Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: T-Eagle IMAX HD 2-16x44 Review

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    From a marketing point of view I disagree re having a recoil limit - It simply does not instill confidence in the product, which is exactly what new buyers need if they are to adopt this new scope/brand.

In order for it to be successful here, imo, it needs to be promoted with confidence in its abilities and an excellent warranty for the very slight chance that something does go wrong. Nothing instills confidence like a strong product with an excellent warranty that you will never need.
    Well....not that what you say is wrong, but there are more than one way to skin a cat. In the end of the day, customers pays for the warranty. Does everyone need unlimited warranty? Scope technology has been accelerating for the last 20 years. Many once exotic features have trickled down and are now available on mainstream products. This trend will only continue. I got this lovely VX3 which is about 8~10 years old now. Back then it was a high end sub-100 metre target shooting scope costing $1400. Nowadays it really isnt that high end anymore. By today's standard, it has narrow adjustment range, no side focus, not very bright, no pull and push turret, etc. In 10 years time it will be decidedly average, with scopes costing a friction being as good or better. Am I really going to be bothered if my VX3 broken down and I couldnt get it repaired for free? Honestly, probably not. In the end of the day unlimited warranty is paid buy the customers, while we all like the heart warming stories of some super old/bashed up scope getting a free make over. I personally would rather have paid less to began with and not have such make over.

Brands like T-eagle is aiming for that sort of market. People who want features only found in super high end scopes of big brands that are way out of their reach, and do not mind if the product lacked after sale support. Having said that I do agree with you that good warranty is more about giving confidence than actually having to use it. Where the prices and specs are the same, the product with better warranty comes across as representing better quality. The difficulty with T-eagle, as is the case with all other Aliexpress product, is the margin is so low and shipping cost is so high, it is not economical to provide warranty support rather than the manufacture does not offer warranty support. If the product is purchased in China it will be subject to usual warranties.

I understand you don't want to end the test quickly by destroying the scope, so by all means work your way up.
    Currently your message is "I have this scope, which im not very confident in and has no warranty or backup support available in NZ and is also questionable if id get any help form the overseas manufacturer, so im reluctant to test it with more than a .300wm, but you can buy it here for $400"

Im not suggesting bashing it on a rock for a test, just that it should be able to handle more abuse than the rifle dishes out in recoil, to cover such slips etc, and since you probably don't want to throw it on the concrete the next best way is with heavier recoil. eg test it with a .50bmg then tell people its rated for .338 but tested to withstand .50bmg
    The ability to hold zero assumes that the mounts are not a factor.
    Firstly let me just to be clear that my impression is that this scope can probably handle 338. Maybe .50 BMG too. The reason for this impression is that this scope is built by the same factories that make scopes for big named brands so they certainly know what they are doing. The following discussion is mostly academic.

How far can a scope handle recoil comes down to the level of engineering, tolerance, and material. Which in the end of the day, all paid by the customer. The term over-engineering refers to making something stronger better and more expensive than that is required. The questions is, how much "over-engineering" are customers willing to pay. To put things in some perspective, 308 has about 3550 J of energy, 300 Win Mag 5400 J, 50 BMG 19,000 J. 50 BMG is 5.5 times more powerful than 308. So if you are going to shoot no bigger than 308, do you need 550% redundancy? Would you pay double the price that extra 550% redundancy?

At face value 2-16 would work quite well for possum shooting, but then it comes back to the whole idea of who wants a big heavy 30mm tube scope on a rimfire? Generally if you have a scope that large on a rimfire its for long range training (dialing) practice and probably not what most people would carry around for half the night possum shooting. It would probably be a decent fit on a .17HMR, ill agree there.
    Yeah, the weight does put me off a little. Most top brand scopes with up to 16x zoom are around 450 to 500 grams. This thing is about 300 grams heavier. On the other hand I have rifles that are a couple kilograms heavier than the lighter ones and I shoot/hunt with them.

In terms of why 30mm tube, I did some further testing last night. Elevation has 7 full revolutions plus another 6 MOA of adjustment room. Each revolution is 15 MOA, that means this scope has a maximum range of 111 MOA. I tested both top end and bottom end by measuring how much the POA travels with 1 full revolution (15 MOA) from each end. Adjustments appears to be accurate even at the extreme ends. However, it appeared that when the adjustment is at the extreme low end, windage adjustment is limited. I am guessing it is because there is too much tension to prevent windage to move freely. Before I was able to test it more it started to rain so I had to stop.

