Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: What’s with the 3

My hunting restricts me to what I can carry. One deer is generally plenty, so a 3 shot magazine is plenty. I can only remember once when I emptied a magazine (3+1) and needed another round to finish the job on a mob of pigs. Still, it wouldn't have been the end of the world if I hadn't got the last one.
    Micky Duck and MB like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

My old Lee Enfield has a 10 shot mag; I usually put 3 or 4 into it once I realised that the deer weren't yelling "Banzai" when they left cover of the bush or trying to encircle my position in a blitzkrieg pincer movement....
    No.3 likes this.

The other point, when everything lets go and the contents of the mag dissapear vertically a 3-round mag means less to pick up. Only happened to me once, but it was with a Steyr 30-round mag with 15 in it. And yep I got pushups for that. Not quite sure how it was my fault exactly - but they weren't exactly entering into negotiations on the pushups.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    My old Lee Enfield has a 10 shot mag; I usually put 3 or 4 into it once I realised that the deer weren't yelling "Banzai" when they left cover of the bush or trying to encircle my position in a blitzkrieg pincer movement....
    years ago i had a 5 shot magazine that fitted neatly in the SMLE..... was slightly proud but carried well....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    years ago i had a 5 shot magazine that fitted neatly in the SMLE..... was slightly proud but carried well....
    I had one too, for my spare #4 mk 1. Unfortunately the front of the trigger guard was less streamlined than the 10rd mag would have been!

As dose mine @Shearer Name:  6F259136-84F7-43CE-A9CE-0FE69F66FF73.jpeg
Views: 287
Size:  3.90 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    My hunting restricts me to what I can carry. One deer is generally plenty, so a 3 shot magazine is plenty. I can only remember once when I emptied a magazine (3+1) and needed another round to finish the job on a mob of pigs. Still, it wouldn't have been the end of the world if I hadn't got the last one.
    Shearer likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Haha. Yeah. Those pocket sized ones look pretty good especially if you can drive up to them. I think I would take 2 magazines
    Sideshow and MB like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

They just won’t stand still
    Shearer likes this.

well its persisting down with rain and as cold as a whores heart outdoors.....Im off on a mission tomorrow,have new knife to get blooded,and to make it a double whammy....its long past time the hefalumpgun got some venison blood on it.....so I will not be using a magazine at all......fingers crossed I do not need 2nd shot in a hurry,dropping rod down barrel to eject case takes just a little bit of time....best I make the first round count....
    Finnwolf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well its persisting down with rain and as cold as a whores heart outdoors.....Im off on a mission tomorrow,have new knife to get blooded,and to make it a double whammy....its long past time the hefalumpgun got some venison blood on it.....so I will not be using a magazine at all......fingers crossed I do not need 2nd shot in a hurry,dropping rod down barrel to eject case takes just a little bit of time....best I make the first round count....
    Sorry @Micky Duck what gun are you using?

my hefalumpgun......bit of a forum bitsa...
    barrel blank was made in garage by Doug/homebrew357 turned down to fit inside .12ga by RUMPY
    the cast projectiles came from shooternz and some from padox and more from Brian
    the .12ga is an old astra cyclope that I remember purchasing with my father way back when needed to visit police station twice to do so...first for permit to pecure and 2nd to register it....Name:  hefalump_gun.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  402.5 KB
    Sideshow likes this.

oh nearly forgot..the rear sight came off @Finnwolfs 7.62x39mm
    bumblefoot and Finnwolf like this.