Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Are Toz .22 ok?

Hell!..... for that sort of money I'd buy it. You cant go wrong

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I had a friend that owned a single shot Toz back in 1968/69. It didn't have grooves on the receiver for a scope so he had to get the action drilled and tapped for a scope. The trigger was solid metal unlike the later model Toz's which had a stamped metal trigger. It had the muzzle flash eliminator. It was deadly on rabbits and just as accurate as my German Voere bolt action which was no slouch either.

Photos up now. Looks pretty beaten up :-(

By nature I'm not a risk taker and what I've read in posts above they're old, parts hard to get and photos now posted appear to show its the bulb muzzle version so very old and looks like it's had a hard life. Disposable cash in really short supply so seems not worth the risk. For me anyway. Likely good for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    By nature I'm not a risk taker and what I've read in posts above they're old, parts hard to get and photos now posted appear to show its the bulb muzzle version so very old and looks like it's had a hard life. Disposable cash in really short supply so seems not worth the risk. For me anyway. Likely good for someone else.
    It looks ok to me especially for $120. A couple hours work and it would probably be a nice wee gun.
    A bit of sandpaper, elbow grease, and some oil or varnish for the stock. A scotchbrite pad with some oil on it for the metalwork.

I refinished mine, and it also used to have the bulb on the muzzle but I had it threaded.
    Name:  toz.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  126.0 KB
    10-Ring and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    It looks ok to me especially for $120. A couple hours work and it would probably be a nice wee gun.
    A bit of sandpaper, elbow grease, and some oil or varnish for the stock. A scotchbrite pad with some oil on it for the metalwork.

I refinished mine, and it also used to have the bulb on the muzzle but I had it threaded.
    Attachment 124031
    ive had mine for 40 odd yrs .in fact its on loan to GSPF at present. cause thew old girl was so forgiving and the stock so shitty I restocked her in a n old stirling s/a stock a cuzzie gave me.in the early 80s i also got the late paulus manders here in chch to fit one of his supressors-he tapped the bulb fitted a custom insert and screwed on one of his own suppressors.

that rifle has been through hell with me and is still honest as sunday is long.
    GSPF has even outshot me when ive been having a play with my .223!!
    rabbits possums -ive lost count of the number who snuffed it at the hands of that wee russian nana!

also running shorty version of jw15 and a very very cute ruger 10/22 owned by a cobber in aussie!
    timattalon likes this.

ok, I brought it...............now I just need to ask the Mrs for forgiveness
    Rocco and ChrisW like this.

If you do polish the trigger, watch a few videos first. Dont change any angles, if you can find a piece of milled-steel with nice square/sharp edges, you can tightly-fold 1200 wet & dry over it, and carefully polish the angles/flats that are there. Polish pivot-pins, and even the holes with string and brasso. Many inventive ways. Dont use a dremel !. Easy to remove metal, feken hard to replace it
    10-Ring, Tommy, Rocco and 1 others like this.

I think I have a bolt for a Toz laying around somewhere in the parts bin. Got it in a 'box o bits' a mate gave me. (He said it was from a Toz) If you want it, its yours.
    10-Ring likes this.

So seems taking a risk is worth it! Appears like it's turned into a bit of a bargain. The guy brought it new and gave me a cleaning set plus approx 180 ammo!
    It's a bit rusty and dirty but very quick clean of the bore shows it's in pretty decent nick. A proper cleanup and it'll do the job fine. Very pleased.
    Will be a couple of weeks before I can try it out but will report back on how it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    timattalon and ChrisW like this.

Not sure how I missed it. Good buy.

Had the chance to give it a try on Saturday. Pictures say a 1000 words so look at the results. The 3 shots I've circled are the very first 3 I fired, I kid you not!
    Target was at 25m and far from ideal conditions as I was in an open area with 40-60km hot north west wind coming from right. Didn't have any support so these were prone shots and due to wind I was really struggling to keep the recticle of the 4x32 within the black and sometimes hard to stay within the next 2 rings out. I shot about 50 rounds and got prettty tired trying to hold it in the wind so the other photos is the last 10 or so shot. I reckon with support, still conditions and scope adjusted it'd be black every time. Very happy!

Questions:
    1) How much does a 40-60kph cross wind move .22 at 25m?
    2) To tidy it up I've read scotchbrite pad and gun oil. Also read steel wool. Which is preferred? Is it try scotchbrite on light rust and if can't budge it use steel woodt?
    3) To clean up the stock, sandpaper or paint stripper?
    4) When reassembled do I zero it at 25m? Or further? Does 22 drop much over first 100m? I'm expecting most bunnies will be in 25-50m range
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Get some Big 45 frontier metal cleaner & Eezox from workshop innovation. This will remove the rust without damaging what is left of the bluing.

It ultimately depends on what your avg. maximum shot is.
    I would normally sight it is so its smack on at 75m. then its 3-4 inches low at 100 depending on ammo.
    It will only be a little high at 25 and 50.
    Obviously check it out with the ammo you are using.

Bos
    Some interesting comments for sure.
    The old man bought mine for me about 1973;my first 22 after stepping up from the old BSA Meteor. I used it right through the Pest Board era so it would have had thousands of rounds through it, and still going as good as the day I shot my first seagull
    oops, did I say seagull, I meant rabbit.
    10-Ring likes this.