Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tikka T3 vs T3x

Tikka T3 vs T3x

If you just compare the actions / barrels / accuracy / performance of the older model T3 to the newer T3x what are the differences , and do you have a preference.
    I own both models in a number of different calibers and apart from the different ergonomics/modularity of the stocks they all shoot exceptionally well and have not given me any issues.
    The finish on the older blued T3 actions is a different colour to the barrels , but I think I actually prefer my older models for some reason that I can’t put my finger on .
    Do you Tikka guys out there have a favourite ?
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I think differences are mi inal mainly the stock as you say and maybe plastic bolt release on the t3 and steel on the t3x? Bolt shoud is plastic on both I think . Iv had both didnt have a preference as i changed the stocks on most of them anyhow

I preferred the stock on my older t3 to the t3x, could just be that I was so familiar with it, bit like when you pick up your old hammer

Isn’t the loading port slightly bigger on X? Hence in theory more rigid action?

Loading/ejection port is bigger on a t3x, stock changes and a steel recoil lug. I ended up putting a t3x stock on my old t3 as I like the more upright grip you can change out.
    6x47 likes this.

Plastic bolt release on the T3?? I just rechecked my one - looks steel to me? Have owned since 2005.
    Kelton likes this.

It was the cocking piece/shroud that’s plastic on T3, alloy/steel on T3X from memory
    Kelton likes this.

Action: T3x has a slightly larger ejection port and a steel bolt shroud instead of plastic (T3). Both are known for smooth operation and reliability.
    Barrel: Both models use the same high-quality Tikka barrels known for exceptional accuracy.
    Accuracy/Performance: You're right, both models should deliver excellent accuracy and performance.

Bought the tools off a Forum member for a barrel change. They will go on a T3. Never used a T3X as the "old" T3 is robot reliable and accurate. The plastic bits that create grief is the mag spring. Try to minimise the time that the mag is loaded to ease constant strain. Going to switch to Waters probably full time.

Good luck on pulling a Tikka barrel without very good gear. They are assembled without any anti-sieze lub and are notoriously hard to break the joint.

PS. Using a big pipe wrench is cheating

Quote Originally Posted by schmidt32 View Post
    Action: T3x has a slightly larger ejection port and a steel bolt shroud instead of plastic (T3). Both are known for smooth operation and reliability.
    Barrel: Both models use the same high-quality Tikka barrels known for exceptional accuracy.
    Accuracy/Performance: You're right, both models should deliver excellent accuracy and performance.
    ChatGPT?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Mountain Tactical go into depth with the differences between the T3 and T3x actions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1kv6gkQNng

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    ChatGPT?
    thread resurrection at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Good luck on pulling a Tikka barrel without very good gear. They are assembled without any anti-sieze lub and are notoriously hard to break the joint.

Dont worry . Looked at all the vids etc. Davison vise. SAC action wrench.[via a Forum member] Big wrench to do the main job. Will Kroil the throat for a week as thye say it helps immeasurably.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post

You must not have touched many then or been very unlucky. I pretty much remove tikka barrels weekly and most have anti seize grease on their threads .

The barrel steel or steel treatment of tikkas has changed over the years as they are easier to get a nice thread finish in the later productions than the early T3.
    caberslash likes this.