Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: thoughts on tikka t3 lite

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    If you need some reasons to get a T3 7mm08
    Nice photos of dead deer, but not really relevant at all - I'm sure there are plenty of folk who could post just as many photos of dead deer with an SMLE or something.

I have one, it is a massive step up from an old open sight 303, but cant compare it with anything as I have no experience

The bluing is poor, it starts rusting in the rain so go stainless , it shoots way better than I can, that alone has me excited about its potential

It came with a gun works suppressor , nice to shoot with it on but puts it way out of balance, nice light wee rifle with no suppressor

Shoots Federal blue the best so far, can land 3 inside a matchbox size area at 100m when I get it right, my technique is poor , with some training and reloads it has to get better yet
    Hunt4life likes this.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You have changed your Avatar Moonhunt. I must say that looks more like you than the last one. Ha ha ha ha
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Tikkas are great out of the box, personally i believe best in price class. Savage personally i think feel more tinny than the tikka, Howa nice but a bit heavy, weatherby see howa plus for the life of mine rust was an issue, xbolt trigger blows and mods limited but really nice, remmington for same price only entry level pretty average until modded really want an XCR or otherwise with a quality stock. caliber irrelevant but personal preference is greater than .243 for resale and versatility re range/game. if first rifle magnum probs overkill.

Get a calibre/rifle your mates or hunting companions use then sensible if you want to share costs in entry level reloading learning loads and you have support in numbers on issues. plus if you need a round or two on the days the shops shut its only a grovel instead of a no goer.

an example: flatmate, 3 mates, 3 cousins all have tikkas in .270 (by bush/nelson lakes rifle) we all use the same load which does not push any boundries however performs exceptionally well compared to factory. We all rely on each other for components, knowledge and ammo when things get complicated. great system and has saved alot of heartache time and money.

i am playing with my tikka at the moment and the best long term investment i have found is the addition of a B&C stock at only $500. alloy bedding and solid finish whilst still light.

i only have the bottom metal to change and then my entire tikka is plastic free and therefore will last for my kids (except mags as i just want simple cheap standard plastic mags). so options are there in the future if you wish to apply simple mods.

Sako A7 textured stock from experience sometimes wears fast and price is stupid for the same machine.

my fav rifle (which is my most used in .300wsm) is the mod 70 SS extreme weather however a no go anymore.
    Last edited by rogers.270; 04-01-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    Addicted to gun powder

Pretty good sum up there roger!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Pretty good sum up there roger!
    simple man wants simple tool to kill simply. K.I.S.S.
    Addicted to gun powder

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Nice photos of dead deer, but not really relevant at all - I'm sure there are plenty of folk who could post just as many photos of dead deer with an SMLE or something.
    Yeah maybe. Put up some of yours then or some groups you have shot ?

The guy was asking about a T3 in 7mm08. I gave him some feedback.

Read the original question below

Looking at getting a tikkia t3 lite 7mm08 and just wondering if any has one an what think about it.
    sneeze, veitnamcam and HUNTY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    xbolt trigger blows and mods limited but really nice
    The way it comes from the factory - I agree, it's far too heavy. Just adjust it and completely remove the screw though, and then it's a very nice trigger in my opinion. Takes all of 5 minutes.

My 22 has had a trigger kit installed and then a gun smith trigger job and is about 1.5lb's. I've been told several times that it's the nicest trigger people have felt on a 22. In saying that, I can barely tell the difference in it and the trigger on my X-bolt now, which is just the factory one set at its lightest setting.

I don't like T3's much. I've never shot one but they just feel a bit cheap in my opinion. I liked the A7 a lot better, and the X-bolt more again. Here's the review of all 3 that I posted in my, "what gun to buy," thread after trying them in the shop:

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP
    Went and played with a few rifles in shops today. Tikka T3's, a Browning X-bolt and a Sako A7. Out of them all I far preferred the X-bolt actually.