In regards to reduced windage at near end points of elevation - its because the tube is a circle. And if you move the adjustment (scope internals) to the top (or bottom) of the circle then there is less side to side room, as opposed to if the elevation was centered where you would have maximum windage adjustment available. You would also have less elevation if windage was way off to one side due to the same reason.

Steiner tests their scopes to 1000cycles at 1000g's. Yes 1 thousand G's. Confidence in your rig holding a zero and being on target when you need it is a very important factor, imo.

When it comes down to it you can go put "2-16 power scope" into ebay and find lots of options from sellers in China in the $250 - $500 range. Lots of air soft stuff. Im sure most would have pretty good clarity, feel solid enough and track ok on a bench. Personally I would not consider the ebay scope, and instead go with something with a rock solid reputation for holding zero but has less magnification range.

Holding an aluminium tube in your hand, clamping it to a bench in some rings, spinning the adjustments, and deciding its a clear scope with semi-mushy click feel etc can not give any real world insight into how it will handle actually being used as a scope. You can get telescopes with lots of magnification pretty cheap, and untill proven this can actually handle being a scope, on a gun, getting used - then its a telescope with a faux reticle.

If it has the magnification, elevation range and clarity you say it does. All you need to do is prove it reliable as actually being a scope and not a telescope with a reticle.
    As long as its unproven, and it needs to be purchased from China (which is an issue because unproven and no one/very difficult to return it/get help) then it will struggle here.

@ChrisW. Can you buy a Steiner scope for $400NZ? If not you are not comparing apples with apples. As I implied before, you don't need a scope that can withstand 1000Gs to walk around an orchard on a sunny afternoon popping bunnies. Just like you don't need a top of the line European car to go down to the supermarket. It would be nice, but not exactly necessary.
    Savage1, gadgetman and ChrisW like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Correct, you need to compare it to other scopes in its price range.
    In its price range this scope appears to have the benefit of a greater magnification range, and currently that's its only (proven) benefit - with currently several negatives and unknowns.

Who in the market for a mid $400 price range optic is going to buy an ebay jobby from China, over an established brand with less magnification range?
    Keep in mind this was $440 at the time of acquisition, probably more now with the poor exchange rate- so you are at least 10% off with your $400 price which now makes it approaching scopes in the $500 price range.

My real point here is that sometimes all a cheap scope is good for is a telescope. Having adjustments that move and glass you can see through does not make a good, or even usable scope.
    I had a Tasco "varmint" scope that would not hold zero on a .204 ruger, chased it all over the show before I finally swapped it to a leupold and drilled one hole groups...the glass can be excellent, zoom work fine, turrets feel ok and it can be a hunk of junk and not actually usable as a scope. Parallax can also be so bad that its rendered useless.

All im saying is test the thing using it as a scope and actually shooting with it before you go singing its praises or dropping $440+ on it.

But no you cant buy a Steiner for $440. But hey this scope may also stand up to 1000Gs and then it would be an excellent option at its price point, and worth taking a risk having no warranty or backup support vs established options but we wont know unless its tested on something more than a 7.62x39.

It needs to be tested, on a gun, before it can be said to be a good value option.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 30-08-2018 at 03:36 PM.

I would not gamble my $400 on it. I would not put in my time and effort only to be expected to take the hit myself if the scope is not up to a reasonable standard. I’m not a gambling man, I take the safe/ proven option.
    I could put ultimitsu into contact with several high profile people in the industry though , but no such people would be willing to take a personal hit or pay a $400 deposit for the “opportunity” to test a scope.
    To be clear I’m not against this scope or cheap scopes in general. I just haven’t seen enough yet to think it’s a good deal as the main make or break factor of a scope has not yet been tested. The ability to hold zero.
    mikee likes this.

I don't know the specifics. Do you get your bond back if it breaks?
    Not that I would partake with the whole bond thing going on.

In regards to reduced windage at near end points of elevation - its because the tube is a circle. And if you move the adjustment (scope internals) to the top (or bottom) of the circle then there is less side to side room, as opposed to if the elevation was centered where you would have maximum windage adjustment available. You would also have less elevation if windage was way off to one side due to the same reason.
    Thanks for the explanation. It is good to know.

Steiner tests their scopes to 1000cycles at 1000g's. Yes 1 thousand G's. Confidence in your rig holding a zero and being on target when you need it is a very important factor, imo.
    You are not wrong at all, being able to hold zero is the most basic and fundamental requirement of any scope. We are not in disagreement generally where we differ is how far does one have to prove itself at a given price point. Steiner may well be "over-proving" itself. I mean, I know Steiner makes optics, I use a pair Steiner binocular. But I have never seen anyone using or even talking about using steiner scopes.

