Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: What to buy? Light weight, 300m accuracy, cheap ammo, pref chassis stock

Hey mate. Recoil isnt noticeable never had any issue with it. Certainly has more than a standard length and weighted 308 but nothing to worry about

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    308mate likes this.
    Aim small , miss small

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    If you want lightweight, chassis you could get a 300 blackout Howa Mini Action chopped to 11 or 12" suppressed in a MDT LSS Lightweight chassis (Target Dynamics stocks these).

Get a lightweight Oceania Defence suppressor if you are happy spending the money on the can or a DPT on it as they are pretty light too.

The suppressor would start just after the handguard bit ends I would think so would look quite cool. @tikka is the man to speak to as he uses a 12" 300 blackout for hunting with a dial up scope.

That setup may give you a lightweight rifle with 250 - 300m range (you would have to ask @tikka max distance he shoots at).

300 blackout only needs something like 10" of barrel to reach max velocity.

Attachment 128828
    Having tried and tested this style of rig, it puts the shooter in a more favorable position when prone. Especially when used with a bi-pod. A sling is also useful when in the seated position and shooting off-hand.

Not all rifles have to be 'super-dooper' light, a somewhat light-ish or heavy rifle can still be a straight shooter if it's well balanced. Often though, traditional-style hunting rifles tend to be 'nose' heavy when suppressed, this can be exacerbated when the rifle is incredibly light or has a bi-pod attached. Which therein makes some light rifles a drawback when shooting off-hand or in an unbalanced shooting position. A missed shot from an unbalanced rifle fired off-hand, would more often then not, lead to low impacts on the vertical plain.

A well balanced heavier rifle would lead to better shot placement and overall improved marksmanship @Norway uses chassis rifles quite a bit with rather good success. Maybe he could chime in on the subject?

Also I should mention this is what made the AR platform very effective in the stand/kneel/prone position. Lightweight ones were awesome. With the bolt being relatively center along with the magazine center to it, barrel up front, and the buffertube, buffer and stock in the rear kept the rifle well balanced.

I miss mine.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 24-01-2020 at 01:10 PM.