Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Value for money AR15's

There is absolutely no reason for an AR to be stupidly heavy. The problem is that most manufacturers put a heavy profile barrel on them as a default. A light weight barrel makes them totally bareable for people who obsess over weight.
    steven likes this.

Stag model 4 rifle, from nzguns.com about $1900

Name:  ar15-stag-mdel-4-001-29-5-15.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  979.1 KB

The model 1 is a bit cheaper as the A2 sights (not shown) cost a bit.

AIL stock which I love, well worth trying out IMHO.

The 77gr hp, PMC with a crappy scope does well, so it will do better with a good scope and bipod.

Name:  PMC-77gr-SMK-29-5-15-001.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  694.4 KB
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

We'll have dpms ar15's for under $1500 an dpms ar10's for under $2000 in a few weeks.
    steven, seano, Spoon and 3 others like this.

Never heard of DPMS before. Where are they in the ranks compared to NEA/CMMG etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Digit View Post
    We'll have dpms ar15's for under $1500 an dpms ar10's for under $2000 in a few weeks.
    gen2?

Quote Originally Posted by logesearle View Post
    Never heard of DPMS before. Where are they in the ranks compared to NEA/CMMG etc?
    rep for bad QC, average for features, but cheap. the gen2 large frame ARs are the best looking thing they make even with QC issues
    steven likes this.

Iv had a bunch of DPMS

They are completely sweet no issues.

In fact the only real problems Iv seen with any ARs have been caused by the operators poorly modifying them.

When put together well (and this isn't rocket science) they are all totally awesome.

Things to consider...

Don't buy a heavy long one. (I don't care what anybody says, any .223 over 7lb bare is just so dumb)

You will need to get an aftermarket trigger on all but a very few brands as they all kinda suck.

They will all shoot Minute of angle with select ammo and come damn close with everything else regardless of barrel length.

... AR15 equals super cool multi use rifle... as long as it's light weight!!
    steven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    gen2?
    Not in the first shipment but definitely in second. We also have g2's and colts coming in from another source but still waiting on that.
    steven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Watson View Post
    Iv had a bunch of DPMS

They are completely sweet no issues.

In fact the only real problems Iv seen with any ARs have been caused by the operators poorly modifying them.

When put together well (and this isn't rocket science) they are all totally awesome.

Things to consider...

Don't buy a heavy long one. (I don't care what anybody says, any .223 over 7lb bare is just so dumb)

You will need to get an aftermarket trigger on all but a very few brands as they all kinda suck.

They will all shoot Minute of angle with select ammo and come damn close with everything else regardless of barrel length.

... AR15 equals super cool multi use rifle... as long as it's light weight!!
    Agreed. I also see no need for a barrel length over 16" unless varminting or service rifle. 14.5 is about ideal, lightweight profile even better.
    Dr. Watson likes this.

I prefer the rifle length gas systems. Anything less than that has a violent recoil impulse to it. Hate my carbines for that reason, probably why they never get used anymore.

Awesome news Ken, not good for the bank balance though. Might have to look at this sometime after the LSS.

Agreed. I also see no need for a barrel length over 16" unless varminting or service rifle. 14.5 is about ideal, lightweight profile even better.
    How come the acception for varminting? Due to velocity or accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by logesearle View Post
    Yes, DPMS is fine IMHO, especially at that price. They make a lot of their own parts (take a look at Brownells listings for dpms) some consider them "budget" but I'm not sure they deserve that title, lots of snobs about. DPMS is supposed to make THE std AR10 and for $2k that is seriously worth thinking on, I will be, maybe a Xmas prezzy,. Good on Digit that is an aggressive price for both. Think of one as a starter gun, I have a Stag but I have also bought a bare lower and 2 bare uppers to build and extend on with "better" bits as I can afford it.

I did a lot of research before I bought my one. There are a number of manufactuers I'd call tier 1, by that I mean make good basic AR's that should be considered and I did consider. Stag, Windham (was bushmaster) CMMG, NEA, Colt, DPMS. So a Stag model 1 is a 16inch M4 carbine, model 4 a 20inch rifle, but then they all do better barrels, foregrips, triggers etc as addons depending on the duty, eg like varmint, or 3gun competition, all this adds to the cost. eg a match grade barrel is $450US alone so you wont see one on a $1900 rifle, you are going to be paying around $3k. ARs are however modular, easy bolt on so you can buy bits and upgrade as you go along which is one of the reasons they are so popular. Apart from Colt they all do better bits, colt just makes the M4 carbine and that is it, but its considered the bench mark.

Back to what you want, as Beavis says there is no reason to have a heavy AR15 unless you need it, I mean they were designed to be light and handy. I run a 20inch rifle as I wanted the sight radius, slightly lower kick and M16A2 look alike for service rifle shooting but I have to lug that bit of extra barrel weight. If I was carrying it a lot hunting I'd sconsider a thin pencil barrel and 16 or 18inch length. Shorter than 16inch might be "sexy" but they carry dis-advantages.

I would not buy a Gunshitty Norinco, and from what I have seen AR's on TM are simply too expensive for what might be someones elses f***ed up gun, you might as well buy new. At least avoid someones "parts" gun mess. Technology on the AR's is also advancing fast, so an AR15 that has been on a gunshop shelf for 2 or 3 years but price tagged at 2015 prices is one to pass on you can do a lot better on line in terms of price and "newness' and the guys on line all shoot and know these things very well so I think you would get the best advice there.

"We also have g2's and colts coming in "

OK so a M4 colt and a gen2 Ar10, Im made.

F*** how do I hide the CC damage from my wife, or the bigger safe I am going to need.

I need to start saving...

Thats some helpful information steven! How come Spikes Tactical gets no mention? They seem similarly priced to CMMG and NEA