Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Varmint setup : flat shooting caliber vs varmint reticle / CDS dial

I tend to find that to be meaningfully more "flat shooting" you need about double the powder and reckon you're better off with a moderate speed high BC bullet and dialling or holding with a reticle
    gadgetman and ebf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I tend to find that to be meaningfully more "flat shooting" you need about double the powder and reckon you're better off with a moderate speed high BC bullet and dialling or holding with a reticle
    Watching ur Path films has almost converted me to 6.5 lol

After 250 you are going to have to dial/compensate everything on a small target..

For walk around varminting I reckon you need to carry 2 rifles..

Bit of a waste shooting rabbits 0-150 with the same rifle that you want to work at 400...

Up to 400 some 20s and 224 are options... 17s peter out at 300... over 400 - 6mm the best option, but everything is getting specced up to make it very accurate for small targets...
    GWH likes this.

I want a .17wsm in semi auto with an acog on it. Just cause I have an acog Lying around from a bushmaster I had 2 years ago. ( always had plans to build another AR since the. Not going to happen now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for 204. 180m zero on mine, 1/2 inch high @ 100m, 1/2 inch low @ 200m so it makes the majority of shooting easy as. Past 220m you'll have to dial but you would have to with other calibers anyway. 20cal 40gr Vmax has a higher BC(.275) than the 55gr 22cal Vmax(.255) which means not only will it get there a whole lot faster, but it will get there with a whole lot less wind drift...
    ebf likes this.

Have shot a lot of rabbits and wobblies, both for myself and with clients. After all the hype and hoopla I find any decent rifle in 222, 223 or 22.250 does all I want. The reality for me is that nearly everything is within 350 metres, you have to actually look for long range targets if thats what floats your boat. I have dial scopes, I have BDC scopes, I have FFP and SFP. The rifle that gets used the most now is either a 223 or a 22.250 with BDC. Guess the distance, pick your aim point, hold on the fluffy and let 'er rip! For fast wobblie action a dial scope is way too slow, but we often range the first one if its out around 350 and then guess the rest off that range. BUT my next scope will have a BDC type reticule in FFP - you dont have to wind the power all the way up for the hashmarks to be correct, and for a lot of my shooting I'm only on 6-8x. Keep it simple
    ebf, mikee, Boaraxa and 2 others like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yes that is very true, but its more the windage advantage available with that same high BC bullet pushed faster

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    is there a ffp bdc scope made in 1 x 6 or 1 x 8 suitable for a 223 that cost less than $700 ?
    Try ken at ar 15,he had some the reticle is quite tiny at unity though.
    berg243 likes this.

is there a ffp bdc scope made in 1 x 6 or 1 x 8 suitable for a 223 that cost less than $700 ?
    Not sure, dont often buy scopes, but that would have to be an excellent all round option for most of my shooting, will look in to it

Would pay to check I fits first focal plane but bushnell do an AR 223 line of optics that have a bdc reticle for 55 to 62 grain 223 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Would pay to check I fits first focal plane but bushnell do an AR 223 line of optics that have a bdc reticle for 55 to 62 grain 223 ammo.
    Have a Bushnell AR223 scope on my 223, works fine, being SFP the hashmarks are only accurate on full power - think its 18x. As I rarely go up that high I just use good ol' fashioned holdover. But if you have the time, and a rangefinder, the hashmarks are very accurate. Also have a Bushnell Nitro 4-16 sitting here, brand new in the box. It is FFP, but the reticule may be a bit busy for some people doing some fast shooting on the likes of wobblies. Gonna give it a try on a 22.250. They also make smaller Nitro scopes that are FFP with several types of reticules, a 2-10 might work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Have a Bushnell AR223 scope on my 223, works fine, being SFP the hashmarks are only accurate on full power - think its 18x. As I rarely go up that high I just use good ol' fashioned holdover. But if you have the time, and a rangefinder, the hashmarks are very accurate. Also have a Bushnell Nitro 4-16 sitting here, brand new in the box. It is FFP, but the reticule may be a bit busy for some people doing some fast shooting on the likes of wobblies. Gonna give it a try on a 22.250. They also make smaller Nitro scopes that are FFP with several types of reticules, a 2-10 might work nicely.
    I thought they made smaller mag range AR 223 scopes.

It actually lines up fairly well with other calibers too. 1.7 Moa for the first dot. 4.2 or so for the second. As long as its within reasonable distance them the dots would work. Should be some cheap ones coming up now that their main area of usefulness is lost to us.

I was thinking that flat shooting is most advantage when you dont use / carry a range finder and might extend the distance you can shoot without one say in the 100m to 200m bracket.

Second, sometimes ranging accurately can be difficult and the beam could get a false reading off nearer or further ground when you're lying down on flat ground or ranging an animal on the Crest of a ridge / rise. In that situation your lasered range could be out a bit and a flat shooting cartridge would be ok but a rainbow heavy bullet not so good.
    ebf likes this.