Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Tombstone lever action 9mm

I cant but help think it should be painted orange or pink and be shooting foam darts with sticky suckers on the end.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The concept is neat, the execution and price, not so much IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if I had to use that to shoot goats...I would hide in shame. supermegifugly in extreme.
    agree with ya Micky Duck - compare that with the photo of a .222 Sako in Australia on here -1981 unfired in original box and no bloody competition really - the only thing that pisses me of is this nagging feeling that the .223 lever pictured here would likely be actually practical - now I will go and chew my arm of for such thoughts lol lol lol
    Micky Duck likes this.

Well I happen to love my Thompson Dimension Centre, a fine looking rifle and awesome shooter so I can't quite fathom what all y'alls problem is. I'd have one tomorrow and proud to take it anywhere (legal).
    Name:  Thompson-center-dimension-.243.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  31.1 KB
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Jhon, I know you are a fellow tragic, So I will forgive you putting up a picture of that tomato stick on a lever thread.

However, I get your point. We generally accept plastic bolt actions without all this whining. I see it's possible to replace the stock with a wooden one off a shotgun. Remove the brake and make up a more conventional forearm and I might be able to remove the paper bag..........
    Jhon likes this.

If they made a repro Winchester 1895 in 223 but with a detachable mag?? Or maybe a Savage 99?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    If they made a repro Winchester 1895 in 223 but with a detachable mag?? Or maybe a Savage 99?
    They do, they are called the BLR or the Henry Long-ranger. As good as these are, they are based on a 308 action length. It would be nice to see a properly scaled down lever action for the 223 type length.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    They do, they are called the BLR or the Henry Long-ranger. As good as these are, they are based on a 308 action length. It would be nice to see a properly scaled down lever action for the 223 type length.
    Yeah I'd be all over something like that. The blrs are nice rifles but they don't feel quite as "right" in hand as the 1895 or similar patterns

Problem with all of the new production lever guns, is they are overpriced and finished like trash compared to the older models. There's no comparison in machining quality comparing an old turn of the 20th century 1895 to a new production one. Even modern BLR's look and feel like hot garbage compared to the ones made in the 70's and 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Yeah I'd be all over something like that. The blrs are nice rifles but they don't feel quite as "right" in hand as the 1895 or similar patterns
    1895? do you mean 1894? 95s are neat but to me feel funny in the hand because of the mag. 94s are cool but weigh more than a BLR, owning both I prefer the BLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Problem with all of the new production lever guns, is they are overpriced and finished like trash compared to the older models. There's no comparison in machining quality comparing an old turn of the 20th century 1895 to a new production one. Even modern BLR's look and feel like hot garbage compared to the ones made in the 70's and 80's.
    Not my experience. Modern Miroku made Winchesters are expensive, but the fit and finish is as good as anything that came out of the Winchester factory, they just don't have the history or nostalgia. Having used and owned BLRs with steel actions and later alloy ones all made by Miroku I have not noticed any difference in quality except half a pound less in weight.

Cannot speak for Marlin or Henrys etc.
    NRT likes this.

it beggers belief that Ruger DID NOT take the logical step of levering up the mini 14 the 44mag got done and what a wonderful rifle that is... if the mini 14 had the same treatment the resulting lever action .223----7.62x39mm would make an awesome carry rifle .
    indeed the 10/22 and 10/22mag could just as easily be done,afterall 75% of the tooling is already done.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    it beggers belief that Ruger DID NOT take the logical step of levering up the mini 14 the 44mag got done and what a wonderful rifle that is... if the mini 14 had the same treatment the resulting lever action .223----7.62x39mm would make an awesome carry rifle .
    indeed the 10/22 and 10/22mag could just as easily be done,afterall 75% of the tooling is already done.
    The 10/22 and mag did get done, look up the Ruger model 96. Yeah a mini 14 equivalent lever would be very cool.

Nah I mean the 95, just tweak it so it holds more

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    The 10/22 and mag did get done, look up the Ruger model 96. Yeah a mini 14 equivalent lever would be very cool.
    I fondled one in .44mag the other day...Im still drooling.
    Got-ya likes this.