Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: What’s with the 3

When hunting I pretty much never fire more than one round anyway. Maybe two rounds on the odd occasion. Not because I'm a good shot. But because they fuck off in a hurry. Lol.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 17-06-2022 at 11:41 PM.
    veitnamcam, mattstr, 6x47 and 8 others like this.

Banned
    As long as you always keep one in reserve for yourself it doesn't matter how many are in the mag
    Sideshow likes this.

I don’t care 3 4 or 5 works mine holds 4
    But wouldn’t be a deal breaker if it only held 3

If you can’t get a deer with 3 shots go home
    And head to the range coz ether your rifles been bumped or you need alot more practice
    Micky Duck likes this.

3 rd mag would be pretty annoying when you have 4 targets. Some of you buggers here could probably get 2 with a single shot, but I tend to need at least one round per target.
    No.3 likes this.

Yeah nar the more the merrier.Those clever Finnish designers that drew up the Sako Vixen must have had me in mind.7 double stacked in a flush mounted & 1 up right on the point of balance & still coming in @ around 6lb.

If you have a rifle that can take AICS bottom metal, just do the conversion, 10 round mag- jobs on

Interesting, but as I did say first time buyers satisfaction without the upgrade.

My BSA is 5 not yet used all five in the mag……but I’m working on that have shoot three and was after that fourth…but number four really didn’t want to play ball. That’s Fallow not goats.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

MB
    Think four rounds is ideal in most situations, but as others have said, you only need one, or maybe two. It's reassuring to have a couple spare though. Beyond that, there's a bit of psychology at play. Like the fisherman who is worried about running out of bait and takes a metric ton or the duck hunter who carts 50 rounds around "just in case"!
    Shearer, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I've got 3,5 and 10 round mags for my tikkas.
    When after deer just use the 3 round unless I'm in culling mode then it's the 5 and 10 round mags.

But 3 round mags are fine for normal hunting
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Mine is a 4 round mag but only ever load 3. It's a habit I got into a few years back when most my hunting was on the tops, I'd put two long range rounds in first then one of my bush loads for the way up. Now I just use one load to do all and have stuck with 3. Actually feels wierd loading more or less. Did someone say OCD??

I was the other way when young and full of enthusiasm, one up the spout, four in the mag - and a spare mag with four in it in my pocket!.

And with the vixen I could get six in the mag at a squeeze plus the one up the spout.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

30 round banana clip
    dogmatix, Sideshow, 223nut and 4 others like this.

I generally feel like I need a few spares handy in my pocket if I have a 3 rd mag,but with a 5 rd mag Im happy to have spares stashed away in my pack.
    Micky Duck likes this.

My rifle has a 4 round mag but it doesn't feed well if I put 4 in it so always just have 3.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Sako double stack. You would be surprised when 4-5 rounds are needed. 3 or 4 deer on a slip and you want to shoot the lot. Can keep your eyes on all the action and not need to reload and loose sight/time. I’ve used 6 once. 5 in mag and 1 up spout. Shot 5 from about 200 yards. 1 deer got 2 shots.