Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Tikka?

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    One advantage of being a 270 owner and the only one I can think of is "You will quickly build up your tracking and blood trailing skills"

If you keep it for a year and you get out a lot you will have achieved Blackfella Tracka status which take others a life time to achieve. So its not all bad I guess

A great hunter I shot with brought one because he had thousands of NZFS CAC 130 gr rounds that he had received at two rounds per deer tail.

My God I could track by the time that little episode was over I can tell you. Tracking deer through pepperwood is hard with its red spotted leaves, but through red tussock its a damn sight harder.

A rather inexperienced shooter with a 270 took up a position next to me, but back a bit when I was trying to clean up a mob of deer on the tussock one day. Fuck when he fired the blast rolled me over and I have got a big fat locust that sings away in my eardrum 24 hours of the day now.

I call her Tikka.

All I will say to that is using a tool for something it was never meant (as a close range bush rifle) with poorly constructed bullets is never going to end well.

Good thing the tool was never blamed! 😁
    Last edited by Spudattack; 19-11-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    HUNTY likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    All I will say to that is using a tool for something it was never meant (as a close range bush rifle) with poorly constructed bullets is never going to end well.

Good thing the tool was never blamed! 
    Nah all of this shooting was at a fair range over open tussock.

This ammunition was especially made for Forest Service for animal Control and the brass was head stamped NZFS. They are still around these shells, mostly in collections where they belong.

You are right you shouldn't blame the tool and you have to blame the hunter in the end. But after a few days of mayhem he had lost his confidence in his weapon and once that happens you might as well throw stones at them.

This ammunition was especially made for Forest Service for animal Control and the brass was head stamped NZFS. They are still around these shells, mostly in collections where they belong.
    When I read that I read made by the cheapest tender.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

Exactly what I was thinking, made with the cheapest bullets they could get their hands on!
    dogmatix and Matt2308 like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

J.T
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    For a no frills out of the box go shooting rifle they are a good bang for buck and the bolt is very slick and easy to strip down and clean. But what I didn't like is to single feeding them the ejection port is to small and that very distinct hollow plastic sound when hunting in tight stuff. I am the same as Dogmatix up graded to a Sako.
    If you want bling the Remington's have far more aftermarket parts.

and as for Tikka's being gay its all how you hold your hand.
    Well I disagree about the action. I found the action in a brand new 7mm 08 shit and sticky.......bad batch maybe? I reckon because the lsa tikkas are mint made by differnt people though?.The action in my Winchester ultimate shadow was alot sharper and smother as is my ruger so I wouldn't use that as selling point. First Cal is irrelevant nothing wrong with 270,22 250,223,243,256,6.5's,7mm 08,308,30 06,rem mag I could go on.who gives a fat oiley fuck what most people on here say! Buy a tikka just to fuck someone off thats what I'd do
    andyanimal31, username and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by J.T View Post
    Well I disagree about the action. I found the action in a brand new 7mm 08 shit and sticky.......bad batch maybe? I reckon because the lsa tikkas are mint made by differnt people though?.The action in my Winchester ultimate shadow was alot sharper and smother as is my ruger so I wouldn't use that as selling point. First Cal is irrelevant nothing wrong with 270,22 250,223,243,256,6.5's,7mm 08,308,30 06,rem mag I could go on.who gives a fat oiley fuck what most people on here say! Buy a tikka just to fuck someone off thats what I'd do
    I handled a T3 in 223 a couple of months ago in store and noticed that it was real sloppy. So much so that the bolt stuck a bit!
    Quite unlike my tikka

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

also the finish on the new ones is real shit, esp the bolt sounds not raspy but like more zipping sound and I took a look at a mates one look like the bolt hadn't even been polished

Beretta is known for its quality designed and built firearms and excellent after market service.

gadgetman likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    This doesn't quite answer the conundrum that has puzzled me for years. Why wasn't the 270 accepted in general by the culling fraternity. As you would go a long way to find a profession that took more pride in the tools of the trade and using the best available at the time.

We 222 users were happy to buy a sako vixen through the NZFS and thrived on three 222 rounds per kill. Mostly we were supplied with sako or Hertinberg Ammo. Very good stuff it was too but I think we mostly preferred the Hertinberg.

The only other Ammo supplied to shooters was 270, 130 gr, CAC. Most every shooter that took 2 270 round per kill then traded these packets of bullets for powder and projectiles and reloaded for the Sako Forester 243's they were all using.

These shooters could just as easily traded for Powder and better 270 projectiles (if that was the problem) and reloaded for the 270 if they found the calibre acceptable.

R93
    Most .270 projectiles were designed for northern hemisphere game as I understood it.
    I had a partner in crime who used one as well, we were always, along with my poo 4 3 following friggin blood trails.
    He changed cal and never looked back.
    If I could ever go back to full time meat shooting it would be with a humble .223 using cheap but effective components.