Magazines: Extra round in the mag versus the other two + the mag sits flush so the X-bolt wins that one. I did like the feature on the A7 where you need to press up as well to release the mag though. At first I thought why bother, but those mags are expensive so a smart feature to prevent losing one.

Bolts: I liked the bolt the most on the Browning too, the half cock is really...really good. The half cock on the A7 was so easy to go right past for an amateur like me...although I guess you could get used to it. Didn't seem to compete though.

Triggers: The T3 and Sako won here, they were lighter but it was close. Easily fixed with a trigger job I'm told. (Note: Negated by what I said above about adjusting the X-bolt trigger).

Safety's: X-bolt again. Love the safety and the firing indicator. Well located and idiot proof. I also liked the feature of being able to leave the safety on and unlock the bolt to unload, etc.

Stocks: The T3 got hammered here by the other two. X-bolt and A7 both felt great and I especially liked the X-bolts recoil pad - very soft.

So all up it was quite close between Sako and Browning but I liked the X-bolt best. The T3's do really well considering the others are about 50% more expensive. Anyway, just my opinion - I'm sure there's plenty of Sako/Tikka fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Yeah maybe. Put up some of yours then or some groups you have shot?
    Best 100m group ever from my Savage 223 was a freak 4mm (though I can't claim to have pulled the trigger on that one). 8-12mm was pretty consistent with a variety of handloads though. Haven't tried too many factory loads but 2 out of 4 were easy sub 20mm at 100m. Good enough for me.

Previous Savage 204 was 12-13mm with an initial test load once a gunsmith fixed the previous owners hashed up DIY thread+crown job, we didn't bother with any further development as I'd already decided to sell it (heavy as varmint model, don't buy a varmint rifle for normal hunting).

Couple of Rem 700s and another Savage owned by relatives all shoot similarly well too.

My Ruger 308 isn't quite as sharp, 20-22mm @ 100m with handloads = 0.75 MOA. Highland 150gr was about 1.2", didn't try any other factory ammo.

I don't generally bother taking photos of animals I've shot and I still don't think somebody having shot x number of animals with a particular rifle constitutes a reason for buying that rifle as people shoot animals with all sorts of rifles - if you shoot a lot of deer it says more about your skills as a hunter than anything. Like I said at the start - Tikkas are good rifles and so are most of the alternatives, the OP should try a few and buy whichever he prefers.

I guess that the number of animals is a test on reliability?

A lot of Tikas go no further than from the safe to the car, to the range and home again. At least Nathan’s pics show that they work in the field, if they get that far.

I’ve got a neat little micro Savage in .223 that I use a lot. Accurate and can’t fault it much...except if I left it without oil for 2 days it would turn orange and rust shut permanently. They all have their faults, but at $1150 the Stainless Tikas look good value and the suckers don’t rust.

A mate has one, he'd sleep with it if that was legal, I think....
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Different strokes for different folks I guess at the end of the day you buy what fits you the best in your budget range instead of following a trend of what everyone else has, The tikka t3 has a cult following because of their quality and reliability but they are not for everyone in terms of how well they fit when shouldering for me howas, marlins and rugers fit me best and the tikkas not so much of a perfect fit.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Im a left shooter so the choices at the time were Savage Weather warrior or T3

The Tikka was $1599 at the time and the Savage $1350 for a package deal with a blind mag(all they did in left hand at the time.) So savage won.

Missed out on a brand new 300 Winmag lefty T3 for $899...was gutted

Get a 308 not that Ponsonby calibre

Hell. I thought my lefty T3 300wm was good buying at $1k.
    Where was that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post

Hell. I thought my lefty T3 300wm was good buying at $1k.
    Where was that one?

On sale at H&F Lower Hutt, that sent out an email on a thursday night and this was on sale at that price, brand new. Suppose no bugger wanted it. Someone rang on the friday morning 20 minutes before i did and bought it.

I think I saw it advertised on here soon after for a bit more.