Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: T3 Half Cock Methods

T3 Half Cock Methods

Gidday

How many ways are there to put a half cock on a Tikka T3, I know the "alter the cocking cam way" and the 'drill a hole in the bolt body for the safety to engage into" but are there others ??

Thanks

the only way to put a Tikka on half cock is to hold the trigger in and lower the bolt half way.
    which is just stupid.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

drilling a hole for the safety is really the best way

Why would you want to use a half cock? Safety works doesn't it?

Have a mate that has had the half cock engagement increased on his T3, as well as drilling the hold to engage the safety while in half cock. Still stupid IMHO. Why not just use the safety in the way it was designed for instead of creating another step that doesn't add any additional safety to the handling of the firearm. Rifle is still cocked when in the 'half cocked' position...

Not having a crack mate, just get tired of hearing people going on about using an antiquated technique that modern firearms are not designed for. The rest of the world think kiwi's are crazy hunting this way...
    veitnamcam, HUNTY and shooternz like this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Gone But Not Forgotten
    While I tend to agree with Bryan, there is some value in having a half cock with the safety engaged from the visual aspect. You can glance down and know instantly that the rifle is the half cock position and it gives a little more degree of safety for rifles that cock on opening.

I personally only ever use the safety when close to game and have never had a problem - certainly far safer than a half cock with no safety engaged on cock on opening rifles and some that don't.
    Danny likes this.

I knew there would be flack - just for the record I'm not a half-cock person either but some are, and so be it. If I videoed most people hunting I bet I could see at least one potentially unsafe action for 95% of you "in someones opinion" on every outing.

Does anyone know how Robbie Tiffen does his ??
    10-Ring likes this.

I love these threads

Opinions on peoples handling of a firearm safely vs using the firearm in way it was never designed for are two different things...but you are correct, opinions are like a*@#holes, we all got one

From what I understand, any competent gunsmith can create a more 'positive feel' to the half cock by increasing the indent at the back of the bolt body where the firing pin rests. They then can drill a hole in the bolt body in the position where the safety can be engaged (pin can lift into the hole). I believe Greg Duley did an article on this exact subject a while back in his NZ Hunter magazine.

Not sure of any other way.
    veitnamcam likes this.

'Half bolt' is the correct term rather than 'half cock' which is completely different thing. It is a simple and inexpensive alteration, and should not require a hole for the safety to engage as that defeats the whole purpose of the 'half bolt' ready position when stalking. The only alteration required is to remove some metal (about 0.5mm) from the front surface of the cocking piece where it engages the sear, and stone it to a matching finish. Note that removal of too much metal will shorten the striker fall and cause misfires. This allows the bolt handle to turn down a little more when the sear engages, preventing the bolt from falling open when stalking. I always have the bolt handle gripped with my finger and thumb with my finger outside the trigger guard. It is a simple job to ease the handle down in total silence when ready to shoot.

For what its worth I had a half cock put on my Tikka by Dan Hardy and he made a true half cock, so when the trigger is pulled the bolt will not slam closed as it did in the past the way that another gunsmith had done it.
    He also drilled a hole so I could use the safety as well, this locks the bolt when the safety is en gauged. So when either close to game the safety can be removed then when animal seen close the bolt and shoot.
    Now I know this is not what everyone does but i feel safe this way rather than just using the safety which can be bumped off.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Now I know this is not what everyone does but i feel safe this way rather than just using the safety which can be bumped off.
    This is my issue, if you somehow magically bump the safety, then you are more than likely also going to 'bump' the bolt closed or fully open at the same time as they are right next to each other. So net gain on safety = zero. (Possibly this could be the reason so many T3 bolts have been lost???)

If the rifle was meant to have a proper half cock/bolt they would have installed one in the factory.

I have never lost a deer in all my years hunting in the bush because my rifle wasn't loaded or because disengaging the safety made too much noise.

Quite hard to bump both off at the same time as you must let the safety off first then close the bolt. I use this system now cause many years ago I used to carry my rifle on half cock with my thumb over the bolt until I fell one day, bolt went down a stick hit the trigger and rifle fired lucky for me in a safe direction but it put the shits up me that's why I go for the double safe way.

Fair enough, that would scare the bajeesus out of anyone. But that just kinda reinforces my point, only load when ready to fire and when loaded use the safety. A lot harder to knock a small pad (safety) that hugs the stock vs a large handle that protrudes an inch or so.

Having the bolt locked when in half cock/bolt is a good alteration option if you do hunt this way.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    For what its worth I had a half cock put on my Tikka by Dan Hardy and he made a true half cock, so when the trigger is pulled the bolt will not slam closed as it did in the past the way that another gunsmith had done it.
    He also drilled a hole so I could use the safety as well, this locks the bolt when the safety is en gauged. So when either close to game the safety can be removed then when animal seen close the bolt and shoot.
    A genuine question.

If in the half closed bolt position the trigger is pulled (un intentionally by whatever)and then the bolt is closed to fire at an animal is the sear still engaged and have full cock to fire?

I Have no doubt Dan will have provided you a half closed bolt position that will not drop the bolt or fire from that position.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

For those who want to understand a little more - have a look at Robbie Tiffens two video's on the subject, then imagine the cocking piece pushing on the sear (a little bit) as the bolt handle starts to drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZ9...39Z2-6vpWEfUog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nYj...39Z2-6vpWEfUog
    Rebeltrousers likes this.