Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Suppressor threading

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    You must be joking
    Did I get lucky with my suppressor from him?

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Did I get lucky with my suppressor from him?
    Yes
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Kinda glad SSRNZ did my centrefire rifle work then.

Is there anything I should be looking out for on my .22 suppressor. i.e. have others had failures etc?

Again I say... I'd ask Dan Hardy to build you a .22 muzzle foward suppressor with a larger diameter thread to suit your fat Kidd Barrell.

:-)
    shift14 likes this.

Dean Maisey , Tarunga
    shift14 likes this.

DPT Hamilton :-)
    Happy likes this.

Fascinating, I am in exactly the same situation. My just put together a 10/22 wit ha KIDD barrel (been collecting parts for a while) and now need to thread it. I wounder if someone will do the counter boring job as this seems the best option, I have a number of .22 suppressors already in 1/2 20tpi.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Here is a bit of information regarding kidds barrels:
    The original blanks are from Lothar Walther in Germany.
    The guys at kidds receive the barrel blanks, check them, take a good amount of time to "taper lap" the barrels so that the bore is slightly chocked toward the muzzle. This is a really an important step to get the best accuracy out of a 22 long rifle. The best 22 hunter benchrest rifles in the USA all have that chocking taper toward the last few inches of the muzzle. Even Anschutz barrels are manufactured like that.
    Now when you start removing some material from the end of a barrel to make a thread, the internal bore dimensions at the muzzle can open slightly , and more so for button rifled barrels like the lothar Walther ones.
    When you buy a factory threaded barrel from kidd, it has a recess inside the thread so that the muzzle crown is inside the fat part of the barrel. The guys at kidds know perfectly well that they could not guaranty the accuracy of their factory threaded barrels if they were crowning the muzzle at the end of the thread like it is common practice.
    Please take look at my kidd barrel muzzle which was factory threaded (1/2"-28):
    Attachment 44363Attachment 44364

There thread is cut exactly to the dimensions, and my suppressor (1/2"-28)has a nice tight fit on it. That is one solution that works.

The problem with the standard thread for 22's (1/2"-20 in Europe and nz, and 1/2"-28 in the USA) is that it takes away to much meat at the end of the barrels specially when done on a varmint type barrel.

Now, there would be another solution. That would be to have suppressor made with a much wider thread or even a custom thread to match the diameter of the barrel you intended to get threaded.
    On my kidd barrel the fat part is 23.4 mm diameter. A custom thread of 21 mmX1mm pitch or 0.875"X20 or 28 TPI would leave enough shoulder for the suppressor back end to stop against and would allow to remove very little meet from the muzzle end which in turn would keep internal bore dimensions correct. Of course this a more expensive way of fitting a suppressor as all the work and machining time is charged up.

I know millions of 22's worldwide have had there barrel cut and threaded for 1/2" type threads and are producing an accuracy from golf balls diameter or better at 50 m which satisfy most of their owners when they want to shoot rabbits size game.
    But if you want the ultimate in accuracy with your 22 ,you now know what needs to get done.
    How do you manufacture a rifle barrel with a choke?

Caretaker

Suppressor threading

Just Leave 2/10ths of a thou taper finishing at the muzzle via the final lapping process
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

isnt that the bit you leave off when you are fitting the barrel?where the lap changes direction