Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flock

Thread: Talley rings. Any one had issues

Talley rings. Any one had issues

About to get the 7mm wsm up and running but my gunsmith has a hatred of Talley's. States that they cause endless issues and generally are shit. The rifle came with Talley's that are lapped and marked for front and back .
    Before I go to a different ring has any one have any real world experience of Talley's on a light Magnum rifle and had issues?

I run a set of Talley light weights on my 300WSM (and also on my 7mm-08 and 308). No issues with them at all, and all seem rock solid - but they were all new when installed on each rifle and scope.

Ive run them on 3kg ish 300wsm, 7 remmags, got them on my prc too
    im rougher then most and haven't had an issue i rate them
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfern View Post
    About to get the 7mm wsm up and running but my gunsmith has a hatred of Talley's. States that they cause endless issues and generally are shit. The rifle came with Talley's that are lapped and marked for front and back .
    Before I go to a different ring has any one have any real world experience of Talley's on a light Magnum rifle and had issues?
    Never had a single issue, spend $20-$30 buy an alignment bar and be forever happy, makes setting them up nice a true a breeze.
    The other thing worth doing is bedding them with a small amount of 2 part epoxy (emphasis on small) you don't need much like a match head worth on the action where the bases will sit slap your bases on and start the screws, then use the alignment bar to get the bases aligned, nip the bases down till just finger tight using the alignment bar to keep them true, then torque them to your final torque with a torque driver (if you use one).
    I also put a dot of blue loktite on the screw threads.
    Hope that makes sense.
    I would assume anyone having issues with Talleys is having alignment issues which the alignment bar is used to avoid, properly aligned I've never even needed to lap a set of Talleys. This is my experience from mounting and using man sets of Talleys, I rate them as 1of the very best easily obtained lightweight rings.
    #DANNYCENT

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. They are going on to the Kimber then.😁

Great rings. ensure you torque them to the manufacturers setting and it should be all good

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfern View Post
    What action are they going on? I had issues putting them on a Remington model 7 once upon a time. The problem was the rear bridge was machined too low, so had to shim the rear base with epoxy. I found out when fitting them with an alignment bar, rear ring was just hanging in space….

If your building on a Tikka, just use dovetail rings 100%

Never had an issue

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Bos
    Only issue I ever had was one ring cracking sideways from hole to hole. Pretty sure they were over torqued
    Other than that, have used 25 and 30mm rings and have always been reliable

Caretaker
    No problems with talley rings

I believe they were designed and patented by Melvin Forbes
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Replaced sako optilocks with talleys and lost nothing but a heap of weight

25mm & 30mm Savage tallies & no problems at all, run a picatinny rail for ease of swopping scopes, if its weight your worried about Tallies are excellent.
    dannyb likes this.