Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Varmint rifle for about that 350m max range?

223 with a vx5 for dialing

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum and Mathias like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    223 with a vx5 for dialing

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Would be a good combo, 350m isnt really a hard task. I had my little 18" barreled model 7 223 at the range today, shooting it while the big guns cooled. I hadnt used it for a while and have just changed the scope on it. Just a 2-10 Weaver Superslam. Quick zero at 100, then back to 400 yds, a nice little group on the money just inside 2". Only 55gr Seirra Gamekings HPBT's

An accurate rifle with a scope that dials well and youre in business.
    7mmsaum, 199p, 25 /08 IMP and 1 others like this.

Was looking at the Bergara HMR today, was surprised to see them in 22-250 with 1:9 twist barrel. They go for under $2000 and have a good contour barrel, not too heavy, not too light, adjustable comb etc. I’m thinking later on down the track when I can afford it that’ll be my next little varmint build. Could chuck the 75gr roughly round the 3300fps mark, which would be a lot of fun.
    Boaraxa and Sakoswarosorted like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Only negative with the bigger calibres is that the recoil is such that you loose your target in the sight picture in the scope, therefore you never get to see the splat! In my experience anything larger than .22-250 will be a problem unless you keep your scope magnification below about 8x.
    I think some people need to look at their shooting process if they’re losing sight picture, agree that you don’t want to be banging off a heap of high recoil loads, but you can still spot your shot even with the surpressed larger magnums if setup properly behind the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Would be a good combo, 350m isnt really a hard task. I had my little 18" barreled model 7 223 at the range today, shooting it while the big guns cooled. I hadnt used it for a while and have just changed the scope on it. Just a 2-10 Weaver Superslam. Quick zero at 100, then back to 400 yds, a nice little group on the money just inside 2". Only 55gr Seirra Gamekings HPBT's

An accurate rifle with a scope that dials well and youre in business.
    Half a minute. Nice shootin' tex
    GWH and kidmac42 like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    Half a minute. Nice shootin' tex
    It's done better with a higher power scope and the 55gr Spbt SGK

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

57JL
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    Agree 100%. You want something with minimal recoil and muzzle jump for varminting, especially if it’s higher volume shooting. A 22-250 is about the limit. A heavy-ish suppressed 243 might be ok, but I would prefer a lighter cal personally. I’m surprised that there are recommendations for the OP to use his 270 for this role. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a great idea to take your deer rifle out to chase some hares as this is great practice. But deer calibers have too much jump and recoil for proper varminting. Yes, you can use light projectiles with reduced loads, but speed rules with this type of hunting. You don’t always have time to range or dial so a high velocity flat shooting round is what’s required.
    If you have to go the 270 way get a 2506 less recoil more velocity.Me I love the 204 Ruger but every one to there own?

Banned
    Sako 223 was the least accurate rifle I've every owned and could not be fixed. This is the not talked about truth of 223's and factory ammo. Get one and you are forced to reload
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    As most of the others have suggested a 1/8 twist 223 is the ticket.

If you like inefficiency, throat erosion, and the limitations of a slow twist barrel (probably), go 22-250.

If you like a relatively poor choice of factory ammo, and the risk of mediocre performance on larger game (like an 80kg billy), go 204
    We are shooting Hare And Rabbits, Goats, fallow need a bit more agreed, I find accuracy of a 223 is just not there?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I find accuracy of a 223 is just not there?
    What accuracy can you hold?
    Tika T3 in deusdeustroix. Sub-minute all day long. Even with silly skinny fluted barrel.
    ChrisW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Sako 223 was the least accurate rifle I've every owned and could not be fixed. This is the not talked about truth of 223's and factory ammo. Get one and you are forced to reload
    Send it to me and I'll tell you everything you were doing wrong :p

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Wow my old bergara 223 single was an absolute laser and with the cheapest belmont 55g soft points too, never even contemplated reloading when belmont could be bought for arou d 70 cents a round

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Wow my old bergara 223 single was an absolute laser and with the cheapest belmont 55g soft points too, never even contemplated reloading when belmont could be bought for arou d 70 cents a round
    Yeah my bog standard late model rem model 7 is an absolute freak of nature. It's actually had two inches lopped off it.

It'll shoot 1.5" to 2" group's at 400 every time. Only with 55gr tho, 60 or heavier and it'll be .75 MOA to 1 moa at best.

I'm still very greatful that @Dreamer sold such an accurate rifle. I won't be selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yeah my bog standard late model rem model 7 is an absolute freak of nature. It's actually had two inches lopped off it.

It'll shoot 1.5" to 2" group's at 400 every time. Only with 55gr tho, 60 or heavier and it'll be .75 MOA to 1 moa at best.

I still very greatful that @Dreamer sold such an accurate rifle. I won't be selling it.

Yeah my bergara was 16" should've never sold that rifle haha
    GWH likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    To each their own. Less flight time is less time to be pushed around by the wind, it's not just about drop.
    That is really not how it works. They don't have short flight times nor do they beat the wind.

What they do is slow down faster than anything else. They are only flat over a similar or shorter distance than a high BC projectile.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk