Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171854 ... LastLast
Like Tree3257Likes

Thread: Walnut and blued steel,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Nice stag that you have there with your BLR. That looks to be an old Belguim made one as well. What caliber is it?
    I found it hard to get the scope set up right on mine. Trying to get them low enough so that you could get a decent check wield.
    I solved that problem by adding a muzzle break. But with the short barrel it makes it bloody LOUD [/QUOTE]

I had no problem with that scope on it, an ancient steel tube Weaver fixed 3 power. It fitted low and worked fine, right up until it filled up with water about four days before I shot that stag. Perfect white out, and never recovered. I ended up shooting that stag at ten yards, sort of imagining where the cross hairs would be on him.
    I would have gone to open sights - but the foresight had been knocked off the week before. First time that ever happened. The rifle also had a broken extractor - it wouldnt extract at all, you had to open the lever and flip the rifle to one side and back to get the case out each time. Oh, and the magazine used to rattle so I had it in place with electricians tape. It used to feed properly sometimes.
    Just goes to show you don't need flash gear to shoot deer at all. I don't think anything actually worked on the rifle at all except the trigger.
    The only thing I have left of it now is the sling.

I think the BLR's are uglyish, but they are serious hunting rifles. This one is a .308, and yeah its an early Belgium one, with the steel receiver.
    FRST and Marty Henry like this.

MSL
    A serious hunting rifle with a lot of broken rattly bits?

Banned
    Yup. Makes you wonder where all the money goes when you can shoot deer just as well with a gun in a state like that.

I said "serious" hunting rifle, because I have the feeling that some people dont take the modern lever action as being as proper a rifle as a modern bolt action. as if its some kind of affectation or anachronism. A BLR is not. Its probably one of the best scoped bush hunting rifles I had. And it shot as well as any bolt action, so it was good for just as much, although I thought of it as a bush gun.
    Sideshow and mawzer308 like this.

Here's another neat rifle, a South Africa Trophy bring-back from the Boer war. The bust is of a Boer general 'De la Rey' and this was probably one of his men's rifles. As to who carved it? Who knows. The other side has a list of battles the user was involved in.

Last edited by FRST; 21-12-2015 at 10:35 PM.
    gadgetman, res, Boaraxa and 3 others like this.

buell984 likes this.

Interesting piece of history that one!

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Hey , are we taking about stuff we have now, or stuff we used to have . Or Both.
    I'm more than happy to post photos of all wood/blue that I've had , but thought it more appropriate to post stuff I currently own.
    Last edited by jakewire; 21-12-2015 at 11:30 PM.
    BRADS likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nah that's a keeper. Don't you like looking at guns Jake?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Hey , are we taking about stuff we have now, or stuff we used to have . Or Both.
    I'm more than happy to post photos of all wood/blue that I've had , but thought it more appropriate to post stuff I currently own.
    I recommend that you show it all.
    Gibo and FRST like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    Nice stag that you have there with your BLR. That looks to be an old Belguim made one as well. What caliber is it?
    I found it hard to get the scope set up right on mine. Trying to get them low enough so that you could get a decent check wield.
    I solved that problem by adding a muzzle break. But with the short barrel it makes it bloody LOUD
    I had no problem with that scope on it, an ancient steel tube Weaver fixed 3 power. It fitted low and worked fine, right up until it filled up with water about four days before I shot that stag. Perfect white out, and never recovered. I ended up shooting that stag at ten yards, sort of imagining where the cross hairs would be on him.
    I would have gone to open sights - but the foresight had been knocked off the week before. First time that ever happened. The rifle also had a broken extractor - it wouldnt extract at all, you had to open the lever and flip the rifle to one side and back to get the case out each time. Oh, and the magazine used to rattle so I had it in place with electricians tape. It used to feed properly sometimes.
    Just goes to show you don't need flash gear to shoot deer at all. I don't think anything actually worked on the rifle at all except the trigger.
    The only thing I have left of it now is the sling.

I think the BLR's are uglyish, but they are serious hunting rifles. This one is a .308, and yeah its an early Belgium one, with the steel receiver.[/QUOTE]

Yep my mag rattles as well nothing ever gone wrong. Also had similar situation with the scope fogging up so whipped it off and put three in the next red I saw in some very tight bush.
    All three shots you could have covered with your hand.
    Funny that you say your trigger works as this is one of the biggest complaints. Mine sorted now but was on the heavy side ant 4 to 5 pounds. Now at 1.2 which is awesome.
    Ugly yes but in the way that a mother could only love

Here's my BSA CF2 that I'm having the rebuild too. This is what the walnut blank is going on. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  777.3 KB
    buell984 and luv2safari like this.

Sorry about the shacky pic it was taken the day after we won the cup so was a weeeee hungover. You can't see but it's got set triggers which are mint to shot with get the cross hairs in the right spot and you just touch off your shot..

Quote Originally Posted by FRST View Post
    Here's another neat rifle, a South Africa Trophy bring-back from the Boer war. The bust is of a Boer general 'De la Rey' and this was probably one of his men's rifles. As to who carved it? Who knows. The other side has a list of battles the user was involved in.

That's really neat!

There is some beautiful stuff in this thread.

What I like most is a wood and blue rifle that has been around a bit. Battle-scarred is good. Abused is bad. So long as the mechanics are well looked after and the stock oiled occasionally its all good.

I like "used" wood and blue rifles most of all.

This is a rifle I have great affinity for. A micro xbolt. .243. Has never let me down. Done a few miles. Blue worn. Stock dented. Love it.

Wood and blue knocks the pants off plastic and stainless (unless its raining) .
    Pointer, FRST, buell984 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Here's my BSA CF2 that I'm having the rebuild too. This is what the walnut blank is going on. Attachment 43858
    What style are you going for with the blank? Are you going to shape it?