Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By PERRISCICABA
  • 1 Post By PERRISCICABA
  • 2 Post By omegaspeedy
  • 1 Post By Paddy79
  • 1 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem

Thread: Tikka T3x Tac A1 (new boy on the block)

Tikka T3x Tac A1 (new boy on the block)

So I've seen these around the net a but over the last 6 months and it seems to be a contender against the Ruger Precision Rifle in the world of pre built tactical bolts, however I see one stocked here in NZ for a full $1000 more than the RPR... buuuut it's a Tikka and you could probably resell it on Tardme for 5k anyway.

Anyone here who would consider this over the RPR considering the price? Just for better fit and finish? (And it's a Tikka)

T3x TAC A1 | Tikka

Check the magazine internal lengths, the RPR is a tiny bit short/could be longer in the 6.5 CM with 140+ projectiles.

I'd be comparing prices to getting a bare action and building it up yourself $5K gets you a lot of add ons

The beauty of the Ruger is that it duplicates "AR" ergonomics very closely . . . bore line in relation to comb height etc, and to me that's the biggest "advantage" to the AR platform, they seem to be very easy to shoot well. The Tikka is close but "no cigar" IMHO, it will have a different recoil impulse for starters.

I have a RPR and i am very happy with it, actually i love it!!! In the Tikka side of things if i could afford it i would swap my RPR for a TAC1, my Gen1 RPR has its little down sides such as the fore end don't align with barrel and sometime i think it is quiet "bulk" overall but saying it i can not forget how accurate and reliable it is for me.
    Why i would swap for the "Tikka"? Because the Tikka's i have had in the past where VERY nice built, smooth bolt handling extreme accurate for a "hunting" rifle matching any "match" rifle available. We have other brands releasing their new match rifle on chassi system such as Bergara, howa, savage and even mossberg so options are plenty, quality I can't guarantee what I don't know.

I hope I am/was of some help.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    I have a RPR and i am very happy with it, actually i love it!!! In the Tikka side of things if i could afford it i would swap my RPR for a TAC1, my Gen1 RPR has its little down sides such as the fore end don't align with barrel and sometime i think it is quiet "bulk" overall but saying it i can not forget how accurate and reliable it is for me.
    Why i would swap for the "Tikka"? Because the Tikka's i have had in the past where VERY nice built, smooth bolt handling extreme accurate for a "hunting" rifle matching any "match" rifle available. We have other brands releasing their new match rifle on chassi system such as Bergara, howa, savage and even mossberg so options are plenty, quality I can't guarantee what I don't know.

I hope I am/was of some help.

Mac
    Do you use your RPR as a hunting rifle, or is it a bench/bipod only rifle?
    Seems that chassis rifles are taking over the world, but I could think of nothing worse for a hunting rifle.

I have enjoyed the AR15s I have used, but the smooth lines of a hunting rifle or even that of a "Tactical" thumbhole/Mcmillian stock to me are a heck of a lot for comfortable to a rifle that gets dragged through scrub and gorse, and a lot more comfortable slung over the shoulder.
    It look (to me) like the magazine, pistol grip and adjustable but stock would just be things to get caught/dig into your back when the rifle is slung.

Keen to get some feedback from users.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Check the magazine internal lengths, the RPR is a tiny bit short/could be longer in the 6.5 CM with 140+ projectiles.
    Pretty Sure it uses the TRG -22 mag same as the CTR. Which would mean it was longer than the old plastic fantastics wouldn't it???..

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Do you use your RPR as a hunting rifle, or is it a bench/bipod only rifle?
    Seems that chassis rifles are taking over the world, but I could think of nothing worse for a hunting rifle.

I have enjoyed the AR15s I have used, but the smooth lines of a hunting rifle or even that of a "Tactical" thumbhole/Mcmillian stock to me are a heck of a lot for comfortable to a rifle that gets dragged through scrub and gorse, and a lot more comfortable slung over the shoulder.
    It look (to me) like the magazine, pistol grip and adjustable but stock would just be things to get caught/dig into your back when the rifle is slung.

Keen to get some feedback from users.
    Yup @Beetroot - fondled and thought hard about both the RPR and Tac-1 - before thinking I'd hold out for the CTR with a 24"inch in 6.5 option. As supplied to both the euro and US markets.

Considering this as a hunting rifle and carrying rifle this seemed the better blend to me after carrying chassis before dig in every time they roll around and there's the extra parker-ised stuff to keep and eye on for rust in those weird out of the way places.

Name:  IMG_9051.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  996.3 KB

Yes I did use 3X for hunting and I can advised you, if you not shooting from the vehicle you carrying the animal out DINT DI IT!!!
    It is heavy! Unless it is a farm paddock close to the main house! Lol!
    Beetroot likes this.

In other words, buy a rifle for hunt and a rifle for target! I know it may be impossible or expensive but realistic!!! I would buy a Tikka TAC1 for target and a Tikka lite for hunt...
    Friwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I'd be comparing prices to getting a bare action and building it up yourself $5K gets you a lot of add ons
    I was really keen on the TAC A1 but couldn't wait. Heres what $5500 gets you in the Tikka 6.5mm range. That TAC A1 looks way better than my put together and I'm sure will be lighter. I'm still keen! They will sell like hot cakes.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_c30.jpg
Views: 4139
Size:  195.9 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_c32.jpg
Views: 4203
Size:  195.0 KB
    Macca and PERRISCICABA like this.

The new improved version of the rpr is awesome, but if your hunting get a hunting rifle , if you target shooting get one built for that, expensive? yes, worth it ? fuck yes
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Yup @Beetroot - fondled and thought hard about both the RPR and Tac-1 - before thinking I'd hold out for the CTR with a 24"inch in 6.5 option. As supplied to both the euro and US markets.

Considering this as a hunting rifle and carrying rifle this seemed the better blend to me after carrying chassis before dig in every time they roll around and there's the extra parker-ised stuff to keep and eye on for rust in those weird out of the way places.
    Carpe Diem Was in Reloaders today and they had a 24" CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor.
    I had a bit of a play and played with a RPR as well.

The CTR was a lot heavier than I expected (not really sure what I was expecting) but was a heck of a lot lighter than the RPR I played with.
    Both rifles were nice, I'm not that fond of the accu-trigger the RPR has, I've always preferred a nice single stage trigger.

If you go and buy it then you can post a review and then I'll know if I should by one in 260.
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Carpe Diem Was in Reloaders today and they had a 24" CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor.
    I had a bit of a play and played with a RPR as well.

The CTR was a lot heavier than I expected (not really sure what I was expecting) but was a heck of a lot lighter than the RPR I played with.
    Both rifles were nice, I'm not that fond of the accu-trigger the RPR has, I've always preferred a nice single stage trigger.

If you go and buy it then you can post a review and then I'll know if I should by one in 260.
    Thanks @Beetroot - will have to go in for a play... again.... Mike will be getting sick of seeing me in there!! But both he and I have the same fundamental problem we're both waiting on the Leftie version!!!

Although fella I really don't know what Tikka was smoking offering the 6.5 as a 20" - probably a marketing person who saw all the hunters out there turning their 308's and 7mm into 'pigs". The 24" is a far better length to maximise the powder burn rates commonly used for 6.5mm according to all the US long range/benchy forums.
    Shearer likes this.

Get a cheap Tikka Tac. Put it into an LSS -XL or an ESS. Mine is in a stock standard LSS, kinda wish I had made the step up to XL.