Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By blair993
  • 1 Post By SamRoche
  • 1 Post By STC

Thread: Thoughts on discovery scopes.

Thoughts on discovery scopes.

Looking at a second hand tikka t1x in 22lr at hunting and fishing and it come with a discovery scope 5-20x50 sf with illuminated reticle whole package is $1400 thought on the scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unlikely to have enough recoil to shake the crap out of it... Never heard of them otherwise, so no idea if they are good or not but see if you can clamp the rifle into a tipton vise or similar, and line up something straight like the edge of a building with a defined horizontal line (block or a painted line etc) and then zoom in and out and use the focus and see if the reticle moves against the mark you've picked on the building. Then look through the field of view and see if you can pick up any weird visual effects and also any colour variations. Final one is on max zoom, see if the scope is actually useable for 'eye box' or the exit pupil size - if you can't wiggle your head without the occular lens going dark it's not going to be very useable in the field. 5-20 is quite a big scope for what is a relatively low-power and short range round. But in terms of the package and not knowing what retail is on a .22LR Tikka at the moment (as I'm not in the market for one) I can't tell you if it's worth buying the thing and chucking the scope for something possibly better suited?
    Bagheera and HandH like this.

Discovery seems to be a lesser known brand. For a 22 a smaller scope in the 3-12x range will be more useful, but try and get one with some parallax/ image focus adjustment . Id suggest asking them if instead of the scope they would give you a hard case, name brand mounts, a cleaning rod, patches and gun oil maybe a sling. That will be worth another $300-400 which you need to buy anyway and suss out what value they put on the scope itself.

A 2-7x scope would also be fine for a start and save worrying about close focus.

I've only had discovery scopes on my air rifles which they seam to hold up on break barrels. Very clear glass

STC
    If I remember correctly, my t1x was 1100 or 1200 a couple months ago, at our favorite gun shop. Whats the retail price of the scope?

I personally would rather buy new, so you are not potentially buying somebody elses problem, unless of course you know the seller, or its heavily discounted (doesnt look like it i think)

It strikes me that if you're after a 22lr with a big scope you'd probably be better off with a 17hmr with a mid-range scope.

i have a athlon 5-25 on my t1x 22lr. and just putting a pst2 5-25 on my 10/22.
    Calvnz1 likes this.

I would buy a new one and a 2nd hand scope and rings, if was able to. do you want/need a 5-20 scope on it? if you plan to selling the scope anyway, dont think you would get 400 for it.

@SamRoche - what will you mainly be using the rifle for?

I am planning on using the rifle for practicing and leaning basically because I have a t3x in .308 so wanted one that wasn’t as onerous/expensive to shoot. I ended up getting a t1x with a Burris 4.5-14.

Bol Tackshin likes this.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRoche View Post
    I am planning on using the rifle for practicing and leaning basically because I have a t3x in .308 so wanted one that wasn’t as onerous/expensive to shoot. I ended up getting a t1x with a Burris 4.5-14.

Brilliant idea, and exactly what I have done.

For that reason I put exactly the same scope on my 308 and 22.

You will find that the 22 is super fun to shoot.
    Bagheera likes this.

Yeah mate had a few shots it’s real nice.

I have a 4-16 Vixen on my EM‐332, and I find it a very useful magnification range for a .22lr.