Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By garyp
  • 2 Post By Husky1600

Thread: Wanting to replace a Microcell recoil pad with a Limbsaver

Wanting to replace a Microcell recoil pad with a Limbsaver

Hi Guys
    I'm new to this website... well sort of just haven't really posted much which I must change!

I'm wanting to change my old carbon fibre Tikka HI TEC Tactical hunter (same as what hardys uses) microcell recoil pad with a Limbsaver pad as it is falling to bits.

Has anyone done this with this stock and the limbsaver tikka t3x pad?
    Dimensions are close but I'm not 100% sure.

Also would a different limbsaver, designed for another make and that comes close to the dimensions, fit? (screw holes)
    Sorry but I'd like to buy once and not cry lol

Again any help would be gratefully appreciated
    cheers
    kiwihunter

Take the old pad off and put it on a piece of paper and scribe around it to get the accurate size. Mark the screw holes and then take the drawing to where you are going to buy the pad. I suggest outdoorsupplies in Carterton as his brother is the importer of the pads. However I far prefer using Pachmayr pads as the Limbsavers I used went all mushy.
    Bill999, Foxer, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

I suspect it wouldn't fit because the Hi Tec has a higher comb, I could verify that next week if you can't find out elsewhere (The tikka limbsaver is 125mmm high where it attaches to the stock).
    I'm not convinced that the limbsavers hold up that well either, my older ones are intact but the consistency of well used chewing gum. The microcells are cheaper and 40 grams lighter than the new airtech limbsaver, about 60 grams lighter than the older models, I would rather replace the microcell every couple of years, if you've got a belt sander its a breeze.

I like my butt pads to last........last a looooong time. Unfortunately the microcell, and to a less extent the Limbsaver, dont last that long. Im with Garyp, a Pachmayr, or even one of the Kassnars, last for years, and can take a beating. Very easy to replace with a belt sander, or a sanding disc in a drill, or a searing grinder, or a bench grinder. Holes dont have to line up, just fill the old ones with some sort of epoxy, even 5 minute Araldite will work, and then drill new holes.......if needed. A drop of detergent through the holes in the new butt pad will help the drill and the screwdriver to work easily. Just make sure you continue the line of the butt at the toe/bottom to match the line of the stock, not ground of "square as some people do.
    10-Ring and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    Take the old pad off and put it on a piece of paper and scribe around it to get the accurate size. Mark the screw holes and then take the drawing to where you are going to buy the pad. I suggest outdoorsupplies in Carterton as his brother is the importer of the pads. However I far prefer using Pachmayr pads as the Limbsavers I used went all mushy.
    yeah mine did the same
    most likely some solvent or oil it sat in at the bottom of my safe, but its sticky and leaves marks on what ever it touches now
    recoil wise still pretty great tho

doesn't have to be oil. Apparently some limbsavers a couple of years back were terrible for the rubber going off especially if left butt down like 99.9% are.

Cheers guys. I'll have a look at a few options. I've used limbsavers before and found them comfortable to shoot with especially with the recoil reduction. Again thx for your input