Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What do Pig hunters want ?

What do Pig hunters want ?

So I am think of making another special in the range to go with the suppressed 410s etc. and I had a lot of pig hunters at the Sika show ask if my suppressed 410s are good for solids (they are just for shot). The question is what do pig hunters want if I were to make something suitably suppressed and is, as I suspect price a key issue.

If I were to make a dedicated solids single shot 410 with ported barrel and built in over barrel suppressor at around $1K or second option a cut down 38/357 (running 38 spl as its sub sonic) lever action with say the mag tube cut down to 5 and a reasonable over barrel can which would likely be getting on for $1,800 or so.

So what's the thoughts out there, cheap is best or happy to pay more for multiple shots ?

Any other comments welcome, though bear in mind I am looking at readily available base guns (Rossi) and making a few so nothing to complex/expensive.
    AR7 likes this.

oh boy are you opening a can of worms here.....
    MY PERSONAL thought on it is a basic .410 or 20ga with SOME porting towards end of barrel and just a large over barrel tube to catch SOME of the blast..they want light,cheap and it has to be bomb proof....MOST pighunters I have hunted with believe cleaning a gun happens if it rains..the rain does the cleaning....
    if you did away with most of your baffles/changed them to someting less efficent but more tough..maybe just devided chamber sort of like the delislie??? so blst going back into chamber through porting slows down...idea of porting only towards end being velocity will be up there for payload and you only capturing the blast past its use by date....
    but you wont please them all.....my experiments with loading 44 magnum for them has proven that... too slow or too hard or loud or over penertrate or or or loaded hot and work REALLY well..but we want hollow points.... you just got to laugh.
    Fssprecision likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

same deal with rifle cartridge..short light and quiet....really basic bomb proof sights are good too...
    Fssprecision likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    MY PERSONAL thought on it is a basic .410 or 20ga with SOME porting towards end of barrel and just a large over barrel tube to catch SOME of the blast..they want light,cheap and it has to be bomb proof....MOST pighunters I have hunted with believe cleaning a gun happens if it rains..the rain does the cleaning....
    if you did away with most of your baffles/changed them to someting less efficent but more tough..maybe just devided chamber sort of like the delislie??? so blst going back into chamber through porting slows down...idea of porting only towards end being velocity will be up there for payload and you only capturing the blast past its use by date....
    but you wont please them all.....my experiments with loading 44 magnum for them has proven that... too slow or too hard or loud or over penertrate or or or loaded hot and work REALLY well..but we want hollow points.... you just got to laugh.
    Great, thanks

Heavy projectile in 45 long colt would be a good option.
    Way more whomph than a 410 and easy to suppress. And cheap to run.
    Fssprecision likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Heavy projectile in 45 long colt would be a good option.
    Way more whomph than a 410 and easy to suppress. And cheap to run.
    yeah and nah........ same as the 44 magnum.... Im starting to formulate recipe...for MOST of the bailed pigs you want lighter,more expandy projectile that wont over penertrate IF guy on trigger can poke it into brain...maybe need to get then to practise on base of beer can???
    plus a seperate load which I refer to as the SHTF/get out of jail card...full noise heavy expanding that will still penertrate,thems for when your four legged mates are getting a hiding or boris just wont stop,poke it anywhere in front half and put him down fast to hell with meat damage or anything else..just put him down fast.
    Fssprecision likes this.

MY PERSONAL thought on it is a basic .410 or 20ga with SOME porting towards end of barrel and just a large over barrel tube to catch SOME of the blast..they want light,cheap and it has to be bomb proof....MOST pighunters I have hunted with believe cleaning a gun happens if it rains..the rain does the cleaning....AND MUD IS AN EXCELLENT LUBRICANT 🙂
    fixed your obvious omission
    Fssprecision likes this.

yeah and nah........ same as the 44 magnum.... Im starting to formulate recipe...for MOST of the bailed pigs you want lighter,more expandy projectile that wont over penertrate IF guy on trigger can poke it into brain...maybe need to get then to practise on base of beer can???
    plus a seperate load which I refer to as the SHTF/get out of jail card...full noise heavy expanding that will still penertrate,thems for when your four legged mates are getting a hiding or boris just wont stop,poke it anywhere in front half and put him down fast to hell with meat damage or anything else..just put him down fast.
    Yeah nah.
    Heavy 45 is way different to 44 mag. It will run close to sub sonic at full noise. Hence the easy to suppress comment.
    If over penetration is an issue learn about firing zones.
    Micky Duck, Jhon and Fssprecision like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

AR7
    Hi Mate
    a real Wabbit hole you got going here hahaa
    remember the old 303 you did for me and how well that worked .
    maybe a copy of that design but in the cal. of that what the pig hunters like the best
    and so the story continues seeya
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AR7 View Post
    Hi Mate
    a real Wabbit hole you got going here hahaa
    remember the old 303 you did for me and how well that worked .
    maybe a copy of that design but in the cal. of that what the pig hunters like the best
    and so the story continues seeya
    Yea I remember the 303 well ha ha but the thing with this is that it has to be affordable and the base gun and caliber have to be readily available in bulk from the wholesalers.

The pig hunters I knock about with change their minds on rifle / cartridges every time they screw up the shot and the pig rips up their dog(s).

I would be surprised if there was a specific rifle / cartridge option that would be worth making in any kind of numbers. My gang use everything from. 223 Rem to .44 Rem Mag. The most common concerns are (a) muzzle blast and turning young dogs gun shy, (b) rifle length, (c) ammunition availability. Stopping power is a weird one - a pig hunter will go hunt with a mate who uses a .223 and is a cool and calm shot in the bail, and now he wants a .223 as well. Until he messes it up and then he definitely needs a .44.

Last decent hunt I went on, the pig (very dangerous boar) was shot with a full power .44 Rem Mag (factory 240gr PPU) front on. Bullet hit the skull on the top far left side, took out the ear, knocked pig unconscious. Pig came round about 60 seconds later. Not good.
    Fssprecision likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

price length and weight is all they seem to care about

I think they need decent iron sights before a suppressor and I dont think many pig hunters care much about noise as the dogs/pig are already making a racket
    Fssprecision likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    fixed your obvious omission
    Try telling that to your better half and see how you get on lol

The noise thing has changed.folk realise dogs ears last much longer without huge blasts of gunfire around them,hunters too.
    Fssprecision likes this.

Always thought a rifled 410 would be the perfect bail gun
    But then again a rossi lever in 44mag or 357 mag is more than perfect aswell

Maybe buy rossi’s shorten the mag to 3 or 4 shots (plenty for a pigger)
    That would move the tube out of the way so you can put a light weight suppressor on so you look after the dogs ears shorten the barrel as much as possible while still being able to suppress or be above 762mm whatever comes 1st
    Fssprecision likes this.