20 shipping each way and $60 for the threading?

I'm close to them so can cut freight. Sounds good. Will update progress tomorrow. Thanks again for input any more advice welcome.

Sent from my Browning

I've found that a suppressor has a very positive affect on accuracy. I suspect the reduction in recoil reduces movement and flex in the stock and in the barrel. We have four Gunworks suppressors here and will likely add another one or two. They are not as light as some but since I decided to reload so that I can afford to shoot more then I wanted something that could handle more shooting and went for the stainless brake inside over the lighter aluminium. Another good thing with Gunworks is that they will add a swivel stud to the bottom of the suppressor to help with balance when slung. I know a lot will say you shouldn't hunt with a sling but there are times when carrying is good.
    jord likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Right - going to silence that .223 I sold you? Missing that rifle now. With my ammo pouch on the butt stock my rifle is ever so slightly ass heavy so I believe a light suppressor will actually bring that balance back closer to true center when I'm out with it bombed up. Handy to be informed Gunworks do that though. Wouldn't a swivel attached to the suppressor make for more chance of knocking it about and potentially damaging accuracy? Good to know though.

It is pretty rigid and sits lower than when attached to the stock. I'd say that when slung from the suppressor the there is less above the shoulder than unsuppressed, and the butt sits lower. You are welcome to try one of my set ups out.

Yes I'll suppress that Baikal once I've fixed up the trigger. I've measured the barrel and from muzzel to 'bolt face' is 23.5" so that will get shortened too.
    jord likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Good drills. The trigger has a lot of character doesn't it. Ok will see how I get on tomorrow.

Sent from my Browning

Quote Originally Posted by jord View Post
    Good drills. The trigger has a lot of character doesn't it. Ok will see how I get on tomorrow.

Sent from my Browning
    Feels fine dry firing but no so good at the range. Once sorted will be perfect, I really quite like the set up.

Here's a pic of my Parker Hale M87 rifle , in 308 with a muzzle forward MAE can , its not a super lite weight can , BUT on say a varmint type rifle , I think its very good , to me its the best can for the money , $230 , and is 100% stainless steel , so I think its very good bang for the buck , i am so impressed that I will be getting more of them , and putting them on a Tikka M65A , a M40A1 build & a Steyr SSP PII , and my PH M85 .

Toby and jord like this.

Tipping the scales back to MAE. I think I'm honing in on a DPT though.

Sent from my Browning
    Splash and LifeLust like this.

I've got a DPT single unit on my 308 and rate it. It slightly changes the POI but a quick trip to the range sorted that

Good product, light.
    jord likes this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    DPT on my Mossberg. Brilliant piece of kit, and Darren (DPT) is great to deal with.
    Highly recommended.
    Blaser, LifeLust and jord like this.