Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 3 Post By Cyclops
  • 1 Post By Tim Dicko
  • 3 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Tim Dicko
  • 1 Post By jono7
  • 1 Post By Friwi
  • 1 Post By Echo
  • 6 Post By AMac

Thread: True Flite Barrel Contour

True Flite Barrel Contour

Hi all, I'm piecing together what I want for my 7mm SAUM and cant decide what True Flite barrel contour to go with. From those who have had them can you comment on what contour you have and what its like, IE similar to Tikka etc. The rifle is going to be a do it all hunting setup at 20" with DPT suppressor and although I want it light, accuracy is also going to be important to stretch the legs. I was going to go Bartlein at 2B profile but think I have decided to go NZ made so I guess whatever is the closest to that? I'm thinking either #2 or #3.

Cheers
    25/08IMP likes this.

2B is a good place to start for a hunting rifle but you can ask them to vary that profile according to what you want; they can vary it to suit your stock or your aesthetic requirements. I have a 23" ultramatch TF barrel on my 7mm WSM that they manufactured in 2020 with some variation from a standard 2B.
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...

I bought a bartlein 2B which Mitch turned down to Tikka profile. No fluting and I thought it was about the right weight. I had in mind the sort of use you are talking about.

Truflite contours and numbers are different to other barrel makers, well at least I know they're different to Bartlein.
    A #3 Bartlein is a significantly meater & heavier beast than TF #3. My 280ai is a fluted #3 TF and i think its about right as I was wanting a light weight 24in bbl "long range tops" rifle. Bare rifle ended up just on 6lbs and performance is so close to RemMag speeds that its not worth arguing over the difference (~20 fps). Not sure TF have changed their profiles since I did mine ~5 years ago ?

Ring True-Flite and discuss this with them.

They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

I have 6 True-Flite barrels, 5 in .308 & 1 in .223.
    They have won national titles and have lasted many 1000s of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Truflite contours and numbers are different to other barrel makers, well at least I know they're different to Bartlein.
    A #3 Bartlein is a significantly meater & heavier beast than TF #3. My 280ai is a fluted #3 TF and i think its about right as I was wanting a light weight 24in bbl "long range tops" rifle. Bare rifle ended up just on 6lbs and performance is so close to RemMag speeds that its not worth arguing over the difference (~20 fps). Not sure TF have changed their profiles since I did mine ~5 years ago ?
    Did the same with my Ruger 270win. Accurate and was a nice balance.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Thanks, I have been talking with Anthony at True Flite who has been super helpful. Just looking for feedback from others on what worked for them to help me decide. #3 is sounding good so far!

Ive got a bartlien 3 its pretty heavy. what are the specs for the build? action ect. are you going to run 162s ect.
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dicko View Post
    Ive got a bartlien 3 its pretty heavy. what are the specs for the build? action ect. are you going to run 162s ect.
    Current plan is rem 700 WSM SA that I have with fluted bolt, wyatts extended centre feed mag box and sako extractor. Will have the action trued and half cock done. True Flite barrel at 20" and fluted with DPT suppressor. Hi Tech carbon stock and Trigger Tech Special trigger. Then the plan is to use Berger 168 VLDs if I can get them.

sounds like a nice combo a. i once heard with remington actions you are better to true the bolt. but id be keen to true the action also. that sounds like an awesome shooter aye. ive only looked at saum brass once and its an amazing case. so compact yet is can keep up with some larger cases. It has an awesome reputation for accuracy. nice choice.
    stagstalker likes this.

Had a 26” TF UM barrel on my 7practical, contoured to Remington factory magnum contour(not the long range) with no fluting, was very accurate. I don’t think I’d go any lighter in profile for your build.
    I was going to have the action(rem 700LA) trued as well, Grant said it wasn’t needed.
    Cheers
    stagstalker likes this.

I have a true flight 3 , fluted on a tikka . Came off a Remington from one of the forum members.
    It is an heavier barrel than the factory contour of my 7 saum . Or at least it feels like it.
    Try to get eight flutes instead of six if you want it a bit lighter otherwise just go with the next contour down if you really want a light rig.

The standard tikka light contour is definitely lighter than the 3 contour from true flight or the Remington magnum contour if that can help.
    stagstalker likes this.

Get a Bartlein 2B you won’t regret it
    Shoot amazing straight off and don’t have the potential cleaning issues with a button drawn barrel like true flight
    zimmer likes this.

Name:  T3 Range Shot.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  987.9 KBName:  TGK Group 1.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  505.4 KB

Had True flite re barrel my T3 to 7 Saum 20" barrel and DTP asked for same contour as T3 and fluted. With lockdown here in Auckland and Christmas holidays I have not got back to the range since July but progress with 165 TGK pretty pleasing. Have 162 EDLM I have yet to try and hope they go well to.