The 2 former cals I will never use hunting again, no matter what developments may arise with them.
    It would be like marrying an old girlfriend you just couldn't wait to dump.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I always said I'd never buy a T3 Tikka. Then I saw the Hunter Wood/Stainless Fluted model in cack-handed configuration and that was soon to change. I bought one in 308 a month or so ago, slapped Zeiss 3-9 on it, grabbed a box of 150gn Hornady ammo, sighted it in and went hunting. Very happy with the finish of the rifle, its light and well balanced, bolt is smooth as and like most Tikkas it does shoot well. 100% kill/shot rate so far, 11 kills from 11 shots. A couple of pigs the rest deer, ranges from 5m out to 285m. Can't really fault it.
    Bryan, Pengy, Danny and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

This doesn't quite answer the conundrum that has puzzled me for years. Why wasn't the 270 accepted in general by the culling fraternity. As you would go a long way to find a profession that took more pride in the tools of the trade and using the best available at the time.

We 222 users were happy to buy a sako vixen through the NZFS and thrived on three 222 rounds per kill. Mostly we were supplied with sako or Hertinberg Ammo. Very good stuff it was too but I think we mostly preferred the Hertinberg.

The only other Ammo supplied to shooters was 270, 130 gr, CAC. Most every shooter that took 2 270 round per kill then traded these packets of bullets for powder and projectiles and reloaded for the Sako Forester 243's they were all using.

These shooters could just as easily traded for Powder and better 270 projectiles (if that was the problem) and reloaded for the 270 if they found the calibre acceptable.

I think you have probably answerrd your own question with your earlier post!

Initial failures and wounding due to poor quality supplied ammo led to loss of confidence in the calibre which was then passed down from mentor to apprentice, "don't use the .270, it wounds game, just trust me!" and so the opinion was spread without a lot ever trying it.
    After your mates initial failures was he keen to try loading for it? I doubt it as he had already lost faith in it due probably to poor ammunition rather than the actual calibre.

It has suffered a similar stigma that all weatherby chamberings suffered in Africa, weatherby is still uttered as a swear word even though most who have this opinion have never even seen a weatherby chambering!
    When they were launched back in the 60s with their high mv, premium bonded and mono bullets were not available, this let to a lot of failures and bullet blow ups.
    Now we have much better bullets that perform well at high velocities, but the stigma has stuck.
    Sounds familiar doesn't it?

The .270 is very popular in Africa, probably due to being marketed as a long range chambering from the start and was used as such, lower impact velocities meant the bullets could handle it and far fewer blow ups.
    veitnamcam and Matt2308 like this.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    I think you have probably answerrd your own question with your earlier post!

Initial failures and wounding due to poor quality supplied ammo led to loss of confidence in the calibre which was then passed down from mentor to apprentice, "don't use the .270, it wounds game, just trust me!" and so the opinion was spread without a lot ever trying it.
    After your mates initial failures was he keen to try loading for it? I doubt it as he had already lost faith in it due probably to poor ammunition rather than the actual calibre.

It has suffered a similar stigma that all weatherby chamberings suffered in Africa, weatherby is still uttered as a swear word even though most who have this opinion have never even seen a weatherby chambering!
    When they were launched back in the 60s with their high mv, premium bonded and mono bullets were not available, this let to a lot of failures and bullet blow ups.
    Now we have much better bullets that perform well at high velocities, but the stigma has stuck.
    Sounds familiar doesn't it?

The .270 is very popular in Africa, probably due to being marketed as a long range chambering from the start and was used as such, lower impact velocities meant the bullets could handle it and far fewer blow ups.
    This 270 problem spread over into the meathunting phase as well, We had as you mentioned blow-ups where the projectile hit bone making a big hole and pumping gut gas and contents all through the meat, so many of the carcases went off before we could get them to the chiller. Pure fly bait most of them

Or if the projectile missed bone it would rip through without expanding. We used to say if you had three deer standing in a line it would kill the third one cleanly and you would spend the rest of the day blood trailing the other two.

It was always great handling the carcases shot through the neck or ribs with the trebbly. A little bit of moss dipped in pepper or flyspray and they would keep for five days even in the summer if you kept them dry.
    Last edited by Scribe; 20-11-2014 at 01:30 PM.

This 270 problem spread over into the meathunting phase as well, We had as you mentioned blow-ups where the projectile hit bone making a big hole and pumping gut gas and contents all through the meat, so many of the carcases went off before we could get them to the chiller. Pure fly bait most of them

Or if the projectile missed bone it would rip through without expanding. We used to say if you had three deer standing in a line it would kill the third one cleanly and you would spend the rest of the day blood trailing the other two.

It was always great handling the carcases shot through the neck or ribs with the trebbly. A little bit of moss dipped in pepper or flyspray and they would keep for five days even in the summer if you kept them dry.

So they were persisted with? Did anyone try and change the projectile they were supplied with? Would be interesting to know what the projectiles were?
    Again it sounds like a poorly constructed bullet, something like a nosler partition that expands rapidly to a point and then holds together would have probably gone a long way to solving these issues as well as going to a 150gr bullet (u have no idea why anyone uses 130gr bullets in a 270 except for mono metals, 150s are just better!)

I see your point with the trebbly, small fast bullet through the ribs disintegrating and making a mess of the vitals and not exiting,perfect for what you were doing.

Wouldn't have been very reliable hitting heavy bone though! At least you were supplied good quality ammo for the 222.😊
    dogmatix and Matt2308 like this.

CAC NZFS 270 ammo used a locally produced copy of a Speer 130 projectile according to Lynn Harris