Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: T1x 22 vs 17hmr

@Ultimitsu yes but that way he has both worlds.
    Subsonics for quiet and the extra power of the war when using supersonic
    Doesnt need a 22lr. Ammo a little bit dearer though

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @Ultimitsu yes but that way he has both worlds.
    Subsonics for quiet and the extra power of the war when using supersonic
    Doesnt need a 22lr. Ammo a little bit dearer though
    You could achieve the same result with a 223, and then cover even more options, Ie down load from 22 sub, 22 wmr 22 hornet and full power 223.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    22 WMR in subsonic is just 22LR isnt?
    Exactly, one gun, two very different applications.

17hmr with a decent suppressor (MAE in my case) is pretty quite, just a bit of a crack. Wouldn't use 17 on anything bigger than hares as the projectiles explode without penetrating.
    Uplandstalker likes this.

I have 3 different rimfire (22LR Tikka, 17HMR Tikka and a 17Mach2 Ruger M77). They all have different purposes as I'll a pest contractor. If I could only have one for work, it would be the 17mach2 as the ballistics a much the same as the HMR, but the ammo price is closer to 22LR. Run a decent suppressor, no a $60 pile of shit. Don't worry about subsonic and noise as even the 17HMR is only loud if you miss, shooting around trees or fences. Hares and headshots on Wallabies are able the size limitation for my work with rimfire, as mentioned, the lack of penetration is a problem once to get any bigger.

If you were only plinking and the old rabbit and other small game, a 22LR is the simplest of all and ammo is generally available.
    GWH likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Exactly, one gun, two very different applications.
    If you mean you want to carry one gun and both types of ammo on one trip, then I can understand. but wouldnt your gun be zeroed for only one ammo? not only there is a significant drop, the barrel whip wouldalso be different resulting in some level of lateral shift of POI as well. Unless you run tests for different set up to find a normal ammo and subsonic ammo that lands on the same vertical line.

When I go out on a farm for a day hunt, I also like the option of being able to shoot small game under 70 meters with a 22LR and longer shots/bigger game with a 223. My solution is just carry both guns.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    If you mean you want to carry one gun and both types of ammo on one trip, then I can understand. but wouldnt your gun be zeroed for only one ammo? not only there is a significant drop, the barrel whip wouldalso be different resulting in some level of lateral shift of POI as well. Unless you run tests for different set up to find a normal ammo and subsonic ammo that lands on the same vertical line.
    I'm sure it could be worked out as is the case when people switch between supers and subs in other calibres. A fun little project for my future.