Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Vortex Rangefinders. Razor and Viper in particular but others considered

Vortex Rangefinders. Razor and Viper in particular but others considered

Good Afternoon All,
    I have currently found myself in the market of needing a good quality rangefinder capable of exceeding 1000yds. Not really interested in something that advertises any less than 1500yds as half the time they only get to about half that in less than favorable conditions anyway.
    Ive come from a pair of leica hdb3000 binos which were fantastic but i found them large and annoying to continually carry round on your chest in a harness, particularly on a light fast trip.
    Running small leica ultravid 10x25s now and want to pair it with a quality rangefinder.
    Been looking at either the vortex viper or razor. Particularly as theyre in my price point but also as they offer lifetime warranty. I think theyre the only ones apart from burris that have this?
    Just wanting to know if anyone has either and what they think of it. Not really wanting to spend anymore than 1k. Its currently a hard tossup between the two.
    Any other suggestions welcome. Must be TBR and somewhat waterproof

The Maven RF1 is amazing in similar price range
    Last edited by tibo; 16-11-2023 at 03:10 PM.

I Ran a leica 1600b i think it was but it could range over 2000y. I would grab another if i was in the market.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Thanks. Would be happy to get another leica but their warranty is abit shiet

I also have a Leica rangefinder and happy for it for the basic range range finding that I do
    I remember being impressed by the quality of the SIG KILO 1600 BDX RANGE FINDER optics when I compared side by side. I brought the Leica but more on a mates recommendation but felt after I felt Delta Mike that the Sig was a quality product and impressed me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Make_lead_fly View Post
    Thanks. Would be happy to get another leica but their warranty is abit shiet
    Chances are you will probably drop it and need to claim insurance before then anyway. Or leave it on the hill like I did a couple of times.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Is anyone running a vortex? Seem well price and have enjoyed there riflescope glass. Lifetime warranty is a massive pro. I look after my gear well so would like the assurance itll be replaced if it ever buggers out

Particularly when reading a few threads down that their warranty is crap anyway

Gone the reverse way, same lecia binos and leica 1600 range finder. Now got the vortex fury 5000Ab binos, the ballistic part is wasted on me but its there if I want it. Like to be able to range as I glass, messed a few up with the double devices.

The Delta RF2000 or Delta RFB also seems to be very popular here on the forum. Lots of positive reviews on them.

Thanks. Definately after something witha rubberized alloy housing

Take a look at the SIGs. I have the binos and a the BDX 1000 for light trips with low chance of needing them. Optically theyre nothing to write home about but none of the monocular RFs are. They do have built in ballistics and unlike others I’ve used these will range 1000m even on a bright sunny day. Only $150 on Amazon right now too.
    the.camo.butcher likes this.

One thing to keep in mind with vortex rangefinders (even the AB fury binos) is that the angle compensation mode is only accurate to something like 400m with 15⁰ angles or less. This isnt mentioned on any youtube reviews that i could find. I use my fury's on line of sight mode which also gives me angle that I then punch into phone app. My eyes love the glass I just wish the angle compensation mode was as good as sig, leica etc
    flock likes this.

Thanks @TimC How did you find this out? As i havnt read it anywhere either. Cheers

The sigs units are unreal mate by far the most powerful rangefinder my 1000 gets to 1300 with easy their 2400 I think it is would be brilliant accurate correction read outs as well
    TimC likes this.