Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Troy Pump Action Ar15

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Was this for a 308 version or the 223 version?
    The 308 version has a non standard thread (3/4" x 24 TPI)
    I'm sure watakiri could do a can in that thread if asked, they have done a oddball thread for me in the past.

Or get your barrel retreaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I had mine re-threaded to 5/8x24UNEF - As said above I'm sure Mark could custom make a can to fit.

So I tried to fit one for these Wilson Combat trigger to my Troy PAR tonight.
    WILSON COMBAT TACTICAL TRIGGER UNIT, Single Stage, AR-15

It was not a happening thing.
    It fitted in ok (Bit tight) but something was not right and it would just not function.
    So after much cursing I figured out the issue was the rear pin on the trigger unit was clashing with the trigger cut-out.
    I then fitted the same trigger to my Stag 9T lower to see if the trigger or the Troy lower was not right.
    See the photo below.
    I have circled the areas that clashed in the troy. It just cleared in the Stag. Yes crazy dirty lower I know, you should see the upper.
    Name:  IMG_6195.JPG
Views: 1715
Size:  641.1 KB

Funny enough the trigger would also not work correctly in the Stag lower either. It would not reset properly. Grrrrrr.

3rd time lucky.
    I then fitted the Wilson Trigger to my Remington R15 lower.
    Worked a treat.

A Timney from the Remington was then fitted to the Troy and that worked sweet.
    The original Timney from the Stag was refitted and again all is good in gun land.

I guess you can’t take it for granted that these aftermarket triggers will always just drop in and work.

I installed a Timney in mine too and had problems with lite strikes on the primers. I filed the tail of the bolt to get it to function properly, probably could of replaced the hammer spring for a heavier one but my fix took 5 secs on the belt sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I installed a Timney in mine too and had problems with lite strikes on the primers. I filed the tail of the bolt to get it to function properly, probably could of replaced the hammer spring for a heavier one but my fix took 5 secs on the belt sander.
    The Timney trigger was a no go in my rifle today so it got ripped out and put to use in another .223 Ar15 that was in need. It was producing very light primer strikes so I swapped the Troy back to the factory trigger.
    Not keen on butchering the rifle to make it work with the Timney.
    I ordered a Elftmann Tactical Ar10/.308 trigger late last week so it should turn up tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.
    ELFTMANN TACTICAL AR-10/.308 Trigger

Put a bit over 180 rounds through the rifle with the standard trigger fitted this afternoon. The trigger is not actually too bad really. Just a little heavy for off hand shooting.
    It was a mixture of 155 HBC reloads, PPU 150gn soft points and F4 FMJ military ammo and some odds and sods.
    The weight of the rifle and comp make this rifle a pussy cat to shoot.
    The 308 gives the plates a good smack compared to the .223’s I was also running.
    My reloads showed good promise but are a tad on the hot side so the next lot will be dropped back ˝ a grain.
    The PPU ammo actually shot really well with some tight groups (1 to 1 1 /2” groups @ 100m) and ringing 6” plates at 200 meters was child’s play.
    The F4 was nice to shoot but only did about 2” groups at 100 meters. Good plinking ammo.
    The odds and sods had hieroglyphics on the case head so gods knows where they came from but they were difficult to both chamber and extract plus 2 would not fire even with repeated primer hits…

Shooting prone was ok with cycling the pump not a big issue.
    Recoil wise, shooting prone was very mild.
    Shooting of hand was nice. It can be cycled and fired really quickly, certainly quicker than any bolt action.
    It’s a heavy rifle compared to a 14.5” .233 AR15 for example so hitting 6” plates of hand at 200m took a couple or 3 shots before connecting.
    Need to do some more practice with it.

Looking forward to hitting the range again soon.
    Will let you know how it goes.
    Beaker and res like this.

So I fitted the new trigger.
    Fitting was easy and it fitted the action like a glove.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  652.6 KB

I pulled some F4 bullets and also some of my reloads, and tried them out with the new trigger.
    The F4 primers did not fire but the reloads did.
    Bugger. I will leave it as is for now.
    the issue is not the trigger, but the bolt lock on the troy (Circled in Blue below).

Name:  IMG_6219.JPG
Views: 1388
Size:  559.8 KB

The hammer shape from the original trigger and the new is exactly the same (The striking face).
    The only difference is the hammer spring weights, the Troy original being significantly heavier.
    So when you chamber a round the finger circled in blue above locks into the bolt stopping the action from opening until the trigger is pulled or the release is pushed.
    When the hammer is release, it makes contact with both the firing pin and also pushes the finger forward which releases it from the bolt.
    The hammer at rest against the finger is circled below in red.
    The hammer making contact with the finger is taking some of the sting out of the strike.

Name:  IMG_6220.JPG
Views: 1403
Size:  584.1 KB

Anyway I will run it as it is for a while and see how it goes.
    The triggers break and reset is fantastic.

A 7.62x39 AR15 is on my to do list so at worse the trigger will be used for that to run military ball.
    I have just bought a second hand Burris AR-536 of Trade Me so will mount that up once I get it onto the Troy.
    The Strike Eagle is just a bit heavy on this already heavy rifle so I will try the Burris out on it.
    I already run one of these Burris on one of my AR15 .223 and like it alot.
    308 likes this.

Update time.
    So I have fired a lot of rounds through it now (Coming up to 1000 now) and will give it another blast tomorrow.
    The Good.
    Its accurate and nice to shot considering its 308.
    Got it for a good price, half what I would pay for a AR10. Still will get a AR10 at some stage.
    It stays so clean compared to your normal gas powered AR15.

The Bad.
    It’s on the heavy side. She is not a walk around hunter that’s for sure.
    I am still having light strikes with after market triggers so I have replaced the bolt locking plunger spring with a slightly lighter one and it appears to set of CCI Large rifle primers consistently now.
    F4 military primers needs two hits to set them off so it’s still not 100%. I like the rifle a lot but not being able to drop in aftermarket triggers and get them to work is a pain in the butt.
    The Compensator thread is not a standard thread. Grrr.

Other Thoughts.
    Reading on line they are saying the Hiperfire 3g trigger is the way to go so if I can find one I may change.
    The pump became stiff after a while but once I stripped it down and greased it up its now smooth as butter.
    308 likes this.

How did you find stripping down the handguard and roller tracks for the pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    How did you find stripping down the handguard and roller tracks for the pump?
    Was really easy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKKhu8s-gxg

Still had some light strikes so back to my standard trigger.