Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Weaver Grand Slam 4-16x44 opinions

Ive had a few weavers and I would have another if i was given it or if one came up 2nd hand cheap but it wouldn’t be my 1st choice

Don’t rule out a Nikon monarch

Awesome scopes
    keneff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Always makes me laugh in these threads when the OP says I want to/can spend $x and people go saying spend $2x or save up $3x.
    Personally I set a spend limit on an item for a reason. If I could justify/afford $2x I would say I can spend $2x. I assume other people do the same.
    Haha yep, I only have 50% say on my budget!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Shearer and ZG47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    How are you sourcing these Tract scopes @Tahr? They look very interesting.
    Straight off their web site. They only direct sell. A dialogue box comes up. Say you are from NZ and what you want and Jon will email you.
    Shearer likes this.

Always makes me laugh in these threads when the OP says I want to/can spend $x and people go saying spend $2x or save up $3x.
    Personally I set a spend limit on an item for a reason. If I could justify/afford $2x I would say I can spend $2x. I assume other people do the same.
    You know what, I've bought enough average gear wishing I'd spent more and bought what I really wanted instead of making do, optics is certainly worth clearing the gorse out of your pockets or selling your ass on the corner to go that little bit better.
    Was only trying to pass on what I have experienced and save you the hassle of buying something you may end up wishing you'd spent more on, and unlikely to get your money back on when you decide you do really need better optics or something more suitable for your needs.
    If the O.P only has $500 you could certainly do worse than a weaver but to be fair I also think there are better scopes out there for $500 too.
    cameronjackwhite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    You know what, I've bought enough average gear wishing I'd spent more and bought what I really wanted instead of making do, optics is certainly worth clearing the gorse out of your pockets or selling your ass on the corner to go that little bit better.
    Was only trying to pass on what I have experienced and save you the hassle of buying something you may end up wishing you'd spent more on, and unlikely to get your money back on when you decide you do really need better optics or something more suitable for your needs.
    If the O.P only has $500 you could certainly do worse than a weaver but to be fair I also think there are better scopes out there for $500 too.
    I think that's what he is wanting to know.
    dannyb likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I think that's what he is wanting to know.
    Yes please, if anyone has something better please let me know. I want to put it on a 223 so I like the 4-16 range for hares, rabbits and magpies to @300 and I'm a simpleton so not really into dialling but like the Weavers ebx reticle with the holdover lines

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Nikon Monarch range is well worth investigating then.
    Shearer and dannyb like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I've got 12 Weaver scopes, from a very old 3x steel tube right through to 3 Grand Slams. I've never had much spare cash and found that Weaver was good value for money. I like 'em, I use 'em, cant fault 'em. Now that I do have access to some cash occasionally I buy Kahles, but if $500 is your budget, then it appears to be a good scope for what you want.
    Brakelie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    I've got 12 Weaver scopes, from a very old 3x steel tube right through to 3 Grand Slams. I've never had much spare cash and found that Weaver was good value for money. I like 'em, I use 'em, cant fault 'em. Now that I do have access to some cash occasionally I buy Kahles, but if $500 is your budget, then it appears to be a good scope for what you want.
    +1

I have one fairly old Weaver and it just trucks along. I think at the price you'd be a mug not to grab it.
    Husky1600 and Brakelie like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ive had 7 weavers now i think, classics, grand slams and super slams. Comparing light transimssion of weaver and leupold, turrets, warranty weaver won. Dialled them heaps, used them hunting and target shooting and have never had an issue except losing a turret once. Emailed weaver and 2 more turned up free of charge. Didnt even pay postage so thumbs up for me but as above, research specs and make decisions you personally will be happy with. No matter what brand amd modelyou get someone will love it and someone will hate it.
    gadgetman, GWH, Brakelie and 1 others like this.

+1 on the Weavers, they're great scopes for the money - I've always thought the Jap made ones were the same if not better then VX1's & some 2's. I'm selling one fairly soon to get another one with more magnification.

I have been using Weavers and Leupolds for over thirty years.

Weaver eye relief is always what they say it is. The older style Leupold scopes tend to have about 2/3 of what is advertised, e.g. the old M8 4x (3.6x28) that I bought new in about 1990. Advertised eye relief was 4.4 inches, Actual eye relief was 3.4 to 3.5 inches. The Weaver K2.5 that I purchased a year or two earlier, had an advertised and actual eye relief of 3.7 inches. The clean sheet designs, e.g. all the Leupold 30mm scopes (like my current variable) seem to be as-advertised.

Parallax adjustment numbers are more reliable on Weaver scopes for close range. For decades Weaver scopes (both steel and alloy tube) were the only AO models on the market that worked properly below 75 metre distance to target. You had to get a hole drilled in the centre of the steel threaded objective lens cover for a Leupold 6.5-20x40 (and you still do) to get reliable performance for .22 lr shooting. About ten to twelve? years back, Leupold brought out a special version of that scope for .22 Rimfire shooting.

I currently own two Leupold variables and have been waiting months for the lazy beggars in Beaverton to make another (standard catalogue item) one for me. I also own two Weavers (one fixed, one variable), a Kahles fixed power, a Schmidt und Bender fixed power and a couple of other optical sights.

Grand Slam is good. Anything lower than Weaver Classic, i.e. Asian made but not at LOW, is dubious. Do proper research and you will not go wrong.

NB When Kahles brought out their Z6 variable power scopes, they spent significant money on new production machinery to obtain the required precision. When Leupold introduced their big 30mm tube variables, maybe twelve years back, they started out with their existing machinery, hence the ridiculously high number of warranty repairs to NZ purchased scopes.
    Flyblown likes this.
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    That's why I'm a bit of a fan of these Tract 'scopes. They are made in the LOW factory using HD glass and the top line ones (Toric) have German Schott glass. As well, they are direct sellers from the States so are cheaper than their competitors - and in many instances way ahead.
    Which ones have you tired so fat Tahr?

Quote Originally Posted by StagDown View Post
    Which ones have you tired so fat Tahr?
    Toric 3-15 ‘scope. Brian has one too. Mine has the ballistic ret and his the t plex. We are both very pleased.
    I’ve used mine out to 500 yds dialling. Excellent zero stop and track well.

I also have the Toric 8x Binos. They are outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Toric 3-15 ‘scope. Brian has one too. Mine has the ballistic ret and his the t plex. We are both very pleased.
    I’ve used mine out to 500 yds dialling. Excellent zero stop and track well.

I also have the Toric 8x Binos. They are outstanding.
    Sorry for hijacking the tread - They look good Tahr, I wonder how the model down performs the Turion 2.5-10x42 or 3-12x50, they look good for the more also - did you have much trouble importing? Was the shipping expensive? Cheers