If you look at their prices. The most basic model GS3 3-15 is about 1000 USD. which translates to $1600 + GST if we get it here. It does not have side focus, IR, or even free flip caps. I think they will have a hard time beating Leupold VX5HD.

When it comes down to it you can go put "2-16 power scope" into ebay and find lots of options from sellers in China in the $250 - $500 range. Lots of air soft stuff. Im sure most would have pretty good clarity, feel solid enough and track ok on a bench. Personally I would not consider the ebay scope, and instead go with something with a rock solid reputation for holding zero but has less magnification range.
    Actually, there are a lot of sellers but really only 2 options. Vision King and Leapers UTG.

The Vision King is in a similar sort of boat as the T-eagle: Chinese brand, no real brand presence internationally. Amazon sells them and the reviews seem OK.

The Leapers UTG is a somewhat international brand but is decidedly low end. Can be bought from reputable retailer like Pyrimad Air. Reviews seem OK as well.

I would not be surprised if these two scopes share the same design as the T-eagle. If they both sent me a scope to test with I would have done it with the same enthusiasm.

Looking at these two scopes and the spec sheet, it would seem, to me at least, that the T-eagle look prettier and top them by having 1 ED glass.

Holding an aluminium tube in your hand, clamping it to a bench in some rings, spinning the adjustments, and deciding its a clear scope with semi-mushy click feel etc can not give any real world insight into how it will handle actually being used as a scope. You can get telescopes with lots of magnification pretty cheap, and untill proven this can actually handle being a scope, on a gun, getting used - then its a telescope with a faux reticle.

If it has the magnification, elevation range and clarity you say it does. All you need to do is prove it reliable as actually being a scope and not a telescope with a reticle.
    As long as its unproven, and it needs to be purchased from China (which is an issue because unproven and no one/very difficult to return it/get help) then it will struggle here.
    I have shot around 500~700 rounds with this scope on my rifles (albeit all 22LR), plus going back and forth between my house and range. . So we cannot quite say it has not been shot with at all
    ChrisW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Are you aware of his offer of a free trial?
    You pay four hundred as a bond and get it back when you return the scope. Costs you nothing.
    Chris works for Beretta NZ. I guess he has access to a lot of nice scopes so I doubt he would be interested in a 400 dollar Aliexpress scope.

But in case I am wrong, here are the specifics.
    ChrisW likes this.

Great discussion on the pros and cons.
    I have had my share of Chinese scopes with the last one a sun optics coming of my 22 the other day as I didn't trust it keeping zero.
    It would now be fair to say that I wouldn't buy another Chinese scope as I am really in chrisw's court of not wanting to gamble my hard earned dosh on questionable optics.
    I have been in the boat of getting very old scopes sent away for repair and been sent back a brand new latest model at very minimal cost more than once so a plus 1 for brand name optics.
    I also like the big brands for the fact that good reviews on their cheaper models are easier to come buy so your not guessing.
    I have been watching this thread with interest and good on ya for stumping up the cash and providing a comprehensive review of this optic as it does provide another option for those that don't mind a punt.
    My 2 cents at 4 10am !
    After reading the review again my biggest bug bear would definitely be the fact that it doesn't have the revolution Mark's as I have had Chinese scopes before with out them and it is definitely a pain in the arse.
    If you re not OCD about remembering to reset your elevation after shooting which I have done it can provide some entertainment at a later date when you cant hit the side of a barn.
    To be fair it seems to be a very good Chinese scope and would fill a certain niche market that is there.
    Thanks again ultimitsu for your effort.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andyanimal31; 31-08-2018 at 05:32 AM.
    ChrisW likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    If you re not OCD about remembering to reset your elevation after shooting which I have done it can provide some entertainment at a later date when you cant hit the side of a barn.
    On being OCD... If you simply did not return elevation you would not hit the side of barn, you would hit the top.

Seriously, I actually had a notepad with me when I was doing the testing, I would make an actual note on the notepad after every 10 clicks just to be safe. It is easy to lose mental track if I did not do this when making 86 clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    On being OCD... If you simply did not return elevation you would not hit the side of barn, you would hit the top.

