Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Uber light Suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by L.R View Post
    If your wanting it for a bush pig type rifle, I dont think a muzzle can would be the go.
    For robustness, I would definitely go an over-barrel Unit like the A-Tec CMT. But is the wait and hassle worth the 60-80gr weight saving over a Hardy or Gunworks?

L.R
    Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    For robustness, I would definitely go an over-barrel Unit like the A-Tec CMT. But is the wait and hassle worth the 60-80gr weight saving over a Hardy or Gunworks?
    My gun works one is 262gr. HRE maybe lighter, id say its not worth the hassle.

Damn, I really do need to come round sometime for a looksee then!

At that weight, it doesn't sound like a normal Gunworks?

L.R
    Its what they call a Gunworks duralight, short duralium overbarrel. Can catch up on the weekend if your about.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R View Post
    Its what they call a Gunworks duralight, short duralium overbarrel. Can catch up on the weekend if your about.
    The small custom gunworks ones are loud. In my experience they are louder than the standard gunworks models, and, as I said before Gimp's Roedale is quieter than the standard... I dont have experience with Dan's new model first had but reports are that they are quieter than the small custom GW models...

Roedale are tough enough. I dont think it would be more fragile than an over barrel.

L.R
    Yes agreed the duralight is louder than a normal size supressor, but for a bush gun that you only fire every once and a while it takes away the boom and is good for the hearing. It's not the supressor that is fragile, it is the end of a small contour barrel with a 6" leaver screwed on the end 1/2", with no other support. I think a over barrel is the only option on the end of a lightweight bush gun.

I don't know what you do in the bush and how that differs from any other type of hunting, but there is no way any of my rifles are put in a situation, day- to-day where by a the difference between a muzzle forward can and an over-barrel would make any difference. If I fell over and hit the can I would guess it wouldn't matter if it was either type? This is my current suppressor:
    Earplugs
    They work extremely well when I can get them in; the situation you describe above of irregular shots being fired they are fine. The last 7 deer I have shot, I have been able to get them on 5 times...

L.R
    If you fall over and hit the can there is a massive difference in mounting strength between a over barrel and muzzle can. I can't see how you can't see that.

I just can’t see it being a likely scenario that is all... Personally I have been only hunting for about 9 years, mostly bush hunting, and can’t ever remember falling over and hitting any rifle in such a way. That is my experience, yours obviously is different

Hence I don’t understand why I should settle for a less effective solution to my problem based on something that may never happen...

Overbarrel has to be larger and weigh more to have the same volume, the bit back over the barrel contains very little volume

Support advantage of overbarrel is overstated. Plenty of .mil use suppressors around that are muzzle can types, on narrower threads than what half us use

Atec CMM 4 works great for ordinary calibres. For magnum I'd go Maxim. I have a CTM 4 myself I think ???... and a Maxim Titanium.
    Roedale should work as well as it is a direct copy of Atec (apparantly he was caught redhanded at IWA a couple of years ago - he had mixed in an Atec module in a mounted "Roedale researched moderator )

I cannot really comment on other moderator as I haven't used them much, but there is an abundance of good moderator tests in Scandinavian magazines (measured tests, not subjective). Hausken, S&L and that finnish brand I cannot remember the name of all scores well but no moderator does it all (min weight & max moderation) but there certainly is HUGE differences in the effectiveness.

What is this "spigoted muzzle" ?

Name:  ThreadSpec.JPG
Views: 1705
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  spigoted.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  37.0 KB

Spare Parts:
    Spigoted Expansion Chamber
    We also have a Spigoted model that allows owners of rifles already machined with the spigoted type thread, that in use with some of the BR Tuote Reflex T8 Moderators
    to convert to the Roedale Delta Moderator without having to have thier rifles re threaded and without having to make do with an unsightly gap between the Moderator
    and the step of the spigot to the main barrel diameter.
    Spigoted moderators or rear ends are avaialble in the following thread sizes:
    M14x1 Spigoted
    M17x1 Spigoted

Roedale Precision - Sound Supressors / Moderators

Would this go some way to reinforcing the end of your barrel and reducing leverage ?

L.R
    Yes that is there to provide extra support so it doesn't get knocked out of alignment. In my opinion it is nessacery if you don't want you muzzle to be fragile.

I believe it is an adapter as many barrels on the UK market is already threaded for the BR moderators ???
    Edit: See above. What LR says is what I've been told as well, much better support in an overbarrel version with a support at the back as well.

Caretaker
    Wow thats tiny
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time