Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Unusual ammo you've come across

Explosive .303 unusual enough?

Its the bottom one - the other is Armour Piercing.

Both are Japanese 7.7x56R Type 92, used by the Japanese Navy in their Lewis guns...
    gadgetman, Beaker, res and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fernleaf View Post
    Explosive .303 unusual enough?

Its the bottom one - the other is Armour Piercing.

Both are Japanese 7.7x56R Type 92, used by the Japanese Navy in their Lewis guns...
    Arse puckering on firing?

And any vids of the result? ( target area not arse...)
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

res
    That's very cool!
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    I found out recently that Winchester makes subsonic .22 magnum ammo. Why, I'm not quite sure, but we even had a couple of bricks at work, a pest control guy bought it, I'm guessing just to deal with bunnies etc up close quietly with the same rifle he uses for longer range high velocity shots. Another thing is CCI 'Quiet' ammo, it runs at just 710 fps and won't cycle a semi, they also do a 'Suppressor' ammo, which will, both of which are quieter than the regular CCI subs. I just tried some of the 'Quiet' stuff today alongside regular CCI subs and man is it quiet, makes the normal subsonic sound sound like high velocity by comparison. Anyone else come across weird factory ammo?
    Mate I've shot the cci quiet ammo for a few years now and there are a couple of varieties, such as segmented quiet and standard quiet. Both are amazing. About 4 months ago I shot a hare at 90 metres with the standard quiet ammo in my toz 78... at a velocity of 710 fps I was bloody impressed it dropped on the spot. Easily recommend for any one needing/wanting quieter rounds when around neighbours, animals or just in general.
    timattalon likes this.

22lr Israeli tracer ammunition....

Not to be used in a semi! But in a bolt gun that's not worth much definitely a go, it has the same trajectory of the tank guns(unsure which one) and is a insert used for training purposes by the Israeli defence force.... like Star Wars but in real life, not every one works but when they do their fun as hell!

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    22lr Israeli tracer ammunition....

Not to be used in a semi! But in a bolt gun that's not worth much definitely a go, it has the same trajectory of the tank guns(unsure which one) and is a insert used for training purposes by the Israeli defence force.... like Star Wars but in real life, not every one works but when they do their fun as hell!
    Why do you say not to be used in a semi? I have used both the Israeli stuff and elly tracers in semis before with no apparent issues
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Get that one up ya....

Attachment 57882
    Is that one of those 7.92x99 (or something) German anti-tank ones? Like a .50BMG necked down to 8mm, pretty insane.

Tried the Quiets at 100m, the time it takes from the 'ting' of hitting a plate to get back to you is just plain funny. About 100 rounds and no issues with bullets sticking but I'll be mindful of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Think more along the lines of the Toby rifle.
    Yeah that's what I was hinting at, I guess its technically 7.04x63mm =)

Winchester headstamp, definitely reloads, and I have 19 of 'em. Got them from a friend cleaning out his ammo cans and he ran across them. He's never had anything in 7.62x39mm and he doesn't remember where he got these.

300CALMAN likes this.
    Signature removed because some people are intolerant of me being American.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami_JBT View Post
    Winchester headstamp, definitely reloads, and I have 19 of 'em. Got them from a friend cleaning out his ammo cans and he ran across them. He's never had anything in 7.62x39mm and he doesn't remember where he got these.

Looks like someone's loaded 5.56 Sabots for .308 into 7.62x39?
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Why do you say not to be used in a semi? I have used both the Israeli stuff and elly tracers in semis before with no apparent issues
    A good mate had one in his upper fire out of battery with the bolt not fully engaged forward which put the shits up

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    A good mate had one in his upper fire out of battery with the bolt not fully engaged forward which put the shits up
    have had that happen with other ammo once in a gervarm and completly understand how it would put the shits up someone
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    have had that happen with other ammo once in a gervarm and completly understand how it would put the shits up someone
    I wasn't present at the time but yea I would take the same course of action as my mate.

Cheers Res. I can't clarify if the ammunition is for a 105 or a 125mm for trajectory being identical.... you probably know by the sounds!

res
    I wouldn't have a clue sorry
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Tried a packet of them, 22short case with a big arse bullet, could only hit the side of a barn at 10 yards travelling sideways
    Quiet and slow but needed a faster twist.
    Had some, useful slightly further out as I recall BUT twist was apparently only half the story. John Herbert told me that he had visited the Aguila plant and they were using the .22 Short line to make the 60gr .22lr ammo. Consequently, some of the propellant was being shaken out of the cases before the bullets were inserted!
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.