Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Weaver mount sizes for a Parker Hale SMLE rail

Just got a vintage Kowa scope to throw on my SMLE sporter and it came with a set of Parker hale scope mounts.
    However just noticed that the mounts are actually more narrow than what I had with my old scope.
    They don't fit the alloy rail I had installed on my rifle which I was told were made by Parker Hale, but don't see any markings stamped onto it.
    Was told the scope came off another 303 but must have had a different type of rail installed?
    They look nice mounts was hoping to use them, but I guess I need to look for a different rail instead?
    See photo for comparison.
    Name:  20230603_151215.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  2.02 MB

Have seen this before. What I did was carefully file the sides of the base where you want the rings to go, until the rings fit. When fitted they look great

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    Have seen this before. What I did was carefully file the sides of the base where you want the rings to go, until the rings fit. When fitted they look great
    That would require a fair bit of filing to get it right, you would think that the mounts would be made to match this base.
    Perhaps these rings are designed for a smaller caliber rifle such as a 22?
    What dovetail widths do these rings typically come in?

Apparently PH had 2 different rail sizes. I have a spare PH rail at home and can check if that will fit. If it does fit then you can have it. Or you could use some of the wider rings - do you have a spare set?

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600#2 View Post
    Apparently PH had 2 different rail sizes. I have a spare PH rail at home and can check if that will fit. If it does fit then you can have it. Or you could use some of the wider rings - do you have a spare set?
    I have wider rings but they are poor quality.
    If there is a smaller rail, it would not be a bad thing to switch over, providing the holes line up.

Edit, just measured these rings and with the nut screwed in all the way it measures 13.6mm with my calipers.
    Turns out my .22 has even narrower dovetails so these PH rings would be considered a medium size I guess.
    Last edited by Old_School; 03-06-2023 at 07:00 PM.