Seriously, I actually had a notepad with me when I was doing the testing, I would make an actual note on the notepad after every 10 clicks just to be safe. It is easy to lose mental track if I did not do this when making 86 clicks.
    Only a couple of weeks ago I ended up a full rev out as had been verifying at 840 and had let the farmer have a shot and forgot to put it back when I was shooting at a deer!
    The old can you see where my bullet is going?
    Yep 5 foot high they say!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Just want share my experience with this scope and the brand generally, 6 years in. Initially, after some research, I got in contact with the owner of the brand, Mr Yang, a rather nice and generous man. After explaining my view on his product and the lack of online reviews, he sent me two scopes. One to pass around and review with. and the other one which was still a prototype, to evaluate with.

Over the past 6 years, it lived on several 22LRs, seen quite a bit target shooting and small game hunting. For the last 6 months, it has been mounted on a powerful springer airgun, the TX200 Mark 3. I thought I should my experience thus far:

1. The scope does not dial accurately within small amount of dials. This is very common with mid and low end scopes. If you were to dial 10 MOAs, it will be close enough, but if you were to dial 3 clicks (0.75 MOA). it will be a little off. I think it is to do with the gears and springs in the erector not being very smooth and crisp, so there is small amount of "stickiness" to it for lack of better words for it. In air gun shooting, you need to compensate for the pellet's tragectory all the time. Dialing is not really an option with this scope.

2. So how do I use it for airgun shooting then? By using it reticle markings, which has worked quite reliably. Of course these days all Chinese scopes are equipped with tactical reticles so there is nothing special about this. But if it works it works. I shoot field target, silhouette, and paper target at various distances. I usually come 1st to 3rd at our local club in springer class. During the club shoots, maximum range is 45 meters which the 10 grain pellet will drop 1.2mil. I can reliably make the shot using the reticle markings. I have also shot 5cm targets at 85 meters, which requires 6 mils of drop. The furthest I have stretched this scope on a 22LR was 175 m, 6.4mil drop, hitting a steel gong.

3. The scope holds zero surprisingly well. Not only was it has been flawless on 22LR, it held up excellently on the airgun as well. Each club session I would shoot about 70~100 shots. on top of that I also shoot at home from time to time. Since it has been mounted on the airgun a couple thousand shots have been fired. Zero just stays where it is. This scope is not advertised as airgun rated by the way, and this is a powerful airgun too. Yesterday the club event was field target, I had a rather average day and had a score of 40 out of 50.

4. While I dont abuse my gear, I do put them to a lot of use. Parallex adjustment gets used every time I aim at a different target. Magnifications ring gets moved around for different disciplines. The metal flip covers go up and down for almost every shot. The front one still works perfectly but back flip cover has lost its friction in the hinge is gone, it flips down too easily so I took it off.

For the last 6 years, I have used and tried: VX5HD 3-15, LHT 3-15x50, Burris 3-15, Riton x5 3-18. In terms of image quality at maximum magnification, the T-eagle is behind the VX5 and the LHT, about the same as the Burris, and is better than the Riton. T-eagle as a brand does not seem have made much progress and has not released anything better.
    Joe_90 and makka like this.

To satisfy my thirst for cheap scopes, I had also purchased 4 more scopes from T-eagle.

1. 1.2-6x20. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...yAdapt=glo2isr A very handsome AR scope. Image quality at 1.2 - 4 is good enough, but beyond that eye box gets too thin and edge clarity is gone. it is quite heavy, about twice the weight as Leupold 1.5-4x20. It held zero well over several hundred shots on the TX200. I would say if you have an AR scope itch that you want to scratch with the least amount of money, this scope is worth it.

2. 6-24. https://t-eagle.net/product/t-eagle-...ng-riflescope/ I paid about 140 NZD. similar image quality to the 1.2-6. lack contrast all around but passable under 12x, beyond 12x it is fuzzy and eye box is razor thin. I struggle to think of a reason to buy this scope.

3. 4-16 FFP. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001834665185.html While there is nothing wrong with it, there is nothing particularly great about it. Compared to the 2-16 (the subject of this thread), the 4-16 can only focus down to 25m, not 10m; It does not have ed glass so image quality is slightly worse; I have not tested its dials; FFP at 4-16 does not have much use. It is also quite heavy at 680g for a 16x scope. It remains under-used.

4. 2-20 SFP. Another semi-flagship product. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...yAdapt=glo2isr It is priced similarly to the 2-16 (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006569601284.html). It is made from a different factory and used a different design. Imagine quality at 2x-14x works is quite good, but is poor compared to the 2-16. Beyond 14x it gets fuzzy and eye box is too thin. After a few thousand rounds on the airgun the reticle rotated about 5 degrees and have stayed that wayever sicne. It still works, but need to be mounted crooked. T-eagle has offered me to repair it, but I cannot be bothered sending it in.