Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JimmyJames
  • 1 Post By nzspearo

Thread: Tripod for spotting scope

Tripod for spotting scope

Bought a very nice used Swaro spotting scope, which came with a nice tripod.
    It was used indoors, looking out to sea. The tripod is a very well made, heavy bit of kit I wouldn’t want to lug around mountains.

Would like to get a lightweight tripod. I’m not super experienced with alpine hunting, but found when using a mates spotter, it was always from a sitting position.

So I’m thinking something small light, no need to go above 500mm, as with the angled lense you have the scope quite a bit below your head height.

Keen to hear what’s been used/recommended.

Cheers.

Slik 634 or 635

I used this with a Swaro 20-60ATS, Swaro ATX95 & 65

Hi,

I recently went down that rabbit hole.

Have a look at the Sirui t-024sk and Sirui St-125 and 124.

I went with the sirui st-125 and swapped out the ball head for and compact video/fluid head (Smallrig CH10 compact fluid head)

The Sirui ST leg range have a triangle centre column so fold together tighter than others. And are very stable. You need the leg length to set up on steep hills, I usually use 2-3 sections.

I highly recommend using a fluid head. A lot of people recommend the Sirui VA-5, however it is fairly big.
    The Smallrig CH10 I went with is tiny and weights 350g. Also have a look at Ulanza U-190.
    I prefer it to using a ball head where you have to hold the spotter to move it around.
    Overall weight of my setup is 1.34kg and folded size is 500mm L x 90mm W x 90mm H

Name:  IMG_8505.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  54.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_8503.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  64.0 KB

Lets me know if you have any questions

James

Quote Originally Posted by Lauries Hut View Post
    It was used indoors, looking out to sea. The tripod is a very well made, heavy bit of kit I wouldn’t want to lug around mountains.

Would like to get a lightweight tripod. I’m not super experienced with alpine hunting, but found when using a mates spotter, it was always from a sitting position.

So I’m thinking something small light, no need to go above 500mm, as with the angled lense you have the scope quite a bit below your head height.

Cheers.
    rupert likes this.

Almost exactly the same as what JimmyJames did. Only just got the spotter, kowa tsn-883 (angled) with 25-60 eyepiece, weight is around 2.2kg with canvas cover.

Bought a Sirui t-1205x and swapped out the ball head for a small video head (same model smallrig unit as above). Also considered the Sirui va-5 head, but willing to give the smallrig a go for the money (cheap and light). Have only tried at home so far, but the smallrig ch10 seems to handle the weight/balance fine, and is much better to control a spotter than a ball head.

Swapped the Sirui ball head over to some shooting sticks and will try it out with my 22 with arca rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JimmyJames likes this.

Further to my post above, I got the Sirui tripod second hand. If I was buying new I would try to get one without the extra centre column. I won’t be using the center column for height, and it prevents the whole thing from folding up a bit smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using a Slik 634 with swaro ATS65.Works well.

I brought a Sirui off @JimmyJames compact and light, i also like the spike feet and been able to change them, only thing i might change is going from the ball head to video head like above. Would like to try one see if it makes it easy to move spotter for slight movements.
    Can the one i brought of you @JimmyJames have a compact video head?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauries Hut View Post

Cheers.
    What I'm using. Not sure if you want lighter or not. This is all aluminium so heavier than carbon fibre but likely not as spendy either. My spotter is a Swaro with angled eyepiece. I bought separate plates for the tripod and spotter enabling mating of the two for use. No handle so not as convenient to move spotter around but I'm used to it.

places to eat in clinton nc

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I brought a Sirui off @JimmyJames compact and light, i also like the spike feet and been able to change them, only thing i might change is going from the ball head to video head like above. Would like to try one see if it makes it easy to move spotter for slight movements.
    Can the one i brought of you @JimmyJames have a compact video head?
    Yeah. You could put on on that tripod, they come with a thread that has 2 sizes. I found the ballhead fine when is using the tripod with my camera, but with a spotter it is easier with the fluid head.

https://photogear.co.nz/brands/small...ead-ch10-3259/

or you could have a look at this one. The small rig has pretty average little plastic knobs, This one looks to be a bit more robust

https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Ulanz...hoCBC8QAvD_BwE
    Last edited by JimmyJames; 29-01-2023 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks for the great advice fellas.��
    Great thing about forums.