Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Friwi
  • 2 Post By norsk
  • 1 Post By norsk
  • 1 Post By norsk
  • 1 Post By bumblefoot
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 2 Post By norsk
  • 1 Post By norsk
  • 1 Post By JohnDuxbury

Thread: What’s A Mannlicher-Schoenauer Worth?

What’s A Mannlicher-Schoenauer Worth?

Hi Team

I know this question is as long as a piece of string.

My dream rifle is a fully wooded Mannlicher-Schoenauer. However there are many models, many calibers and varying conditions and ages of these beautiful rifles out there.

So what would be the “average” price I could expect to pay for one?

Cheers

Gilly.

Start at about 3k

Have a look on Holts auction in England website

The Daniel Fraser take down they had is probably one of the best ever produced
    JohnDuxbury likes this.

Depends alot on the caliber.

If its in a modern cal and its mint with scope and mounts then mayyyyybe $3000 nz over here but that would be a cased one.

A well used 65x54 MS thats had the receiver drilled for a side mount $500.

New hunters dont want old Rifles and the old guys are dying off.
    gilly and csmiffy like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

gilly likes this.

A honest Mauser sporter for similar money. Rare in that its not been drilled and tapped,a honest gun that $1000 would likely snap up.

https://www.blocket.se/annons/kalmar...x57j/106860242
    gilly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Depends alot on the caliber.

If its in a modern cal and its mint with scope and mounts then mayyyyybe $3000 nz over here but that would be a cased one.

A well used 65x54 MS thats had the receiver drilled for a side mount $500.

New hunters dont want old Rifles and the old guys are dying off.
    I see this with old Winchester's, old shotguns and old high end Sporters. Absolute minimal interest from young people, would be a very sketchy investment long term but hey if they become affordable due to lack of interest they may become expensive again as it generates a new wave of collectors haha.

Have they not risen much in value over the years? I remember an aquaintance of mine buying a brand new one back in the early to mid 1980's and it was $3k then. Cheers :-)
    Shamus_ likes this.

@norsk that is a great deal. If it was a 7x57 it would be even better. Just has character.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Have they not risen much in value over the years? I remember an aquaintance of mine buying a brand new one back in the early to mid 1980's and it was $3k then. Cheers :-)
    3k in the 80's was a lot of money. less so now with inflation. for example 3k in 1985 is equivalent to 9.7k. Thanks to the money printer go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    They have gone backwards.

A tidy 1977 Toyota Corolla is worth alot more than your mates Mannlicher now days.
    bumblefoot and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun nut View Post
    I see this with old Winchester's, old shotguns and old high end Sporters. Absolute minimal interest from young people, would be a very sketchy investment long term but hey if they become affordable due to lack of interest they may become expensive again as it generates a new wave of collectors haha.
    Buy them to enjoy now, thats my motto.

I bought a Winchester 1886 takedown in 45-90 a few years ago. I had always lusted after one but thought they were to dear, then a good mate passed away suddenly so I bought one. Pleased I did so

Life is to short not to enjoy yourself.
    Gun nut likes this.

In the 1980's they weren't Mannlicher Schoenauers, they were Steyrs. Not the same rifle.

In NZ the 1950's and early 60's style Mannlicher Schoenauer were not that uncommon, the ones with the Monte Carlo stock and white spacers etc. Ten years ago they used to be around $1200 - 1500, but now just i the last year they have jumped in price to around $3000 or more. Its hard to pin down though, because Gun City seem to have been selling several of them over the last months, and they over-price their second hand rifles significantly; plus they dont seem to have been selling anyway.

However, the classic 1903 - 1910 model Mannlicher Schoenauer carbines, with the 17-19 inch barrel, with full "mannlicher"stocks chambered in 6.5x54mm are seen as vintage classics and often command higher prices. In the UK these are consisdered to be clapped out old rifles, like BSA's, but over here, they are classic peices and are desirable. I have never met one in person that had a decent bore, they all seem to have been shot with corrosive ammo and never cleaned, and the bores are like drain pipes.

I would kill for a 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine in 6.5x54mm with a good bore, if they weren't family.

I once got cheated on a 270 half stocked M-S wth claw scope mounts etc. The rifle was beautiful peice of mechanical art, but it had a ruined bore that had been dramatically misrepresented. I sold it on to some poor slob to get my momey back, and have managed to not feel too bad about it because the buyer was a Hunting and Fishing shop. But it wasn't my proudest moment and I dont like to think about it much.
    gilly likes this.