Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: To tape or not to tape.

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    Love the simple rebuttals and massive generalisations, dont expect anything less from the forum.

Some people myself included like playing and onselling so tape up to prevent scratches.

If you use the right tape - camo tape that sticks to itself rocks and is cheap and is sold at most hunting shops works a dream it dries and no rust under.

For sound the tape prevents the odd ding sound and scratching sounds also when against stone or dry bush - no brainer

On the supressor it softens the vibration sound more and also as above prevents dinging

It is worth making sure they have used a decent tape and also if using it take care ensuring its dry before storage

Otherwise fine - tacticool who gives a shit

Let the towling begin ; )
    Nice post , well said , spot on , good stuff , totally agree. ... Nice stag in profile pic too , keep it up ...

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    Nice post , well said , spot on , good stuff , totally agree. ... Nice stag in profile pic too , keep it up ...
    Cheers apart from being a keyboard warrior in my spare time i do fancy a bit of a hunt on the odd occasion
    Addicted to gun powder

Ignore me , im in a buzzy anti towling mood cause im in the bush for 2 days tomorrow .lol
    Gibo likes this.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    Ignore me , im in a buzzy anti towling mood cause im in the bush for 2 days tomorrow .lol
    Sorry to hear.......
    Addicted to gun powder

did the camo tape thing on my shotgun- it did the job -until one day when I reassembled it and the tape on the barrel stopped it sliding home to properly lock up with the bolt.
    I found out the friggin hard way with a 2/34 "12g round going off in a partially open chamber.after recovering from a powder burns on my skin,deaf ears ,a WTF state of mind,i repeated the episode under safer conditions-same result.Id been sitting in the maimai with a 3"load up the spout .still makes me cold to think what could have happened if I'd have let that go.
    I only found this fault when i got home and happened to spot a thin bright ring where barrel enters housing!
    never again will I use camo tape on my shotties
    I also found that the tape after a couple of washes does lose its elasticity and tackiness somewhat.

Banned
    I would think the risk of marring the surface with rust would outweigh the advantage of protecting it with tape. I have seen a Sako when the tape was unwound off the barrel once, and it had lines of rust around it where moisture had got in under the tape edges. I have rifles with no tape at all with no rust at all, or scratches, so I am not sure what the tape is for. But I dont look down on people who have camo tape. I am a liberal type.