Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree3257Likes

Thread: Walnut and blued steel,

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    One I think @kiwijames will appreciate.
    Left hand Sako 85 Hunter in .243win
    Attachment 117815
    Attachment 117816
    It’s a beautiful thing alright. Having handled it I’m even more envious. It’s sparked Sako 85 wooden stock desire in me. Be careful not to stroke it too much.

Latest addition - a mini (sort of)

A 223 has joined the merry band of Mausers that reside in my cabinet - and its set to become a full team member despite its modest beginnings in life.

Top is the Brno Model 21/German barreled 8x57 that I've posted before.

Middle is the 6.5x47 Mauser Kurz original sporting rifle from 1921 (superbly rebarreled/rebuilt from a wreck by Dave Ward) - also posted before.

Bottom is the newest recruit - a 223 Zastava "mini mauser" (so called, they are a fairly distant cousin to a true 1898). It has earned its right to sit with them though, its shooting consistent 3 shot groups of 20mm with 55gn factory ammo at 100 yards, once I get a reload sorted (and it is stabilizing 65gn Sierra's ok) I reckon smaller groups might be on the cards. For those who think the Zastava is always going to be a pigs ear to cycle, this one is pretty darned good. I found that the sear on these often rides too high, causing excess drag on the bolt. Its a simple shim fix to drop it a bit and it improved this one heaps - its not a Vixen but its dammed close, and functions perfectly - for an on the hill varminter, it'll be hard to beat as its the same weight, accuracy and much nicer to carry as the stock doesn't have the squared profile of a Vixen. And after 2 Howa mini's this one has a trigger I can actually shoot well right from scratch.

Name:  20191125_172341[1].jpg
Views: 888
Size:  2.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    A 223 has joined the merry band of Mausers that reside in my cabinet - and its set to become a full team member despite its modest beginnings in life.

Middle is the 6.5x47 Mauser Kurz original sporting rifle from 1921 (superbly rebarreled/rebuilt from a wreck by Dave Ward) - also posted before.

Bottom is the newest recruit - a 223 Zastava "mini mauser" (so called, they are a fairly distant cousin to a true 1898). It has earned its right to sit with them though, its shooting consistent 3 shot groups of 20mm with 55gn factory ammo at 100 yards, once I get a reload sorted (and it is stabilizing 65gn Sierra's ok) I reckon smaller groups might be on the cards. For those who think the Zastava is always going to be a pigs ear to cycle, this one is pretty darned good. I found that the sear on these often rides too high, causing excess drag on the bolt. Its a simple shim fix to drop it a bit and it improved this one heaps - its not a Vixen but its dammed close, and functions perfectly - for an on the hill varminter, it'll be hard to beat as its the same weight, accuracy and much nicer to carry as the stock doesn't have the squared profile of a Vixen. And after 2 Howa mini's this one has a trigger I can actually shoot well right from scratch.

Attachment 124696
    Did you buy the .223 new? 'scope?

Bought secondhand of TM, I got a bit lucky I think as its a hard rifle to photograph well, the stock is a surprisingly nice bit of dark hard walnut - consequently its a tad heavier that they are supposed to be. Scope is a Tasco World Class 3-9 for now, its perfectly functional but I'd like to get better glass on it at some stage. Came with 110 rounds of Frontier 55 gn, which it seems to like just fine. It shoots everything I've put through it to pretty much the same point of impact at 100 yards, so I'd like to get a "if I stumble across a deer on the side of the road" load sorted with a heavier projectile ( @Tahr might explain !!)

64 grain Winchester power point factory for " stumble across a deer "

I always had a mag of it for the AR just in case
    Now I'm using it in the G2

I have 12 boxes of it here if you want a few ?

Attachment 124696

That middle one piqued my interest. Could you tell me more about its cartridge?
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

The chambering is not original . . . the originals were 250-3000, 8x51, 6.5x54 Mauser (not the same as 6.5x54 MS) and 8.15x46 among others. My one originally was 250-3000 but the barrel was very badly pitted/rusted and even my optimistic gunsmith couldn't get it to shoot.

So since I already had a Kurz in 250-3000 (now residing with @nor-west) the original 6.5x54 appealed. However its not a really good fit to the action, much too long. 6.5 Creedmoor and 5.5x47 Swiss were just coming on the scene and both are very similar in length at least to 250-3000.

I chose 6.5x47 as I didn't think any factory ammo would ever make it to NZ (its loaded to 65,000 psi like the Creedmoor) and I was worried about some future owner inadvertently "hot-rodding" it by using factory ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    64 grain Winchester power point factory for " stumble across a deer "

I always had a mag of it for the AR just in case
    Now I'm using it in the G2

I have 12 boxes of it here if you want a few ?
    Just a box would be great, I only need a couple to check point of impact then the rest can be stashed in my daypack (as long as I don't try and take it to Aussie as a carry-on bag without thoroughly cleaning it - my wife tried to kill me after she recovered from the grilling I got from AVsec and it was only one measly 260 round that i'd thought lost on the hill)

northdude
    yea they get a bit funny about finding ammo in luggage boy found a note in his bag after they found a 22lr round in a sweat shirt he borrowed to take away someone was wearing the night before possum shooting

Just a box would be great, I only need a couple to check point of impact then the rest can be stashed in my daypack (as long as I don't try and take it to Aussie as a carry-on bag without thoroughly cleaning it - my wife tried to kill me after she recovered from the grilling I got from AVsec and it was only one measly 260 round that i'd thought lost on the hill)
    Well there are some here when you come pick up all your other stuff and drop off more jobs

Early Christmas present to myself. Sako Finnfire II .22lr with Burris Droptine22 3-9x40 scope.
    Hows that for a sweet piece of wood?
    Name:  IMG_0119.JPG
Views: 545
Size:  337.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0120.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  303.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0122.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  301.5 KB
    muzr257, Seventenths, R93 and 15 others like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    @ChrisW I guess you get first choice on the wood quality aye

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Early Christmas present to myself. Sako Finnfire II .22lr with Burris Droptine22 3-9x40 scope.
    Hows that for a sweet piece of wood?
    Attachment 124972
    Attachment 124973
    Attachment 124974
    Very nice indeed.

I did see a couple in a store in ChCh the other day with similarly patterned stocks. They must be selecting the wood carefully.
    ChrisW likes this.

R93
    Very, very nice...... For a sicko.... I mean sucko.... Farkk.... Sako

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

That stock reminds me of the last tabby bastard I shot with my plastic ruger.
    Damn that is a nice bit of firewood.��
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and ChrisW like this.