Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Which suppressor for Sako Carbonlight 7 Rem Mag?

I like the TMM-4. Have one as an overbarrel and I can use it long or short for hunting. BUT the DPT are good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    well it seems like DPT is the go. It's stupid because it seems like sacrilege to put a $450 suppressor on a high dollar rifle. Lol if they double their price I'd not have batted an eyelid, seems almost too good to be true for the price. Anyway I'll give one a go & see how I like it.
    You can buy a Shultz and Larsen suppressor for more money, very similar design.

Also if money is no object ODL will custom print you a suppressor. Can pattern whatever you like. I don't imagine cheap but would truely be the best lightweight option

OK so the gen 6 adds 80mm extra length. For a bush hunting rifle that beats the DPT 105mm extra length by an 1".
    Suppressor length in front of the barrel is most effective.
    Hence given that the DPT has 33% more out the front than the Hardy, Hardy has to be a little longer out back to make up some sound recovery.
    Hence the Hardy is 45mm longer (back over the barrel) and 50 gr heavier than the DPT.

So question is how much do you value that extra inch in length. The hardy gen 6 lets you have an extra 1" of barrel length over the DPT for that same overall length. Is that worth $100 and 50 grams. Your call.
    I have 2 Hardy and will probably try a DPT for my next one as I'm chasing weight.

Also chase out that that suppressor review from last year. Had weights and sizes.
    DPT 4 baffle aprox 22 db reduction.
    Hardy Gen 6 aprox 25 db reduction
    DPT 9 baffle aprox 30 db reduction
    Hardy Gen5 Stealth >32 db reduction

In the end this is an argument that's no different to Ford vs Holden.
    I've had 2 Hardy's from HRE and had good experiences.
    Others have different experiences.
    Zq

Bit of info on the A-Tec Carbon 03, best unit for Magnums, close to $900 but hell not a bad job under 400g

Name:  A-Tec Carbon.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  109.5 KB

LJP
    The Carbon 03 looks awesome & certainly light but it extends 155mm past the muzzle. HRE is like 80mm.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    OK so the gen 6 adds 80mm extra length. For a bush hunting rifle that beats the DPT 105mm extra length by an 1".
    Suppressor length in front of the barrel is most effective.
    Hence given that the DPT has 33% more out the front than the Hardy, Hardy has to be a little longer out back to make up some sound recovery.
    Hence the Hardy is 45mm longer (back over the barrel) and 50 gr heavier than the DPT.

So question is how much do you value that extra inch in length. The hardy gen 6 lets you have an extra 1" of barrel length over the DPT for that same overall length. Is that worth $100 and 50 grams. Your call.
    I have 2 Hardy and will probably try a DPT for my next one as I'm chasing weight.

Also chase out that that suppressor review from last year. Had weights and sizes.
    DPT 4 baffle aprox 22 db reduction.
    Hardy Gen 6 aprox 25 db reduction
    DPT 9 baffle aprox 30 db reduction
    Hardy Gen5 Stealth >32 db reduction

In the end this is an argument that's no different to Ford vs Holden.
    I've had 2 Hardy's from HRE and had good experiences.
    Others have different experiences.
    Zq
    Those tests were done by hardy so I don't know how objective they were. Also a suppressor in any super sonic cal will never be quiet so while sound suppression is good as long as I can take a shot without any ringing of my ears I am happy.

The hardy have also had a lot of issues. I personally had one blow up on my 7mmRM. Seems being a sealed design they hold a lot of the gases inside and if mixed with wet hunting conditions leads to corrosion. (I will note all issues of seen have been the 80mm forward models maybe more force or less material to corrode but my suppressor get bown out with air each time or disassembled but even that didn't help the Hardy.

EDIT: MINE was not a gen 6 so they could have solved this.
    Last edited by Stocky; 02-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.

Hi,

The only model from our thread mounting suppressors that is officially magnum rated is the SL7i .300 / .338 model.

The older SL7 .30 calibre variant was magnum approved and so were also the pre-2013 jet-Z COMPACT models.

As we were in the product update process towards the i-models in in the S series during 2016, we tested the lightened SL7i .30 calibre model quite heavily with a shorter 20” barrel .300 Win Mag.

In longer firing strings, there was very minimal/neglible bending on the first baffles, which may not have been noticed by the customer necessarily.

However as we cannot always control how and on what weapon & barrel length the suppressors are used, we usually opt for the safe side.

So, that it why there is now a combined magnum model and the SL7i .30 is only for non-magnum calibres.

The material on the magnum model is also even stronger ( we shot a 50 round string of .338 Lapua through it with a short barrel )

S Series SL7i sound suppressor | Ase Utra

So it is not the lightest for magnum calibres but extremely robust with a fully welded stainless steel design and available with Cerakote finish also.

Also still a pretty compact suppressor.

Do note that there is a considerable difference between .308 / .30-06 and for example a .300 Win Mag in muzzle pressures

From a 500 mm barrel it is c. 500 bar for a .308 Win and c. 900 bar for .300 WM.

So when purchasing, I would advise to inquire from the manufacturer, on how their products have been tested on magnum calibres.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    Hi,

The only model from our thread mounting suppressors that is officially magnum rated is the SL7i .300 / .338 model.

The older SL7 .30 calibre variant was magnum approved and so were also the pre-2013 jet-Z COMPACT models.

As we were in the product update process towards the i-models in in the S series during 2016, we tested the lightened SL7i .30 calibre model quite heavily with a shorter 20” barrel .300 Win Mag.

In longer firing strings, there was very minimal/neglible bending on the first baffles, which may not have been noticed by the customer necessarily.

However as we cannot always control how and on what weapon & barrel length the suppressors are used, we usually opt for the safe side.

So, that it why there is now a combined magnum model and the SL7i .30 is only for non-magnum calibres.

The material on the magnum model is also even stronger ( we shot a 50 round string of .338 Lapua through it with a short barrel )

S Series SL7i sound suppressor | Ase Utra

So it is not the lightest for magnum calibres but extremely robust with a fully welded stainless steel design and available with Cerakote finish also.

Also still a pretty compact suppressor.

Do note that there is a considerable difference between .308 / .30-06 and for example a .300 Win Mag in muzzle pressures

From a 500 mm barrel it is c. 500 bar for a .308 Win and c. 900 bar for .300 WM.

So when purchasing, I would advise to inquire from the manufacturer, on how their products have been tested on magnum calibres.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors
    You make some very good points there, I would hate to think about the amount of pressure a suppressor has to cope with on a normal short Bush Pig style rifle let alone the trend towards magnum Super Pigs, even with few rounds fired they won't be happy, time will tell & no doubt the wear/abuse will show up in a year or three

Quote Originally Posted by Unihunter View Post
    Those tests were done by hardy so I don't know how objective they were. Also a suppressor in any super sonic cal will never be quiet so while sound suppression is good as long as I can take a shot without any ringing of my ears I am happy.

The hardy have also had a lot of issues. I personally had one blow up on my 7mmRM. Seems being a sealed design they hold a lot of the gases inside and if mixed with wet hunting conditions leads to corrosion. (I will note all issues of seen have been the 80mm forward models maybe more force or less material to corrode but my suppressor get bown out with air each time or disassembled but even that didn't help the Hardy.

EDIT: MINE was not a gen 6 so they could have solved this.
    The tests were done in Hardys acoustic lab by rod and rifle not by hardy.
    I can vouch that the gen 5 stealth is way quieter than most that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    ZQLewis likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!