Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: What 22-250 in a 1-8 twist.

TLB
    A .243 in 1-8" or 7" would cover pretty much every current caliber you have.
    You can get 58gr vmaxs through to 108gr elds. Still projectiles for less than 50 cents each. I use mine for culling and have shot deer out over 600 yards easy enough so make the 6.5x55 and 25.06 redundant. Then use a smaller projectile for goats and peacocks if you wanted cheap and faster. I use 70gr speer TNT's downloaded for smaller things and at $40 for 100 can't complain.
    Some projectiles punch well above their weight and kill extremely well, 105gr targex absolutely hammers deer.
    If you wanted something a little different that does nearly the same job, get a 6mm arc in mini action.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    A .243 in 1-8" or 7" would cover pretty much every current caliber you have.
    You can get 58gr vmaxs through to 108gr elds. Still projectiles for less than 50 cents each. I use mine for culling and have shot deer out over 600 yards easy enough so make the 6.5x55 and 25.06 redundant. Then use a smaller projectile for goats and peacocks if you wanted cheap and faster. I use 70gr speer TNT's downloaded for smaller things and at $40 for 100 can't complain.
    Some projectiles punch well above their weight and kill extremely well, 105gr targex absolutely hammers deer.
    If you wanted something a little different that does nearly the same job, get a 6mm arc in mini action.
    Only thing is I have plenty of 22-250 brass and associated reloading gear.
    Will use 25-06 for dedicated thermal and my 6.5x55 is part of my soul!
    I have never owned anything in 6mm but never say never!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Only thing is I have plenty of 22-250 brass and associated reloading gear.
    Will use 25-06 for dedicated thermal and my 6.5x55 is part of my soul!
    I have never owned anything in 6mm but never say never!

Yeah I was in the same boat as you last year.
    223 just wasn't cutting it for night work on deer and everything else I owned had too much recoil and is a pain losing sight of the animal at night.
    Was going to go the same route re 22.250 you are contemplating but punched the numbers and it didn't have any benefits whatsoever.
    Had no reloading stuff for a .243 either but after talking to a couple of guys on here I thought I would give it a go. Price of re barrelling wasn't super cheap and I didn't want to wreck one of my current rifles if I didn't like it. So I bought the cheapest 1-8" I could find, a Ruger American for $950. Absolutely love it, kills unbelievably well but only with certain projectiles. Many of the cheap 100gr soft points really lacked any kind of authority compared to the .308 or .270 so after some advice on here I tried those targex, exceptional.
    Ended up buying a heap of brass off here for a good price and dies aren't all that expensive. Sold on it now, going to upgrade to something a bit nicer in the next 12 months.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I'm hearing ya!
    Hopefully got buyers for my 2 sakos and then put my tikka varmint on the market.
    Will make a plan after the loot in my hot little hands.
    Whatever it will be a stock standard rifle that factory lapua brass availability with ten shot capability

Micky Duck likes this.

so ruger american .223 then LMFAO
    looking back to when I was meat hunting goats as a teenager...oh how my current 223 would have been wonderful to have had. headshooting them with open sighted .22lr wasnt quite so easy
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so ruger american .223 then LMFAO
    looking back to when I was meat hunting goats as a teenager...oh how my current 223 would have been wonderful to have had. headshooting them with open sighted .22lr wasnt quite so easy
    If I sell all 3 and have to wait for a tikka I probably will buy a ruger american to fill the gap.
    À tight twist 22-50 is my poison that I want at the moment.
    I just remembered there is my mates howa 243 in the safe but there is something wrong with the trigger as it's super tight.

sounds like getting that sorted will give you good excuse to have a tootoo with 6mm...just because....you can therefore say the box has been ticked and keep looking for the fast twist 22-250 and meanwhile use the new ruger sounds like win win win to me.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Bergara make hmr 22-250,1:9 twist and would take a 10 rounder. I'm chucking 69 tmks out of a 19" Ruger 22-250, very effective peice of equipment. My kids favourite rifle now and both have dibs on it, boy & girl.

What I do like about 22.250 you can call you shots and hits immediately through scope and move onto engaging next target.

Lapua brass is still quite reasonable priced for 22.250.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    Bergara make hmr 22-250,1:9 twist and would take a 10 rounder. I'm chucking 69 tmks out of a 19" Ruger 22-250, very effective peice of equipment. My kids favourite rifle now and both have dibs on it, boy & girl.

What I do like about 22.250 you can call you shots and hits immediately through scope and move onto engaging next target.

Lapua brass is still quite reasonable priced for 22.250.
    Just had a read up about them and they look good.
    I might buy some thing cheapish or second hand till I can get my mitts on that tikka.
    The 22=250 is definitely really nice and easy to shoot and spotting your shots easy.
    I still have my old faithfull varmint 1-12 so might have to hang on to that yet

Micky Duck likes this.

Did your mate try to lighten the 243 Howas trigger by any chance?

Take it of and send it my way? Just the trigger will do.

I can understand the light & flat idea a little better now
    One of my current thermal rifles is a rebarreled Kimber Hunter in 6 Creedmoor with 80 TTSX at 3400 fps
    Very happy with its performance on 4 deer so far, 2 @ 169, 1 @ 336 & 1 @ 353 yards, all point & shoot
    Quiet with no recoil, can easily see the result in the scope, very happy
    Just got the 69 Hammer Absolute Hunters going at 3845 fps. looking forward to see how those even flatter laser beams perform

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I can understand the light & flat idea a little better now
    One of my current thermal rifles is a rebarreled Kimber Hunter in 6 Creedmoor with 80 TTSX at 3400 fps
    Very happy with its performance on 4 deer so far, 2 @ 169, 1 @ 336 & 1 @ 353 yards, all point & shoot
    Just got the 69 Hammer Absolute Hunters going at 3845 fps. looking forward to see how those even flatter laser beams perform
    Post up how those hammers go.
    Kiwi Greg likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    You obviously did not shoot one in the years when suppressors weren't a 'thing'
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    You obviously did not shoot one in the years when suppressors weren't a 'thing'
    I use to use Barnes 75 grain X bullets in a 243 at 3400 IIRC

It was loud, no suppressors back then, they did make ear plugs though

I fried a 22.250 un-supressed barrel and always enjoyed it compared to the same in 308 so I guess its relative, Still ended up with hearing loss though.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi