Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By Ground Control
  • 3 Post By Dicko

Thread: Taking rifles along to Aus

Taking rifles along to Aus

Been offered a opportunity in Aus that is hard to refuse. Any one with experience or guidance with exporting/moving hunting rifles to Aus, specifically WA?

I live in W.A, and have rifles but its a bit of a journey to get a license, you can import but I think only reloaders in Auckland will expor them, give them a ring, your rifles will be confiscated here as a matter of course, then you need a licensed firearms dealer to uplift them, he needs specific paperwork and it will cost you. I just bought new rifles here in the end.

You must show a need and requirement for each firearm you want, a property letter from a large station for example detailing what animaks they need shooting and what calibres they allow.

Cheers

Cheers mate.

As an Aussie planning to visit W.A I would need to apply for a permit to transit through the state and also declare if I plan to use them .

That's a pain because I might want to carry one in case I want to use it in South Australia.

I have a mate took his to Namibia ex Sydney and came home through Perth so I'm not sure if that was an issue 3 years ago.

WA is the worst State to own and use firearms .
    If you go there , I suggest learning how to Bow Hunt .
    small_caliber likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Been a few years but when i went for a comp we travelled with our guns.

Needed import permits for every state en route to destination, even though the tickets were without layover. Get off the plane and your gun comes with you - hence needed import permits for those states too. Pain in the arse as the airlines would not just transfer to the next flight.

We ended up joking that the weight of the paperwork would exceed the toys and by the end we were not far off!

If you do go and consider taking anything with you check and book flights accordingly as it is not just the final destination that needs to be considered.

Taking rifles along to Aus

Leave them at home. Get the oz state (WA etc) firearms license and then the permits to acquire. Go home to NZ and bring them back with you. Gunsmith in oz will need to put them into the system and you will need a b709a import permit from the feds to import.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk