Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Typhoon F-12 MAXI. Quick Review.

Yep still have the original part.
    It actually needs a bit more than some more weld.
    The boss that the gas piston hits has thin walls and the weld base metal ripped right out of it exposing the inside of the boss.
    It needs a bigger weld and a thicker walled boss.
    I have noticed with both the old carrier and the new one there is about a 5mm gap between it and the gas piston when the bolt is closed.
    Effectively the gas piston gets up a head of steam before smacking the carrier which would increase the hit on the carrier. This may be by design to delay the bolt opening?? but I bet it increases the wear and tear on the carrier.
    A UHMPE shock buff would probably help but would not fix the underlying issue.

If / when it breaks again I will look into it a bit more.
    Not confident to run it at a match as yet.
    Has not proved itself. Needs to run a couple of slabs with no issues first.

Any update on your F12?
    Been looking at getting one for multi gun.
    Any other issues you have found?

No other issues have come up with the shot gun.
    Runs 100% all of the time.
    Can be shot crazy fast.
    Have fitted the alternative comp that GUNSNZ supply which works well but tends to unwind every 2-300 rounds unless some blue lock tight is used.
    I have purchased some of the +3 shots mag extensions.
    They need to be fitted to some of the mags (Too tight to slid onto the mag base) but otherwise works a treat.
    csmiffy likes this.

Just picked up my new F12
    Will take the bolt carrier in to a tig welder and get them to enlarge the weld as there is heaps of room.
    Tried it out last night with the comp muzzle brake and it just sits on target. Will buy some more brake for the other chokes.
    How many mags do you run for multigun not sure how many I will need, I grabbed an extra one when I picked it up.
    What sight are you running on it?
    Im thinking of getting a halo sight like an eotech or vortex amg as I have bad astigmatism and red dots get quite blurry. ( will run one to start with).
    Off to AO on Friday to Ecat then will get the expanders for the mags.
    Have you heard of the charging handle braking? Im on the UK F12 facebook page and they recon the charging handles brake?

I'm following this with keen interest.

Be keen to see how these stack up vs a M2 comp gun(which mine will eventually turn into)

This is what I run on mine currently.
    Has wide field of view and the circle dot is fantastic for shot guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get your replacement bolt carrier re-welded or did you leave it as supplied. Not sure about getting mine welded to increase the size of the weld while its under warranty?

Friends,

I bought a Typhoon F12 Maxi Bronze in Ontario Canada last week. The package are the same from the early post in this forum of Typhoon F12 Maxi Bronze. I would like to share my first hand experience and encountered problems, and hoping to get a replies from you guys especially to those who can make the rifle a perfect 3-gun and hunting gear:

1. Rifle Condition: Almost New and Unfired from my new CGN friend
    2. Upon opening the plastic case and familiar myself with all the goodies and manual instruction plus youtube videos; I dismantled the rifle for degreasing, cleaning and refit of all screws (some are loose)
    3. Then, proper re-assembly and function test (trigger pull weight is amazing 3.6lbs)
    4. Just a comment in regards to "instruction manual," I have a maxi model and no specifics instructions in the manual for the stated model.

Range Time the following morning:
    1. Bought: S&B-Win-Remington 2.75" slugs (1-1 1/8 Oz) and Win Super X Rifled Slugs hollow point with 1760fps 3" (for break-in)
    2. Tried to get the proper sight of the rifle using a single shot slug from S&B then Rem and Winchester - all 2.75" cartridge 1 to 1 1/8 Oz - not cycling or properly opening the bolt as I used the 2 rd mag and as i said putting 1 ammo (slug) at a time
    3. Good Thing: VERY ACCURATE RIFLE using all these slugs, the best is Remington 2.75" slugger rifle slug (10y = -1.6", 25y = -0.3" and dead zero in 50y (+/- 0.5") using a Bushnell TRS25 red dot
    4. I was very happy and shoot some Win 3" cartridge (strong one and cycling properly)
    5. I did another batch of zeroing just to confirm everything with the same sequence of different loads and different distances.
    5. Bad things arised and BE AWARE: the next batch of confirmation in zeroing the rifle was "ALL OVER THE TARGET SHEET" but still on paper 6" by 6" up to 50 yards. I was confused and worried on what went wrong.
    6. I checked the rifle and found 2 things. The most important is the barrel nut infront of the handguard area become loose and the other one which nothing to do with accuracy was a loose butt stock nut.
    7. I tightened these nuts/screws and went back to accuracy shooting and it was all went back to its proper places in different distances (10y, 25y and 50y).

Breaking-in:
    1. After zeroing the rifle, I shoot Winchester Super X Rifled Slugs 3" with 1760fps
    2. The rifle was cycling properly and 100%, it was just too strong for my shoulder, I did used at least 50 rounds of it without any hick-ups.
    3. I tried to run 2.75" slugs again and there was already an improvement, sometimes it cycled sometimes not -- means need more 3" magnum for further break-in

Other concerns:
    1. I watched the video in youtube about this rifle but different model (standard Typhoon F12) and it was in Hamilton, Ontario skeet range. I tried to load the rifle with a single ammo while the 2 rd mag is in the rifle, sometimes I am experiencing where i cannot release the bolt. The release bolt on the left side is solid and i can move it. I don't want to force it and the initial remedy it to remove the mag and it will move.

Guys, these are my experience yesterday. I will buy some more of Win 3" cartridges for further breaking in the rifle and will shoot again ASAP.

Please reply with your experience and help on how to make this rifle run like a champ, how to prevent those nuts from moving, what is the issue with my bolt release lever and proper ammunition.

Thank you.

The easiest fix is ditch the typhoon and buy a vepr 12. Theres a plethora of aftermarket parts available from russia and its cheap buying from there. The AK platform is the benchmark for box fed shotguns at the moment. I have been waiting for an AR style shotgun for years that works and has decent aftermarket parts available for spares and tuning but i guess i will have to keep waiting.

Im loving my Typhoon F12 IPSC,

Ive shot slugs and 1 ounce skeet loads and have had no issues at all with it, An other guy at my club has also bought an F12 and his is running perfectly as well, the interesting thing is we have ours set on different gas settings but they both cycle very well, the hand guard definitely gets hot after 75 rounds.
    I never ran a break in period just lubed it up and it was away and cycling perfectly.
    Only trouble I have had was with the Bushnell TRS-26 that I bought, it would only last 5 rounds and then shut down and needs the battery removing to get it to work again. So I took that back for a refund!
    On the hunt for an Eotech or something similar for it now.
    Did manage to get one club comp in using a paint ball scope but that died on Xmas day as it could not take the round count that was put through it!

Hello, good to read that your F12 works great to you. I just got mine last 2 weeks ago. Typhoon F12 Maxi Bronze. It is very accurate rifle but i am having reliability issues from the magazines. After 60 rounds of mixed slugs, it started to cycle completely especially when using 12g 3” 1600fps slugs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jikatoki View Post
    Hello, good to read that your F12 works great to you. I just got mine last 2 weeks ago. Typhoon F12 Maxi Bronze. It is very accurate rifle but i am having reliability issues from the magazines. After 60 rounds of mixed slugs, it started to cycle completely especially when using 12g 3” 1600fps slugs on it.
    If you can provide some more details of exactly what issues you are having with your Shotgun we may be able to help you.
    Some photos of the jams would help.
    What gas setting are you using?

One thing I found with mine with both slugs and buck shot is rounds with a soft nose (Very front of the case) deformed during being driven into the chamber and this lead them to hang up.
    Some had softer shells then others.
    A change in ammo solved the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Simon, first of all thank you for letting me know to help in my case and happy new year too.

I will provide actual pics this coming days, just busy for a while with my family.

Initial findings from my Typhoon F12 Maxi:
    1. Gas setting - light load
    2. Using S&B, remington and winchester low and magnum slugs ranging from 1100 to 1760fps - found out that it likes for the mean time the magnum load - it cycle completely. Using light load slug won’t cycle
    3. Using low recoil and low load slugs - resulted to single shot mode from magazine - sometimes bolt will be opened and sometimes not. When bolt went open as the last round from the mag, the bolt release botton is stuck up and i can release it, I don’t want to force it and remedied by removing the mag.
    4. The rifle is extremely accurate in all types and power of slugs. After 30 rds it was changed and become all over shots towards the target sheet. I found out that the barrel nut was loosen die to initial shots. Tightened it up and accuracy came back.

Thank you

You say "I removed the safety on the RH side as it dug into my trigger finger under recoil."
    This digs into my finger too. Any issues removing this item- does it need to be replaced with a shim?
    Apart from that, I'm very happy with my F12. Will definitely be fitting a Holosun or similar.