Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By zeropak
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By Beaker
  • 1 Post By threefootsix

Thread: torch

torch

Someone decided to "borrow" my Maxtoch - what is everyone using now? is there a better one / brand out now?

one of these from Jacob at Piercing the darkness. Cheaper than a maxtoch and just as good. https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.n...onvoy-l21b-pm1
    zimmer, csmiffy and threefootsix like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Maxtoch either the M24 or 2X. Both have the new led. Impressive.
    XR500 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    one of these from Jacob at Piercing the darkness. Cheaper than a maxtoch and just as good. https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.n...onvoy-l21b-pm1
    X2 for PTD. Got a good little green led torch this time last year. I'm sure the bigger torches would perform accordingly. @Moa Hunter has seen it in the paddock at least. We missed a chance for him to tale it out on hill but on the couple of excursions I've had it on I'm very happy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    X2 for PTD. Got a good little green led torch this time last year. I'm sure the bigger torches would perform accordingly. @Moa Hunter has seen it in the paddock at least. We missed a chance for him to tale it out on hill but on the couple of excursions I've had it on I'm very happy
    Obviously the little torch wont be quite as good as the bigger one, but in all honesty it will show a deer up clearly out to the maximum night time shot distance of 300 mtrs and it is a lot lighter and more manageable. For all normal conditions I would pick the X2

Not sure if they fit in rifle mounts, but as a hand held torch, the middle sized one is brighter than my maxitech.
    Brought on a wim, but bloody impressed by performance. Can't say how long a set of batteries last,or continuous use (maybe used for 5-10 Mims at a time). But for light output, bloody amazing.

Costco, ?80$ for 3. And they use normal aa, and c batteries. Really amazing power.Name:  IMG_20230713_102718.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  2.68 MB

Name:  IMG_20230713_102729.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  2.91 MB
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

As mentioned above, check out PTD and try a Convoy L21b with the SFT40 chip, my current favourite (prefer it over the PM1 osram chip in the same body). Ask Jacob if he's going to carry the 5000k version that's just come out, that would probably be the most versatile colour temp.
    If you wanted an even tighter spot you could try the NM1 chip but you will sacrifice some range.
    Best of all, keep some $ in your pocket - you could get 2 L21b torches and a bunch of batteries for the price of a 2X.
    Moa Hunter likes this.